Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

The Way It Is And Not Much Else (Mayweather-Sherk)

Print  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Saturday night marks the return to the ring of Oscar de la Hoya as he defends his 154lb. title against super arrogant yet super-talented Floyd Mayweather Jr. in one of boxing’s only “mega fights” in recent memory.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   5/6/07 9:46:02AM   

DevMahon

MMA Regular

DevMahon Avatar

Career:779-401
Chips:
It gets said all the time on the forums, but it's interesting to read it in an article. I have to say, there are even more things stacked against Mayweather in this fight than that writer mentioned. For instance, he's not a one-punch knockout artist- he's a boxer. If your only chance is to knock out a guy before he takes you down, good footwork isn't going to save you. Also, his hands have a tendency to get injured (it's happened on more than one occasion) in boxing gloves; imagine what will happen if he fought with the (I feel like Mike Goldberg) "baby gloves" of the UFC.

I just don't see how he could win. Unless he came out and threw a surprise flying knee as Sherk went for a takedown.

Post #2   5/6/07 2:30:03PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by DevMahon

It gets said all the time on the forums, but it's interesting to read it in an article. I have to say, there are even more things stacked against Mayweather in this fight than that writer mentioned. For instance, he's not a one-punch knockout artist- he's a boxer. If your only chance is to knock out a guy before he takes you down, good footwork isn't going to save you. Also, his hands have a tendency to get injured (it's happened on more than one occasion) in boxing gloves; imagine what will happen if he fought with the (I feel like Mike Goldberg) "baby gloves" of the UFC.

I just don't see how he could win. Unless he came out and threw a surprise flying knee as Sherk went for a takedown.

If he threw a knee and won the fight he would no longer be just a boxer, he would by definition become an MMA fighter.

Post #3   5/6/07 5:11:22PM