Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Am I allowed to trash Joe Rogan's jockriding?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Russell_Crowe

Learning to Sprawl

Russell_Crowe Avatar

Career:41-30
Camp: Fightin' 'Round the World
Chips:
Because I'm going to anyway. He was definitely at his worst last night during the Herring-O'Brien fight. Luckily his favorites tend to get a good beating (see GSP/Miller or any Joe Riggs fight) but last night O'Brien was dominating Heath and Rogan spent the whole fight making me cringe. Even towards the end when Goldberg was saying "Herring is going to have to go for the finish if he wants to win this one" or comments of that nature Joe kept jumping all over him basically saying "no way man, he could never do that". I'm sick and tired of Rogan acting like he is more or less cornering guys from the commentary booth. He's just lucky the fighters don't get to hear the commentary or he would likely have gotten popped in the mouth a couple of times in his post fight interviews.

Post #1   1/26/07 8:41:59AM   

chrisprevails

prevailing since 1986

chrisprevails Avatar

Career:368-199
Chips:
If you know Joe's personality outside of UFC/Fear Factor you'd know that he wouldn't give a shit about what the fighters think about what he says. Obviously he knows people are probably telling Heath what he was saying. EDIT: Oh yeah, just wanted to say that Heath wouldn't confront Joe about it anyway because everything he said was true.

But anyway, I like the way he does his job. He is ballsy and says what we all say sitting at home on the couch. It's better than some sugar-coated bullshit that comes out of other commentators' mouths (especially in other sports).

Last edited 1/26/07 11:24AM server time by chrisprevails
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   1/26/07 11:23:40AM   

BloodandTears

Standup Guy

BloodandTears Avatar

Career:322-195
Camp: duXup
Chips:

Posted by chrisprevails

If you know Joe's personality outside of UFC/Fear Factor you'd know that he wouldn't give a shit about what the fighters think about what he says. Obviously he knows people are probably telling Heath what he was saying. EDIT: Oh yeah, just wanted to say that Heath wouldn't confront Joe about it anyway because everything he said was true.

But anyway, I like the way he does his job. He is ballsy and says what we all say sitting at home on the couch. It's better than some sugar-coated bullshit that comes out of other commentators' mouths (especially in other sports).

Agree.. I think he's doing his job

Post #3   1/26/07 11:33:05AM   

Russell_Crowe

Learning to Sprawl

Russell_Crowe Avatar

Career:41-30
Chips:

Posted by Russell_Crowe

Because I'm going to anyway. He was definitely at his worst last night during the Herring-O'Brien fight. Luckily his favorites tend to get a good beating (see GSP/Miller or any Joe Riggs fight) but last night O'Brien was dominating Heath and Rogan spent the whole fight making me cringe. Even towards the end when Goldberg was saying "Herring is going to have to go for the finish if he wants to win this one" or comments of that nature Joe kept jumping all over him basically saying "no way man, he could never do that". I'm sick and tired of Rogan acting like he is more or less cornering guys from the commentary booth. He's just lucky the fighters don't get to hear the commentary or he would likely have gotten popped in the mouth a couple of times in his post fight interviews.

Although I'm sure you are a close personal friend of Joe Rogan's you have to admit that when he spends a whole fight talking about how great Jason Miller's ground game is while Jason is laying in guard getting the beating of his life it is time to check your personal preferences at the door and just call the fight. Obviously Heath was getting dominated and putting on a dissappointing perfromance but you'll never see Joe Rogan come down on say Riggs for example when he is getting tooled.

Post #4   1/26/07 11:47:45AM   

chrisprevails

prevailing since 1986

chrisprevails Avatar

Chips:
I'm guessing you were trying to quote me there bud.

Are you really that insecure? Someone disagrees with a comment you made on the internet and you have to start some childish Sherdog "You must be Rogan's friend" bullshit? Ha.

Post #5   1/26/07 12:05:57PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
Personally I think that the UFC was trying to send a message to PRIDE fans and UFC bashers. IMO, and totally specualting, I wouldn't be surprised if the UFC brass told Rogan to tear into Heath a little bit (if he was loosing) to try and give their HW division a little more credibility. Just my opinion, so flame away...

