Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The glass chin myth

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

rface1988

Learning to Sprawl

rface1988 Avatar

Career:591-383
Chips:
I asked my boxing trainer about having a glass jaw and he said that it is a myth. He said its all about beck strength, determination, blocking and rolling with punches, and balance..

He gave me the example of Kieth Jardine and said he has terrible balance, terrible defense and always gets hit in the worst spots. (not to say he isnt a great fighter) but to avoid these Knockouts he needs to keep his hands by his chin, with his chin tucked and stay on the balls of his feet.

any thoughts, on the glass jaw myth?

Post #1   6/30/11 5:21:08PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
That's just simply not true. While it is true that the size of your head, neck and back can help reduce the likelihood of you being knocked out, a KO is still a KO, which consists of a sudden brief power outage to your brain essentially (which is why often times bad KO's result in a seizure like effect) turning off your consciousness instantaneously. Your physiology, either due to how you're built, or how your jaw and neck have been re-aligned from getting punched and kicked over the years, can determine if you're susceptible to KO's based on the location and nature of your nerve tissues.

Post #2   6/30/11 5:48:59PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
determination?

Post #3   6/30/11 6:02:31PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,331-1,251
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
So Jonathan Goulet and his 9 ko losses mean he was hit in exactly the right spot 9 times? I believe bone structure along with the others that warglory pointed out, also plays a big part in the glass chin myth.

Last edited 6/30/11 6:32PM server time by kopower
Edit note/reason: na

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #4   6/30/11 6:32:00PM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,554-951
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Based on what I've been told by a friend who has taken tons of medical classes, and finished his pharmaceutical program, and taken a ton of physiology and general biological science classes, there are a ton of things that factor into it. A lot of the stuff we've mentioned above, and some of what Rogan has stated, that each time you get KOed it becomes easier for it to happen the next time. While just because he has taken all these classes doesn't necessarily make him an expert, which even he will admit that he isn't, he told me that the reason it becomes easier for it to happen over time especially after each successive KO, is because the brain is by no means, stupid. It basically uses the behavioral psychology approach of rewards and punishment. It learns somewhere down the line that when you're taking tons of blows to the head, if it just shuts the system down the punishment stops. According to him, paired with the other things we've all mentioned above, that's why Liddell was always getting KO'd there toward the end so easily. He gets hit and, paired with deterioration of his chin's ability to take a shot, his brain and nervous system started having a little conversation with each other and were like "Based on what you've learned brain, if we work together and just shut the system down, this will stop right?"
"Why, yes, it certainly will, Nervous system"
"Okay, on three, we flip the switch"

Now, he could be way off base, and I could be feeding you all a bunch of BS. I'm just relaying what I've been told, and you can all take it for a grain of salt. I could be wrong.

Post #5   6/30/11 7:34:50PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,631-1,351
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

determination?

I agree with Grappler. Determination to not get KO'd is the only deciding factor in whether you get KO'd or not.

Post #6   6/30/11 7:44:34PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
It's a little of genetics and a little physical, but I got to agree with a lot of it being how you absorb the punch.

Post #7   6/30/11 7:45:02PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,597-974
Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Based on what I've been told by a friend who has taken tons of medical classes, and finished his pharmaceutical program, and taken a ton of physiology and general biological science classes, there are a ton of things that factor into it. A lot of the stuff we've mentioned above, and some of what Rogan has stated, that each time you get KOed it becomes easier for it to happen the next time. While just because he has taken all these classes doesn't necessarily make him an expert, which even he will admit that he isn't, he told me that the reason it becomes easier for it to happen over time especially after each successive KO, is because the brain is by no means, stupid. It basically uses the behavioral psychology approach of rewards and punishment. It learns somewhere down the line that when you're taking tons of blows to the head, if it just shuts the system down the punishment stops. According to him, paired with the other things we've all mentioned above, that's why Liddell was always getting KO'd there toward the end so easily. He gets hit and, paired with deterioration of his chin's ability to take a shot, his brain and nervous system started having a little conversation with each other and were like "Based on what you've learned brain, if we work together and just shut the system down, this will stop right?"
"Why, yes, it certainly will, Nervous system"
"Okay, on three, we flip the switch"

Now, he could be way off base, and I could be feeding you all a bunch of BS. I'm just relaying what I've been told, and you can all take it for a grain of salt. I could be wrong.

I feel that there are some sound explanations here. That once you've been knocked out, it can happen easier in the future, makes sense. Take getting drunk. (that's my area of expertise!) If you have never blacked out before, you're lucky. But what happens, is once you've blacked out, future blackouts happen more frequently. You put that alcohol in your body, and your brain says, "Ah, I know where this is going", and you black out quicker.

Last edited 6/30/11 8:20PM server time by pmoney
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   6/30/11 8:19:37PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Chips:
You can look at a chin and see how fortified it is.

Post #9   7/1/11 5:38:14AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,356-1,302
Chips:
Is Eric Lindros here? He could help us with his experience...

Post #10   7/1/11 11:09:21AM   

rface1988

Learning to Sprawl

rface1988 Avatar

Career:591-383
Chips:
Yes, once you get knocked out, youn are more likely to get knocked again.

Do you think that stress levels have something to do with it? If you do not get proper sleep, poor nutrition, constant stress.. Your brain will feel foggy, dizzy and unclear. Just an observation.. When i spar after a night of poor sleep my brain can't handle the shots as well.

Post #11   7/1/11 12:28:40PM   

Pskinner_mma314

In Full Mount

Pskinner_mma314 Avatar

Career:191-166
Chips:
gotta agree with alot that has been said above.....i'm in medical school at the moment and we spent almost 5 weeks of an 8 week class just on studying the brain and head..........yes if you have a concussion in football, you are now that much more susceptible to get another one, if you get KO'd, you are that much more susceptible and so on and so on. A ko is a ko....its brain damage....not in a life threatening sense, but is still damaged, that is why if football players have more than i think 5 concussions, doctors push them to stop playing....your brain cant handle it....

given having a thick neck and shoulders....build...blah blah blah......helps absorb impact....nothing more....if you take the shot, it will still put you down, having big shoulders and a big neck does little to help you stay conscious if you get hit, it just absorbs impact a lil better

Post #12   7/1/11 4:10:11PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,928-1,103
Chips:
Your trainer is right in that many fighters get KOed a lot because they put themselves in spots where anyone is gonna get KOed. That's connected to ability to roll with punches, blocking, and balance. (also positioning and footwork)

Having the strength of Beck wouldn't have any advantage I don't think, and neither would having back strength except in how it would relate to the things listed above.

Determination. . . naaaah. Josh Haynes always had a ton of determination, and yet he got KTFO on the regular.

Post #13   7/1/11 8:58:03PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,631-1,351
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Determination. . . naaaah. Josh Haynes always had a ton of determination, and yet he got KTFO on the regular.

I agree with ncordless. The only thing that matters is 100% determination to not get KO'd.

Last edited 7/1/11 9:29PM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   7/1/11 9:29:04PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,442-795
Chips:
I think its all about ability to roll with punches and ability to see them coming. It has some to do with genetics but not all. The punches that KO most fighters are the ones they never saw coming.

Post #15   7/1/11 9:37:53PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2