Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Antonio Rodrigo 'Big Nog' Nogueira on Dana White: 'He's Not a God

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,803-1,002
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC President Dana White didn't wait very long to voice his opinion that Wanderlei Silva shouldn't fight again after Silva's KO loss to Chris Leben at UFC 132. That didn't sit very well with another Brazilian legend who's on the downward slope of his own career, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

Nogueira spoke to Brazil's R7 Esportes (translated by Tom Mendes):

"I think he was unfortunate with his comments. They're idols of the sport, (Dana's) not a God who decides on everyone's career.

I loved the fact that Tito Ortiz won his last fight. You see that these people were not champions for nothing. Ortiz, Wanderlei and Fedor were top fighters for a reason. But Dana White can't decide that, he'll have to eat his words regarding Tito (laughs)"

LINK

Post #1   7/8/11 3:52:40PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
It's a business. It's Dana's business. He is the boss, he absolutley is the "God" of his company and decides everyone's fate. It is just like any other job, you can get fired for not preforming and if Dana thinks Wandy is done preforming he can fire him.....therefore Dana is the "God" of UFC.

Post #2   7/8/11 5:01:54PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:

Posted by Theoutlaw08

It's a business. It's Dana's business. He is the boss, he absolutley is the "God" of his company and decides everyone's fate. It is just like any other job, you can get fired for not preforming and if Dana thinks Wandy is done preforming he can fire him.....therefore Dana is the "God" of UFC.

Actually Lorenzo Fertita, Frank Fertita, and the Abu Dhabi Government all own much more stock in the company then Dana, so he clearly is not "God".

Post #3   7/8/11 5:28:27PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Theres no way he fires Wandy unless he lost his next 3, and theyd still be exciting so who knows even then..

Post #4   7/8/11 6:02:57PM   

cagerage920

Learning to Sprawl

cagerage920 Avatar

Career:153-98
Camp: fight4life
Chips:
it might be better for wandy to retire. Dana doesnt want to see a legend lose three in a row. And as far as tito goes, i dont think winning one fight in 5 years is really enough to make dana eat his words

Post #5   7/8/11 6:29:39PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,045-1,204
Chips:

Posted by Theoutlaw08

agree 100%, Dana can do what he wants when he wants. I don't always agree with DW but I do one this and the chuck situation. These guys are legends of the sport but a time comes when you have to save them from themselves. I know a lot of people don't think so but Dana white cares about these guys. And its not like Wanderlei got tko'ed, he got KNOCKED OUT. do you remember the scene after Rampage ko him. Involuntary convulsions. Brutal

Post #6   7/8/11 8:01:20PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,045-1,204
Chips:

Posted by DeadHead988

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Actually Lorenzo Fertita, Frank Fertita, and the Abu Dhabi Government all own much more stock in the company then Dana, so he clearly is not "God".

we'll just call him gods spokesman

Post #7   7/8/11 8:05:10PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,503-878
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I understand Dana has a job to do but for me especialy in my job,any job it would be hard to take orders that drasticly alter or end your career coming from a guy who has never been their himself.
Perhaps they should put Chucks new PR job to use and make him executive of fighters relations or something?

Last edited 7/8/11 8:58PM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   7/8/11 8:58:16PM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:531-352
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I think Dana may seem to be an A-Hole when he pushes certain fighters into retirement eg: Chuck Lidell and Wandy. But he is actually looking out for the fighters best intrest, he doesnt want a guy to be severley damaged or have a harder life and future for their families and themself because they didn't wana hang the gloves up. I'm not sure if Wandy is still capable of performing in the octogan at a level needed to simply surrvive in a fight but against Leben he looked to be war savy veteran whose body had enough. Or maybe he just got caught with a big shot but who knows. Dana is just looking out for the best intrest of the fighters. Nobody wants a fighter to end up really damaged for the rest of their life just because of stubborness. Dana at least has the balls to tell a guy alright listen you have had enough you may feel you can still go and hang with the best but recent history suggests it's time to hang up the gloves. I don't know if that's what he said specifically haha but it would probably be along those lines.

