Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

CCSC finding supports ref in Couture bout

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Judging and refereeing in MMA have recently come under heavy criticism due to a series of questionable actions in high profile matches.

on July 8 at AX Combat 1 on July 8 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada a fight between Kim Couture and Sheila Bird hit the mat, and Bird secured a head scissor on her opponent. As can be seen in the video below (1:50 mark), Couture's entire body went visbily limp, and several long seconds passed before the ref ended the bout. Further, the ref ended it not by tapping the winning competitor or physically pulling the legs apart, but by waving his hands overhead.

Couture quiickly recovered, suffered no damage from the choke, and publicly stated she had no problem with the officiating.

LINK

Post #1   7/22/11 10:50:12AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Chips:
The verdict is in: Veteran refs don't make mistakes!

Post #2   7/22/11 11:31:28AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #3   7/22/11 11:37:58AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,487-1,427
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Gotta agree.

Post #4   7/22/11 11:38:41AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,439-874
Chips:
What, was there some ref who endangered the long term well being of a fighter? No? Alright then.

Post #5   7/22/11 2:04:28PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
i guess 10 seconds to tell if a fighter is unconscious is in the tolerable range.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #6   7/22/11 2:07:30PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,336-1,398
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

What, was there some ref who endangered the long term well being of a fighter? No? Alright then.

u cant be serious..so wait to see a fighter go limp and waitin 10 MORE seconds is ok in ur book..i mean her hand was up, drops down (u could tell she was out)..than he legs flatten straight and her whole body look like it died..but that still ok in ur book..u do know ppl die from gettin choked out (that one monkey game, where kids choke each other out)..im sure glad ur only behind a computer and NOT in the cage reffin or judgin a match...

Post #7   7/22/11 3:04:07PM   

DJSyko

MMA Regular

DJSyko Avatar

Career:1,231-718
Chips:
Why dont they they use the pro-wrestling rules, where they pick your arm up and if it drops 3 times your out? we all know no one makes it to 3 because they usually find their inner strength by the last count. Seems like some of these refs would agree with me

Post #8   7/22/11 3:57:34PM   

Patchedup15

MMA Regular

Patchedup15 Avatar

Career:495-373
Chips:
You know its a tough situation, but i think this guy was at fault. he should have gotten in there sooner. maybe it was just a small mistake but still i want to see measures taken to insure it doesn't happen again

Post #9   7/22/11 5:04:13PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

Posted by pmoney

u cant be serious..so wait to see a fighter go limp and waitin 10 MORE seconds is ok in ur book..i mean her hand was up, drops down (u could tell she was out)..than he legs flatten straight and her whole body look like it died..but that still ok in ur book..u do know ppl die from gettin choked out (that one monkey game, where kids choke each other out)..im sure glad ur only behind a computer and NOT in the cage reffin or judgin a match...

While I agree the ref was an idiot, it would take far longer for a person to be in any real danger (in terms of seconds), so technically pmoney is correct.

Post #10   7/22/11 5:28:31PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,409-1,229
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Post #11   7/22/11 5:31:32PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

Posted by pmoney

While I agree the ref was an idiot, it would take far longer for a person to be in any real danger (in terms of seconds), so technically pmoney is correct.

It would not take far longer for a person to be in real danger.

A fully applied blood choke, or strangle, can take as little as 3 seconds to cause unconsciousness.

I've heard that at between 10 and 20 seconds of no blood flow to the brain, you risk brain damage or even death.

10 seconds is not in the 'ok' range.

Post #12   7/22/11 5:37:05PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,164
Chips:
I would hardly call any fight Kim Couture is in high profile

Post #13   7/22/11 7:32:30PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,439-874
Chips:

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

Posted by pmoney

Just so you and every else are clear on this: I was being sarcastic. I know it doesn't translate well all the time through text, but calm down.

That ref did an atrocious job and should be fired in my book.

Post #14   7/23/11 12:16:15AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,409-1,229
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

Posted by pmoney

Just so you and every else are clear on this: I was being sarcastic. I know it doesn't translate well all the time through text, but calm down.

That ref did an atrocious job and should be fired in my book.

The universal sarcasm indicator is ------->

Works like a charm.

Post #15   7/23/11 12:25:21AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2