Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

MMA History: The Nate Marquardt vs. Ricardo Almeida Controversy

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,669-1,526
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Ever since he was pulled from his UFC on Versus 4 main event with Rick Story, Nate Marquardt has been a subject of much discussion. Some of that discussion has focused on his past, pointing out the number of controversial events he's been involved with before. Two of the biggest controversies took place inside the UFC - there was the Rousimar Palhares fight where Palhares initially questioned if Nate was greased before later withdrawing the complaint and apologizing, along with the notorious 2005 Ivan Salaverry fight that saw Nate test positive for banned substances and suspended. But one other non-UFC incident often comes up. In 2003, a Pancrase fight between Marquardt and Ricardo Almeida turned ugly, giving Marquardt his first taste of controversy. So let's go back and revisit the Almeida incident to try and figure out what really happened.

LINK

Post #1   7/23/11 12:52:45PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,911-1,142
Chips:
I've been following Mma since 2005 and this is the first I've ever heard about this. it looked to me that the only reason Nate pushed the ref away and threw that punch is because almeida wouldn't release the choke after he tapped. We see submissions last well after a tap or even referee stoppage. Look at Nick Diaz' fight with takanori gomi. Babalu held a sub so long against David Heath at ufc 74 that he was cut from the promotion. So its not too uncommon to see submissions last longer then needed. Nate just took matters into his own hands to get him off. Cool blast into the past tho

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Post #2   7/23/11 1:40:49PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,669-1,526
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

I've been following Mma since 2005 and this is the first I've ever heard about this. it looked to me that the only reason Nate pushed the ref away and threw that punch is because almeida wouldn't release the choke after he tapped. We see submissions last well after a tap or even referee stoppage. Look at Nick Diaz' fight with takanori gomi. Babalu held a sub so long against David Heath at ufc 74 that he was cut from the promotion. So its not too uncommon to see submissions last longer then needed. Nate just took matters into his own hands to get him off. Cool blast into the past tho

That's exactly what happened. Then he got a face full of Renzo's shin. The article says Almeida later took the full blame for the incident.

Post #3   7/23/11 1:48:19PM   

cagerage920

Learning to Sprawl

cagerage920 Avatar

Career:153-98
Camp: fight4life
Chips:
it was all in the heat of the moment. you cant hold it against either fighter or the corner.

Thanks for posting this. ive never heard of it before now. pretty interesting

Post #4   7/25/11 2:01:38AM