Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Top 10 MMA fighters all time.

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
This one could cause some arguments.....but lets have fun with it. Top 10 MMA fighters ever.....

10. BJ Penn (16-7-2)
9. Dan Severn (98-16-7)
8. Randy Couture (19-11)
7. Matt Hughes (45-8)
6. Chuck Liddell (21-8)
5. Bas Rutten (28-4-1)
4. Royce Gracie (14-2-3)
3. Georges St-Pierre (22-2)
2. Fedor Emelianenko (31-3)
1. Anderson Silva (30-4 plus he holds a ton of records)

Honorable Mention:
Don Frye (20-8-1)
Pat Militich (29-7-2)
Wanderlei Silva (33-11-1)
Dan Henderson (27-8)
Shogun Rua (19-5)

Post #1   7/21/11 5:18:41PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,114-1,232
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
1. Anderson Silva
2. Fedor
3. GSP
4. Chuck Liddell
5. Randy Couture
6. Matt Hughes
7. Big Nog
8. B.J. Penn
9. Royce Gracie
10. Wanderlei Silva

Honorable Mention
Mark Coleman
Hickson Gracie
Dan Severn
Sakuraba
Pat Militich
Bas Rutten
Frank Shamrock

Last edited 7/21/11 6:29PM server time by prophecy033
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #2   7/21/11 6:23:38PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Chips:
1. Anderson Silva
2. GSP
3. Fedor
4. B.J. Penn
5. Chuck Liddell
6. Sakuraba
7. Royce Gracie
8. Randy Couture
9. Matt Hughes
10. Dan Severn

There are tons of honorable mentions imo. A lot have already been said.

Post #3   7/21/11 6:30:54PM   

hashyandy4

Super MW King S.O.G.

hashyandy4 Avatar

Career:614-326
Chips:
1 Anderson Silva
2 Fedor Emelianenko
3 Georges St. Pierre
4 Chuck Liddell
5 BJ Penn
6 Randy Couture
7 Matt Hughes
8 Sakuraba
9 Royce Gracie
10 Wanderlei Silva

Post #4   7/21/11 7:01:30PM   

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Career:795-515
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:
Can't believe Fedor is in everyone's top 3. He deserves to be in the top 10, but hasn't fought the competition to be in the top 5.

Post #5   7/22/11 12:45:47AM   

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Chips:
1. Anderson Silva
2. Chuck Liddell
3. GSP
4. Randy Couture
5. Matt Hughes
6. Royce Gracie
7. BJ Penn
8. Fedor
9. Wanderlei
10. Dan Henderson/ Don Frye

Post #6   7/22/11 1:05:22AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tn_rebel

Can't believe Fedor is in everyone's top 3. He deserves to be in the top 10, but hasn't fought the competition to be in the top 5.

I dont like Fedor at all, but he deserves to be in the top 5 based on his record alone. He had a long streak of wins in a row. His competition was tough for the time during his streak. Yes those guys he beat then aren't as good now or even fighting anymore, but at that time, they were some of the bests.

Post #7   7/22/11 9:01:28AM   

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by tn_rebel

I dont like Fedor at all, but he deserves to be in the top 5 based on his record alone. He had a long streak of wins in a row. His competition was tough for the time during his streak. Yes those guys he beat then aren't as good now or even fighting anymore, but at that time, they were some of the bests.

Fedor has never wanted to test himself against the best. That is how he has racked up all those wins. He has made a career out of beating people who couldn't cut it in the UFC. He has dodged competition like Randy Couture his whole career, and 10 years from now everyone will still remember Randy and have no idea who Fedor is. No way he goes ahead of Randy on this list. Randy has fought the best of the best in their primes. Whether he one or lost he always tested himself against the best. How can we put someone in the top 5 that never tested themselves? What if Matt Hughes had dodged GSP and BJ? Would he be considered the best ever?

