Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Print  
Posted By Message

hein

Learning to Sprawl

Career:1-1
Chips:
Hey guys

My name is hein and I have been following the mma for only a few months now. So its fair to say I am a newbie. I am really excited about this forum.

I live in south africa in the western cape.

Post #1   7/14/11 4:36:34AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Welcome to the site (and the sport), hein. If you have any questions about the game or the sport in general, do not hesitate to ask. We have some very knowledgeable members who are always willing to help out.

Since you're new to the sport, my suggestion is to watch as many old fights as possible. Familiarize yourself with some of the sports biggest names, both past and present (Royce Gracie, Ken Shamrock, Wanderlei Silva, Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture, Fedor Emelianenko, Hayato Sakurai, Anderson Silva, Georges St. Pierre, etc.) Watch as many videos as you possibly can. Once you latch on to some of these fighters and consider them as some of your favorites, it'll become much easier to learn about the sport. You'll crave more and more and, before you know it, you'll eat, sleep and breathe MMA. This truly is a remarkable sport and it's nearly impossible to burn yourself out on it.

Sorry for little rant. Anyways, welcome aboard. Enjoy your new obsession!

Post #2   7/14/11 8:19:59AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,694-1,543
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Welcome to the Playground. Like Emfleek said, you should really watch as much mma as possible. This site is great for it. Just check out the mma videos section and enjoy.

Post #3   7/14/11 9:02:30AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
Welcome - Have fun in the playground hein.

Post #4   7/14/11 9:02:40AM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,202-1,233
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Welcome - Have fun in the playground hein.

Hey Hein....there was a lady who used to work with me from South Africa (sorry, can't remember where). Whenever she excused herself to go to the bathroom she used to say "I have to go spend a penny.' I half-remember the explanation for that phrase..somethiing about toilets requiring the very small fee of 1 penny, but I cannot remember if that was a phrase she picked up from South Africa or from Ireland (where she was originally from) or if she picked it up from some other place she lived. Any idea?

thanks!

Post #5   7/14/11 11:22:48AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Welcome to the playground and I am sure in no time you will be a knowledgeable fan. All discussions are mostly opinion based discussions - so feel free to join in without hesitation and give your opinions.

Post #6   7/14/11 4:21:57PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
I recommend watching as many Chael Sonnen fights as possible

Post #7   7/14/11 4:37:01PM