Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Alistair Overeem Out of Strikeforce Grand Prix, Antonio Silva to Face Daniel Cormier

Print  
  Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by supatolacyl

Nothing against Cormier, but I would much rather see Chad Griggs replace Overeem in the tourny. He is an absolute beast and regaurdless of which guy they choose to place in the slot it's going to be a step up in competition. So, they might as well go with the guy that's finishing in devistating fashion and that would be the "Grave Digger".

while i agree, Cormier has a bigger name imo.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #31   7/19/11 1:40:22PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Overeem simply wants a little more time to train for this fight and I do not understand why the ufc cannot compromise a bit. He is the SF champ after all but it seems he is being treated just like any another fighter.

Imagine if Brock was in Overeem's shoes, I bet the ufc would honor a simple request such as the one made by Overeem.

My spidey senses tell me SF will soon be like Pride.

Post #32   7/19/11 2:07:24PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,296-1,214
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Overeem simply wants a little more time to train for this fight and I do not understand why the ufc cannot compromise a bit. He is the SF champ after all but it seems he is being treated just like any another fighter.

Imagine if Brock was in Overeem's shoes, I bet the ufc would honor a simple request such as the one made by Overeem.

Read the numerous stories that are out there. It's not the UFC calling the shots. It's Showtime. It was part of the original deal with Strikeforce...the UFC/Zuffa is honoring those deals. So, for the time being, when Showtime says they want to book a show for October, the UFC/Strikeforce listens.

Post #33   7/19/11 2:09:33PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by KungFuMaster

Read the numerous stories that are out there. It's not the UFC calling the shots. It's Showtime. It was part of the original deal with Strikeforce...the UFC/Zuffa is honoring those deals. So, for the time being, when Showtime says they want to book a show for October, the UFC/Strikeforce listens.

I can understand the contract parameters between SF and Showtime, however, how difficult can it be to postpone the Overeem vs Silva fight to a later event? <<<That is where I am having trouble understanding.

I think it can be postpone but the ufc simply do not want to do it. I do not know the contract between Showtime and SF but I am guessing Showtime has no say in who the competitors will be - that decision rests on the fight org, SF, which is now owned by Zuffa.

I just don't like it because I think this mega fight can be saved and put into a later event.

Post #34   7/19/11 2:37:23PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

I can understand the contract parameters between SF and Showtime, however, how difficult can it be to postpone the Overeem vs Silva fight to a later event? <<<That is where I am having trouble understanding.

I think it can be postpone but the ufc simply do not want to do it. I do not know the contract between Showtime and SF but I am guessing Showtime has no say in who the competitors will be - that decision rests on the fight org, SF, which is now owned by Zuffa.

I just don't like it because I think this mega fight can be saved and put into a later event.

Showtime is making the calls (per the original contract). Not Zuffa. They want this particular Grand Prix matchup to take place in September.

Remember when Zuffa wouldn't sign a deal with Showtime a couple years back? I'm guessing this was one of the reasons why. They didn't want Showtime to have this kind of control.

Again...Zuffa is honoring the original contract that Strikeforce had with Showtime just like they said they would.

Post #35   7/19/11 2:44:04PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by KungFuMaster

Showtime is making the calls (per the original contract). Not Zuffa. They want this particular Grand Prix matchup to take place in September.

Remember when Zuffa wouldn't sign a deal with Showtime a couple years back? I'm guessing this was one of the reasons why. They didn't want Showtime to have this kind of control.

Again...Zuffa is honoring the original contract that Strikeforce had with Showtime just like they said they would.

That is one shady deal then.

Post #36   7/19/11 3:03:25PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

It's not shady when both parties agree, brother.

Post #37   7/19/11 3:06:25PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by KungFuMaster

It's not shady when both parties agree, brother.

I guess so.

Post #38   7/19/11 3:09:53PM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Career:8-13
Chips:
what gets me is hes got just over 3 months off... if it takes you more then 3 months to prepare for a fight then you are not a fighter...

this is about something other then with him training...

Post #39   7/20/11 7:51:15AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,542-1,461
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Jekyll

what gets me is hes got just over 3 months off... if it takes you more then 3 months to prepare for a fight then you are not a fighter...

Did a guy that's never had a professional fight in his life just say that AO isn't a fighter???

I'm thinking you're about 1 more post away from being relegated back to Sherdog buddy, keep up the good work.

Last edited 7/20/11 8:23AM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #40   7/20/11 8:22:22AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,260-1,272
Chips:
Its interesting that Showtime would be forcing the UFC to go forward without the champion and the most popular fighter in the tournament.

Doesn't make much business sense to me, but it's not like I've ever run a TV station.

Post #41   7/20/11 9:34:45AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Careful Jekyll Rule 18. Do not post uncredited or unreliable rumors on our forums.

While many speculate he's juiced he's never been caught and until he does I don't think you're supposed to be making claims like that.

Are you a moderator? Or someone who tells moderators when someone breaks a rule?

Post #42   7/20/11 10:47:00AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
My guess is showtime and Zuffa have been at the bargaining table and Zuffa isnt happy so with the current contract Zuffa is basically saying well we can make those cards weak since you wont give us what we want and buying time until the contract is done to shut down Strikeforce...IM saying I dont think teh negotiations went well and Zuffa wants its own channel..

Also from a business standpoint I am sure Zuffa knows if Overeem were to lose basically they bought Strikeforce for more than it was worth...With fedor taking two losses and if Overeem to lose they basically then only got Nick Diaz and Melendez and a overrated Fedor and Overeem who both more than likely lose in the UFC...

I think the UFC would want to keep Overeem out of the mix so he can have a super fight with UFC champion when they fold Strikeforce...

IF Overeem lost in a fight basically the UFC then would be like wtf did we buy this organization for?

Post #43   7/20/11 10:54:11AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by FlashyG

Careful Jekyll Rule 18. Do not post uncredited or unreliable rumors on our forums.

While many speculate he's juiced he's never been caught and until he does I don't think you're supposed to be making claims like that.

Are you a moderator? Or someone who tells moderators when someone breaks a rule?

No, because if that were the case, you would've been gone about 15 "book it's" ago.

Post #44   7/20/11 10:58:56AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,260-1,272
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by FlashyG

Not at all, I'm just someone who doesn't want to see another member get banned.

It can be pretty strict around here, there's no reason to let the guy get banned when he probably didn't even know he was breaking a rule.

The more people we lose, the more boring the forums and game will become.

Post #45   7/20/11 11:11:21AM   

Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4