Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Quick Quote: Jorge Santiago will submit Demian Maia

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Kevin Burns vs. Roan Carneiro and Mackens Semerzier vs. Wagnney Fabiano

Seeing as how Jorge Santiago is a far more accomplished grappler than than Burns and Semerzier, I wouldn't put his past him, as he said, to capitalize on a mistake.

Post #31   7/28/11 9:10:50AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

While anything is possible, for example, Hughes submitted Ricardo Almeida even though, if I recall my facts correctly, Hughes doesn't even have a belt in BJJ. I may be mistaken, and maybe he does have some form of formal belt level that's been awarded to him. Probably a bad example because Hughes' JJ is very underrated because his reputation as a powerful wrestler overshadows his use of JJ when the fight does hit the ground, or when he's on his back. Anyway, it's time to get back on topic before my ADHD kicks into overdrive.

Santiago does have great BJJ, so if Maia were to make a mistake, it is possible, though very very very improbable. I think that if there is anybody in the MW division in MMA that would be most likely to be capable of submitting him, it would be Jacare, who has done it in the past in a BJJ competition if I recall correctly. Even then, it's not likely as BJJ competitions and MMA fights are much different animals, and I doubt either would submit the other. Man would I love to see that fight happen though.

If Santiago were to submit him, I think it would probably be under the circumstances of him having hurt Maia on the feet first. We've seen it multiple times in the past, and I believe one of the gracie's even have a quote about it, a BJJ guys sub defense gets quite a bit worse when they're hurt and their brain is trying to reconnect all the pathways and stabilize the balance and what not of the body, i.e. Torres vs Benavidez.

Except Hughes' submission wasn't BJJ, it was wrestling.

Post #32   7/30/11 5:50:21PM   

mrkennedy

MMA Sensei

mrkennedy Avatar

Career:2,643-1,506
Camp: TKO
Chips:
he have more chance to get hit by a bus

Post #33   8/8/11 2:08:33PM   

mrkennedy

MMA Sensei

mrkennedy Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gartface

Seeing as how Jorge Santiago is a far more accomplished grappler than than Burns and Semerzier, I wouldn't put his past him, as he said, to capitalize on a mistake.

demian maia is not roan carneiro he is waaaaaaaaaaay better grapler

Post #34   8/8/11 2:10:42PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by mrkennedy

Posted by gartface

He never said anything about Carneiro being as good as Maia.

He was providing examples of 'superior' grapplers being submitted by 'inferior' grapplers.

Post #35   8/8/11 3:32:40PM   

mrkennedy

MMA Sensei

mrkennedy Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by mrkennedy

Posted by gartface

He never said anything about Carneiro being as good as Maia.

He was providing examples of 'superior' grapplers being submitted by 'inferior' grapplers.

i understand that

Post #36   8/8/11 5:06:35PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,867-1,038
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Well Jorge Santiago is also a waaaay better grappler than Kevin Burns.

And if they both are way better than either side of the example(Burns/Carniero), than it still parallels.

Post #37   8/8/11 5:55:51PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3