Post #6   1/26/07 2:00:36PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Personally I think that the UFC was trying to send a message to PRIDE fans and UFC bashers. IMO, and totally specualting, I wouldn't be surprised if the UFC brass told Rogan to tear into Heath a little bit (if he was loosing) to try and give their HW division a little more credibility. Just my opinion, so flame away...

Herring hasnt fought in pride in years (04) and he was unsuccessful in all bouts with HW contenders (nog,fedor,CC)

so I dont think its a stab at pride, but I do think UFC should change the rules about knees/kicks to the head when people are on the ground so wrestlers with sloppy takedowns can get punished.

Post #7   1/26/07 2:44:58PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
Herring hasnt fought in pride in years (04) and he was unsuccessful in all bouts with HW contenders (nog,fedor,CC)

so I dont think its a stab at pride, but I do think UFC should change the rules about knees/kicks to the head when people are on the ground so wrestlers with sloppy takedowns can get punished.

I guess what I meant was that a lot of real die hard Pride guys seemed to be of the opinion that Herring (who was somewhat successful in Pride) could run through a weak UFC HW division. Kinda like saying our B level fighters are better than your top notch contenders (not that O'brien is a top notch contender). Anyways, it was just a thought I had...

I agree with the knees&kicks to downed opponents, something has to be done to force fighters to finish as appose to scoring points for the takedown and layin and prayin after that. I think the way the judges score for takedown is a little flawed as well.

Post #8   1/26/07 3:14:31PM   

Ken_Masters

Learning to Sprawl

Ken_Masters Avatar

Career:53-38
Chips:

Posted by chrisprevails

I'm guessing you were trying to quote me there bud.

Are you really that insecure? Someone disagrees with a comment you made on the internet and you have to start some childish Sherdog "You must be Rogan's friend" bullshit? Ha.

You said "if you knew Joe Rogan's personality outside the UFC/Fear Factor..." implying that you knew his personality on a personal level while others do not.

Post #9   1/26/07 5:41:16PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:

I guess what I meant was that a lot of real die hard Pride guys seemed to be of the opinion that Herring (who was somewhat successful in Pride) could run through a weak UFC HW division. Kinda like saying our B level fighters are better than your top notch contenders (not that O'brien is a top notch contender). Anyways, it was just a thought I had...

I agree with the knees&kicks to downed opponents, something has to be done to force fighters to finish as appose to scoring points for the takedown and layin and prayin after that. I think the way the judges score for takedown is a little flawed as well.

I see what you mean now about Pride B level fighters, I still think Herring will be an asset to the UFC and could be an exciting fight with the right matchup...(Kongo, Hardonk, even Vera, guys that like to stand and bang, not human blankets)

Post #10   1/26/07 9:18:35PM   

chrisprevails

prevailing since 1986

chrisprevails Avatar

Chips:
... Meaning if you've ever seen/heard/read anything he says aside from his Fear Factor or UFC commentary.

Post #11   1/26/07 9:18:38PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
This is america , say what you want, but say it with class please and it's all good. Personally I thought Herring was just out of shape and trying to "give the fans a show" first, and win second. Bad idea in my opinion.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #12   1/26/07 9:47:41PM   

strikefirstgear

MMA Regular

strikefirstgear Avatar

Career:54-37
Camp: StrikeFirstGear
Chips:
I always saw it as Rogan is a normal opinionated guy who likes to voice his thoughts. The fact that he does so with enthusiasm and humor just makes it more interesting. I am sure he takes cues from the UFC as to some things but I just dont see him creating fake opinions.

Like what he says or not I enjoy listening to him call the fights. Sometimes it is nice to see him be surprised at the outcome of a fight. I mean how many times have you talked about how good a fighter is only to be surpised? (Franklin vs Silva for me)

Shows he is a fan with favorite fighters like us. He just makes alot more money

Post #13   1/26/07 10:31:47PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Mr. Crowe, when's your next movie? What's it about and who plays in it with you?

Thanks,
Zephead

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #14   1/27/07 11:14:32AM   

ufcbadboy

Learning to Sprawl

ufcbadboy Avatar

Career:184-138
Chips:

Posted by chrisprevails

I 100% Agree with this.

Post #15   1/27/07 6:10:32PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2