Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dana White: It looked like Ryan Bader froze and choked against Tito Ortiz at UFC 132

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,439-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Add another to the growing list of his employees that UFC President Dana White has accused of choking.

During a recent appearance on the Opie and Anthony Show, the conversation turned to the Tito Ortiz vs. Ryan Bader fight that went down on July 2 at UFC 132 and while White was complimentary of Ortiz, he wasn't so nice to Bader.

Article

Post #1   7/10/11 3:23:44PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
i guess everyone who loses chokes. why not call all 12 losers on each card chokers then?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #2   7/10/11 3:51:46PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Uncle Dana has a point.

Post #3   7/10/11 4:02:11PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Chips:
Riddle me this Batman....

would he be saying this if Bader hadn't lost to Dana's most hated fighter?

If he lost to Chuck Liddell for instance, Dana would say, "Chuck hits F%*KINg hard man. He knocks everybody out."

Post #4   7/10/11 4:04:25PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Chips:
I wonder if he would have worded it differently if Bader hadn't lost against Ortiz by choke.

Post #5   7/10/11 4:26:12PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,439-874
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

i guess everyone who loses chokes. why not call all 12 losers on each card chokers then?

Dude, there were only 11 fights on 132. Not every card has 12 fights. Choke job, Bubbles.

Last edited 7/10/11 4:32PM server time by pmoney
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   7/10/11 4:31:32PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,424-810
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Bader looked flat & gun-shy.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #7   7/10/11 5:35:12PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,164
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Bader looked flat & gun-shy.

he absolutely did. He got popped with a pretty good shot too. Dana didn't want Bader to lose. He was one of the new LHW that the ufc could promote and a guy that hadn't won since ken shamrock fought in the ufc derailed that carriage, oh and I guess they have this little feud going on

Post #8   7/10/11 5:42:43PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I'm not a big fan of the way Dana has been calling fighters out like this. I just don't see the purpose, at this level of competition anyone can win and lose, why go around calling out your own roster of fighters when they take a loss? It's one thing if they put on an Anderson vs Maia type of performance, but it's a totally different thing if they go out, try their best and take a loss to a top fighter.

Bader was pretty much a perfect stylistic matchup for Tito. He has poor striking, his wrestling is not explosive enough to cause Tito a lot of problems, and there's no chance of him getting a submission. Bader's main strengths are his wrestling and power. Tito's has great wrestling, a very hard head, and decent standup, I thought the fight could go either way, and the "how can tito win" thread, while it was generally just a bit of fun, I was pretty shocked at how badly everyone was counting Tito out.

I've been saying for a while now that Tito is really not all that washed up, I understand the hate toward him, I've never liked his personality, but people are far too quick to equate their dislike of a fighter's personality with a lack of skill on that fighter's part when they take a loss or two.

I don't think Bader choked, I think he faced a solid fighter who has a stylistic advantage over him. I think that most wrestlers will have an advantage over Bader because he doesn't have explosive, driving takedowns, and his striking is very rudimentary. He wins by bullying people around or landing a big power shot, those tactics are stifled heavily by someone with equivalent or better wrestling and better standup + a good chin.

Post #9   7/10/11 5:42:51PM   

quezocrema0032

In Full Mount

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,904-1,018
Chips:
This is coming from someone who was beyond confident in Bader winning but its true what Dana is saying. Not because he lost because everyone losses but just the nature of the way her lost. He came out very gun shy and looked timid & beat before the fight even started. The nostalgia of it possibly being Titos last fight and him being a huge favorite got to him and he crumbled under the pressure.

Post #10   7/10/11 5:46:20PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,370-793
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I agree with Aether on this subject, other than the rematch with Griffin, he's been competitive against tough competition, to count him out against an unproven and not very versatile fighter like Bader was ridiculous. I think his stamina is still a big question mark until he goes three rounds again, and I think his better days are past him but he's a tough fight for most.

Post #11   7/10/11 6:00:23PM   

quezocrema0032

In Full Mount

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,904-1,018
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

I agree with Aether on this subject, other than the rematch with Griffin, he's been competitive against tough competition, to count him out against an unproven and not very versatile fighter like Bader was ridiculous. I think his stamina is still a big question mark until he goes three rounds again, and I think his better days are past him but he's a tough fight for most.

To you and aether its easy to say with hindsight that Ortiz was a "good style" fight for Bader. Going into the fight you have no reason to believe so. In ortiz's career he had never shown good power in his hands and bader had never been hurt by punches. On top of that Titos wrestling had been exposed by Hamil so we thought Ryans wrestling could have similar success. The only advantage I would have given tito is submissions because he proved in the Machida fight that he does know how to grapple. lastly the only reason I replied is that you wrote Bader was unproven, since when is beating lil nog an easy task? and also finishing Jardine with vicious power. between his gun shyness in the Ortiz fight and him pulling guard against Jones the problem with Bader is deff his mind set.

Post #12   7/10/11 6:51:43PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,456-844
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Does anyone else think that it's revealing that once Tito ditched the b#*ch he won a fight?

Post #13   7/10/11 7:42:19PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

Posted by sbulldavid

To you and aether its easy to say with hindsight that Ortiz was a "good style" fight for Bader. Going into the fight you have no reason to believe so. In ortiz's career he had never shown good power in his hands and bader had never been hurt by punches. On top of that Titos wrestling had been exposed by Hamil so we thought Ryans wrestling could have similar success. The only advantage I would have given tito is submissions because he proved in the Machida fight that he does know how to grapple. lastly the only reason I replied is that you wrote Bader was unproven, since when is beating lil nog an easy task? and also finishing Jardine with vicious power. between his gun shyness in the Ortiz fight and him pulling guard against Jones the problem with Bader is deff his mind set.

I made several posts leading up to the fight stating clearly that I thought Ortiz was still a top fighter, so obviously I did have reason to believe it. I also put money on Ortiz because I knew the odds were ridiculous. I picked Bader, but like I said initially I thought the fight could go either way easily.

Post #14   7/10/11 7:54:32PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Does anyone else think that it's revealing that once Tito ditched the b#*ch he won a fight?

Perhaps....I'm shocked that Tito beat someone not named Ken Shamrock

Post #15   7/10/11 8:48:38PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2