That's why Mohammad Ali is so damaged and mentally and physically broken. It's because all the yes men around him probably encouraged him to go out and fight a young Larry Homes or fight for years after he clearly should have retired or just stop fighting years and years before he actually did. Noone actually had the balls to actually put their foot down and tell Ali listen your not fighting anymore I don't care what you say or do your done buddy. Not the commisions, promoters, managers and other fighters if Dana was around back then and he had substantial power over boxing then he would have done the same thing to Ali as he did to Chuck and Wandy and Ali would probably be a healthy stable person to this day. I'm glad Dana does this cause if he didn't sure we would all be entertained seeing ledgends like Chuck, Wandy and Randy Couture fight past their twilight years but the future for them say the next 10 - 20 years of their life would be effected and I don't wana see that happen to guys who pionered & revolutionised the sport of mma.

Post #9   7/9/11 12:52:24AM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:

Posted by Lesnar1

I think Dana may seem to be an A-Hole when he pushes certain fighters into retirement eg: Chuck Lidell and Wandy. But he is actually looking out for the fighters best intrest, he doesnt want a guy to be severley damaged or have a harder life and future for their families and themself because they didn't wana hang the gloves up. I'm not sure if Wandy is still capable of performing in the octogan at a level needed to simply surrvive in a fight but against Leben he looked to be war savy veteran whose body had enough. Or maybe he just got caught with a big shot but who knows. Dana is just looking out for the best intrest of the fighters. Nobody wants a fighter to end up really damaged for the rest of their life just because of stubborness. Dana at least has the balls to tell a guy alright listen you have had enough you may feel you can still go and hang with the best but recent history suggests it's time to hang up the gloves. I don't know if that's what he said specifically haha but it would probably be along those lines.

That's why Mohammad Ali is so damaged and mentally and physically broken. It's because all the yes men around him probably encouraged him to go out and fight a young Larry Homes or fight for years after he clearly should have retired or just stop fighting years and years before he actually did. Noone actually had the balls to actually put their foot down and tell Ali listen your not fighting anymore I don't care what you say or do your done buddy. Not the commisions, promoters, managers and other fighters if Dana was around back then and he had substantial power over boxing then he would have done the same thing to Ali as he did to Chuck and Wandy and Ali would probably be a healthy stable person to this day. I'm glad Dana does this cause if he didn't sure we would all be entertained seeing ledgends like Chuck, Wandy and Randy Couture fight past their twilight years but the future for them say the next 10 - 20 years of their life would be effected and I don't wana see that happen to guys who pionered & revolutionised the sport of mma.

I generally don't like dana white, i think he is an a-hole, he talks and bashes fighters as if he has ever done it himself. on this particular topic i don't see him as an a-hole, ur right he is just looking out for the guy, he has wanderlei's best interests in my mind, whether he is right or wrong remains to be seen, no question his jaw isn't the same similar to chucks. the difference with tito is ortiz keeps losing decisions, chuck and wanderlei are getting ko'd. but nog is right as well, dana isn't god, if wanderlei wants to fight he will fight, maybe not in the ufc but somewhere else.

the bottom line is he is 1-1 at mw and has been knocked out once since moving down, don't pull the plug on em yet

Post #10   7/9/11 6:37:28PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

UFC President Dana White didn't wait very long to voice his opinion that Wanderlei Silva shouldn't fight again after Silva's KO loss to Chris Leben at UFC 132. That didn't sit very well with another Brazilian legend who's on the downward slope of his own career, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

Nogueira spoke to Brazil's R7 Esportes (translated by Tom Mendes):

"I think he was unfortunate with his comments. They're idols of the sport, (Dana's) not a God who decides on everyone's career.

I loved the fact that Tito Ortiz won his last fight. You see that these people were not champions for nothing. Ortiz, Wanderlei and Fedor were top fighters for a reason. But Dana White can't decide that, he'll have to eat his words regarding Tito (laughs)"

LINK

Neither are you Big Nog.

Post #11   7/9/11 8:17:41PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by cagerage920

it might be better for wandy to retire. Dana doesnt want to see a legend lose three in a row. And as far as tito goes, i dont think winning one fight in 5 years is really enough to make dana eat his words

I think is might a little as it was Bader who he beat. Bader was fighting for No 1 contender status not so long ago.

Post #12   7/10/11 8:40:20AM