Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

For Openly Gay Fighter Liz Carmouche, MMA Offered Open Arms and Bloody Noses

Print  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,557-943
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
When Liz Carmouche first walked into the San Diego Combat Academy, she wasn't sure how the team would take having a lesbian training partner. MMA seemed like a man's world, and maybe not the most accepting one for women in general. For a homosexual woman like herself, Carmouche thought, the reception would only be colder.

But after five years in the Marines under the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy, Carmouche had decided that she was done lying about who she was.

Article

Post #1   7/20/11 6:13:43PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Anyone else shocked that a gym full of guys had no trouble rolling around with a lesbian?

I know lesbians generally repulse us men right?

I bet a gay man wouldn't get the same reception in a lot of gyms though.

Post #2   7/20/11 6:23:37PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,557-943
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Anyone else shocked that a gym full of guys had no trouble rolling around with a lesbian?

I know lesbians generally repulse us men right?

That's a valid point. I would hope that any gym would be accepting of an openly gay fighter, regardless of gender, but I could see discrimination being a problem.

I thought the article was good. It was an interesting read, and definitely gave more insight into a Carmouche's life than most fighter interviews. I just hope people don't start judging her based on her sexuality as opposed to her fighting ability. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more fighters who are gay who wouldn't come out for the same reasons.

Post #3   7/20/11 6:52:04PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,719-1,676
Camp: country KO
Chips:
You end up in some pretty awkward positions in jujitsu, I don't consider myself a homophobe, but I think I would feel weird rolling with a guy who I knew was gay. I'm not trying to be offensive it's just my honest feeling.

Post #4   7/20/11 8:23:34PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

When Liz Carmouche first walked into the San Diego Combat Academy, she wasn't sure how the team would take having a lesbian training partner. MMA seemed like a man's world, and maybe not the most accepting one for women in general. For a homosexual woman like herself, Carmouche thought, the reception would only be colder.

But after five years in the Marines under the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy, Carmouche had decided that she was done lying about who she was.

Article

probably not

Post #5   7/20/11 9:40:00PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I think it would be easier to roll with a gay woman. The potential sexual tension isn't there, so it's easier to stay focused.

Post #6   7/20/11 9:42:27PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
now all we need is Gina Carano to come out saying shes in a relationship with Danica Patrick

all kidding aside, good for Liz for coming out. unfortunately i still think its going to be a long time before a male fighter comes out with the machoism of the sport and the potential homophobia of rolling with a gay man

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #7   7/20/11 11:14:04PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

now all we need is Gina Carano to come out saying shes in a relationship with Danica Patrick

all kidding aside, good for Liz for coming out. unfortunately i still think its going to be a long time before a male fighter comes out with the machoism of the sport and the potential homophobia of rolling with a gay man

There have been a few openly gay guys, I don't think any of them have made much headway in the sport though.

Post #8   7/20/11 11:22:29PM   

Mhunt1140

Learning to Sprawl

Mhunt1140 Avatar

Career:935-568
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
This is a very good story, but again as many have said I am going to guess that it is much easier to accept an openly gay female fighter as opposed to a male one. I know that some have brought up the point that while training (especially in ju-jitsu) there will be some very compromising positions that two people could get into. However, with that being said I hope that one day we will be able to accept openly gay males in all forms of athletics. I personally believe that during sports that is the last thing on anyone's mind so I see nothing against it but I do feel like it may be awhile before there are any high profile openly gay male fighters.

Post #9   7/21/11 12:05:04AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I didn't know she was gay.
Cool that she is open about it, it may be harder for male fighters to come out then women in mma.

Post #10   7/21/11 8:16:19AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by Bubbles

There have been a few openly gay guys, I don't think any of them have made much headway in the sport though.

I thought CB and Ring were, and they have to roll with top guys.

Post #11   7/21/11 8:55:57AM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,022-1,244
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

very true...shes more openly received because she is a woman....

Post #12   7/21/11 9:26:35AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Well IMO what a dumb thing to worry about...Worrying about if fighters are against a lesbian...and cause distractions...

I would say thats no where close to Gina Carano causing distractions...

Post #13   7/21/11 9:57:21AM