Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Chael Sonnen Returns to 205lbs, Faces Lyoto Machida at UFC 136 in Houston

Print  
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Career:795-515
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:
If Randy couldn't get ahold of Machida, neither will Sonnen. Machida by knock out. Not to mention, Sonnen will have to learn how to train and fight without the juice.

Post #16   7/5/11 1:31:24AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Evans couldn't take Machida down because he couldn't collapse the pocket whatsoever. I guarantee that he didn't just choose not to look for them.

I think Machida's movement stifles Sonnen's aggressiveness, and if it doesn't - Machida Thiago's him.

Post #17   7/5/11 1:41:24AM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It will be difficult for Sonnen to to get his hands on Machida, and Machida is a smart fighter, he will probably train with Silva to prepare. And even if Sonnen does take Machida down he has to worry about his glaring weakness... the triangle.

Post #18   7/5/11 1:44:15AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Whenever i pick a Machida fight i ask myself, "Would Chuck Liddell win that fight in his prime?" Almost everytime it's the same result. The only real difference is Machida is more accurate/hit's less hard.

Post #19   7/5/11 1:49:47AM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
Chael about to get stomped, like DMX use to say "STOP TALKING SH*T! Been running your mouth don't know who you fn with!" lol

Post #20   7/5/11 1:54:54AM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Whenever i pick a Machida fight i ask myself, "Would Chuck Liddell win that fight in his prime?" Almost everytime it's the same result. The only real difference is Machida is more accurate/hit's less hard.

Very interesting system. I like where you are coming from with that. It makes perfect sense to me.

Now on to this fight....WTF? I know Chael has been asking for it and it will be interesting but what does this do for either division other than muddy the waters? If he wins, I suppose it could line him up for another shot at Anderson at MW but it will also eliminate a very interesting contender for Jones at LHW. If he loses....then ??

The move back up right now is a little confusing, MW is lacking depth or atleast immediate contenders right now so I would rather see Chael mix it up there.

Unless AS plans on moving up to LHW after/if he beats Okami? I assume Chael knows something that we don't and there is some plan to this. Or maybe it is a just a fight he wanted and he will go back down either way.

Tough first fight back after a long layoff.

Post #21   7/5/11 4:21:57AM   

Lucas

MMA Regular

Lucas Avatar

Career:1,477-867
Chips:
It seems to me this is the UFCs way of punishing Sonnen because i'm pleased to say he will get KO, Machida will be far to illusive and will just pick sonnen apart.

Post #22   7/5/11 6:58:39AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
It would be great if both could lose

Post #23   7/5/11 7:46:11AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Chips:
Sonnen finally gets a chance to back up all his talk about Machida. I'm thinking Machida can definitely control Sonnen's takedowns and he's going to knock him out.

Post #24   7/5/11 9:51:25AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
Sonnen will move forward a lot and get hit a lot.

This fight isn't even fair. Machida wins by producing testosterone unaided. Sonnen should be fighting someone with a testosterone count closer to his own. Someone like Christina Cyborg....... on second thoughts he still loses that one for the same reason. Maybe Arianny Celeste then?

Post #25   7/5/11 10:46:27AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
i remember all this elusive talk and how Sonnen wont get Silva down because he is too quick and has great footwork and Silva by 1st or 2nd round TKO. remind me how that went? it took 24 minutes for Sonnen to take a breather for SIlva to capitalize.

have we ever seen Lyoto off his back? to me, his guard game is as questionable as JDS's

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #26   7/5/11 11:10:54AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
I would like to see this as a main event cause wouldnt it be 5 rounds then...

Post #27   7/5/11 11:12:01AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
I'm basing my predictions off of a 5 round Main Event Non-title fight:
Round 1: Machida plays solid defense for most of the round. Sonnen lands nothing but a few jabs that sneak by the D of Machida. Machida hits Sonnen with a few flush counters causing some bruising to Chael's face. However Chael scores a take down before the final bell of round 1. Judging table is mixed, but gives the round to Machida.

Round 2: Same start to the round, Chael circles and looks for chances to strike or gain a take down. He scores another take down and lands some solid GNP. Machida is on his back for the final 3 and half minutes of this round. This round goes to Chael.

Round 3: Machida comes out with a little more fire and hits Chael with a solid mix of kicks and punches. Chael catches a body kick mid round and takes Machida down for more GNP. Machida again finishes the round on his back. This round goes to Chael again.

Round 4: Machida starts looking desperate and goes for a take down of his own, he sets it up well and gets it, but Chael quickly reverses and gets in to a dominate side control. GNP back then slight lack of aggression and they are stood up with about a minute to go. Chael goes right back in for a take down and gets it, leaving Machida on his back for another round. Chael takes it again and is in line for the win.

Round 5: Machida looking like all hope is lost, tries two quick head kicks, both are blocked. He seems to be looking for a home run, since time is running out. Chael scores and take down and the crowd seems upset he is going to grind a decision, even tho Machida has taken some decent damage via GNP. Chael is in Machida's guard and is working some GNP when Machida catches one of Chael's arms and throws his legs up and hooks in an triangle choke. The crowd is going nuts. Chael has to tap....Machida gets up sprints around the octagon and jumps up to straddle the cage. Its over.....
Rogan and Goldberg are stunned this has happened again to Chael.

All in all, should be a good fight, doesn't make much sense tho.

Last edited 7/6/11 10:32AM server time by Theoutlaw08
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #28   7/5/11 12:24:46PM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:
WOW please I say RIP Chael

Post #29   7/5/11 12:42:13PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards