Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

BJJ vs Japanese JJ

Print  
Posted By Message

DJBlankenship

MMA Regular

DJBlankenship Avatar

Career:634-525
Chips:
Whats the difference??? Why is one better than the other.

I've been doing BJJ for about 9 month now. The guy I started with moved away. Started another class and didn't like the way I was treated(long story). I find this other gym with a 4 stripe brown teaching and for the past 4 weeks, no has even showed up to open the gym. With that being said, I've found a place the teaches Japanese JJ and was wondering just what the F is the difference. All the people at the other gyms say is BJJ is better, but no one can tell me why.

Post #1   7/1/11 6:41:39AM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is much more similar to Judo without the throws, it's better for MMA and fighting. Japanese Jujutsu is more based on self-defense, I have never actually trained in the traditional Japanese version but I have a lot of BJJ experience. I would recommend looking up submissions101 on youtube. The instructor on that website named Ari has a black belt in Jujutsu and teaches both BJJ and JJJ. Look up some of the techniques of both styles and decide which you prefer. Personally, I'm BJJ all the way. If you can. you should also look into 10th planet jiu-jitsu. It's much more advanced, but it's an excellent system and my personal favorite.

Post #2   7/1/11 5:35:24PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by DeadHead988

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is much more similar to Judo without the throws, it's better for MMA and fighting. Japanese Jujutsu is more based on self-defense, I have never actually trained in the traditional Japanese version but I have a lot of BJJ experience. I would recommend looking up submissions101 on youtube. The instructor on that website named Ari has a black belt in Jujutsu and teaches both BJJ and JJJ. Look up some of the techniques of both styles and decide which you prefer. Personally, I'm BJJ all the way. If you can. you should also look into 10th planet jiu-jitsu. It's much more advanced, but it's an excellent system and my personal favorite.

Do you train at 10th Planet?

Post #3   7/1/11 5:50:57PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Chips:
No, I'm in the Chicago area of Illinois and there really aren't any 10th planet gyms in the area. I train at the Midwest Training Center and I get my main 10th planet instruction from Mike Lullo (ufc fighter who lost to Edson Barboza in debut). I'm going to California to visit and train with Eddie Bravo this summer, should be fun!

Post #4   7/1/11 6:07:53PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by DeadHead988

No, I'm in the Chicago area of Illinois and there really aren't any 10th planet gyms in the area. I train at the Midwest Training Center and I get my main 10th planet instruction from Mike Lullo (ufc fighter who lost to Edson Barboza in debut). I'm going to California to visit and train with Eddie Bravo this summer, should be fun!

I met Mike in January at an Eddie Bravo seminar here in Saint Paul. Very cool dude. He's got a very good knowledge of the 10th Planet game from what I saw. I'm planning to make the trip out to Cali to spend a week at HQ sometime in 2012. I'd prefer to do it in the winter to get out of the Minnesota snow, but I have a feeling it might end up being in the summer. I need to up my game a bit to ensure my instructors are comfortable telling Eddie I'll be okay in the advanced classes.

Last edited 7/1/11 6:27PM server time by RyanC
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   7/1/11 6:20:41PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,687-1,701
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I believe that BJJ is a streamlined and more practical in use than JJJ (did I just coin that ..... copyright!) I also believe that JJJ is a bit more artistic and more focused on trips and clinch tactics.

Post #6   7/1/11 8:24:33PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I believe that BJJ is a streamlined and more practical in use than JJJ (did I just coin that ..... copyright!) I also believe that JJJ is a bit more artistic and more focused on trips and clinch tactics.

Pretty accurate assessment

Post #7   7/2/11 3:17:36AM