Post #8   7/22/11 12:04:29PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,637-1,512
Chips:

Posted by tn_rebel

Fedor has never wanted to test himself against the best. That is how he has racked up all those wins. He has made a career out of beating people who couldn't cut it in the UFC. He has dodged competition like Randy Couture his whole career, and 10 years from now everyone will still remember Randy and have no idea who Fedor is. No way he goes ahead of Randy on this list. Randy has fought the best of the best in their primes. Whether he one or lost he always tested himself against the best. How can we put someone in the top 5 that never tested themselves? What if Matt Hughes had dodged GSP and BJ? Would he be considered the best ever?

not again...

Do I even have to argue about this again? Listen, you obviously are fairly new to the sport if you believe that. Do some research, go beyond Fedor's last two fights, and reassess what you said because it is incorrect. It's not an opinion, it's wrong. Period. I could say that the sky is brown and it wouldn't be my opinion, it would just be wrong. That's what you just did here.

Post #9   7/22/11 12:12:39PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
Anderson
GSP
BJ

Those are my only clearcut picks

then I have a less clearcut guestimate, this is based on performance, consistency, quality of competition, and records held....

Fedor
Saku
Big nog
Hughes
Hendo
Evans (because he has consistantly fought better competition than most champions)
Shogun (no title but as good competition as any champ, and he is the only one to REALLY beat Lyoto)

Post #10   7/22/11 12:21:45PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by tn_rebel

not again...

Do I even have to argue about this again? Listen, you obviously are fairly new to the sport if you believe that. Do some research, go beyond Fedor's last two fights, and reassess what you said because it is incorrect. It's not an opinion, it's wrong. Period. I could say that the sky is brown and it wouldn't be my opinion, it would just be wrong. That's what you just did here.

Yes.....I guess this will happen again....apparently we aren't allowed to talk about Fedor's great accomplishments without some inexperienced playground member flying off the handle.........clueless....

Post #11   7/22/11 12:36:39PM   

cagerage920

Learning to Sprawl

cagerage920 Avatar

Career:153-98
Camp: fight4life
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush
Shogun (no title but as good competition as any champ, and he is the only one to REALLY beat Lyoto)

he had the title. he got it when he really beat lyoto

and if shogun is one of the greatest because he is the only person to finish lyoto shouldnt lyoto be on the list too?

Last edited 7/22/11 12:56PM server time by cagerage920
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   7/22/11 12:54:20PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,637-1,512
Chips:
I'm fine with people not liking Fedor. Hell, if people think he's overrated that's fine too, I'll argue with them, but it's their opinion. But to say he ducked UFC fighters when PRIDE clearly had the deeper talent pool bothers me. It also gets to me when people say he fought a bunch of cans. I'm not even to get into the whole thing again, but Kevin Randleman is a great example of a guy who has a .500 record now, but was one of the best in the world in his heyday. Because newer fans go on Sherdog and look up his record on there they think he's a scrub, but that couldn't have been further from the truth when he was in his prime, he was one of the scariest guys out there. It's fine that not everyone wasn't a fan in the old days, but don't act like you have a handle on things back then unless you know what you're talking about. Or just sit under your bridge and wait for a fatter billy goat to walk over it. That's not directed at anyone in particular, it's just a generalization.

Post #13   7/22/11 12:56:56PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by cagerage920

Posted by ghandikush

he had the title. he got it when he really beat lyoto

and if shogun is one of the greatest because he is the only person to finish lyoto shouldnt lyoto be on the list too?

He may have won the title but I personally don't consider a fighter to be a true champion until they successfully defend the belt at least once. That's just my opinion, though.

Post #14   7/22/11 12:57:51PM   

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by tn_rebel

not again...

Your right. I've only been watching since the first UFC was a new release, but no reason to get into that, because Fedor definately has the most devoted, loyal, and hard headed fans in all of mma. But if you look at his resume without your blinders on you will see everyone except the 2 wins over Big Nog have either been UFC rejects or never will be's.

Post #15   7/22/11 1:00:06PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4