Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Rashad vs Jardine???

Print  
Posted By Message

strikefirstgear

MMA Regular

strikefirstgear Avatar

Career:54-37
Camp: StrikeFirstGear
Chips:
This excerpt is from an LA Times article.

LA Times Article

"Perhaps the most interesting exchange took place after the show at the press conference. When a reporter asked about a prospective match with Evans vs. Keith Jardine, who made a name for himself by knocking out Forrest Griffin on Dec. 30 in Las Vegas, UFC President Dana White said that sounded like a great idea. Evans shot back that he trains regularly with Jardine in Albuquerque, and he would never fight him. White said that if he made the match, he'd fight him. Evans shot back that he would not, and the awkward exchange ended at that point."

Rashad said earlier in an article on UFC site here

UFC article

“I’ll never fight Keith again. I cannot fight him, I couldn‘t go through with that no matter the prize or money. We fight in practice every day and that’s the closest we will ever get to fighting again. We’re too close now, he’s my brother....

I asked a hypothetical question: what if the UFC matchmakers put the pair forward in a final eliminator, the winner gets a shot at the title?

“I’d have to pass,” Evans said. “If it came to that I’d go to heavyweight and try and win the title there. It would be great, just great, to be champion, but I won’t fight my brother.”

How do you think this will end up?

Last edited 1/26/07 4:09AM server time by strikefirstgear
Edit note/reason: make it more readable
2 total post edits

Post #1   1/26/07 4:04:59AM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
Wasn't this a similar deal way back when with Tito and Chuck saying they were too good of friends and wouldn't fight. All it took was the title and that changed in an instant. But I really couldn't see Jardine ever beating Evans. I'm not a huge fan of either but it's hard to deny Rashad's ability and everytime I see Jardine he looks super uneasy in the ring. His KO over Griffin is is probably going to gain him some notoriety, I was honestly shocked when I saw it, but I thought Forrest was unprepared for that fight and if they had a rematch with the fire lit under Forrest it wouldn't last long for Keith. I could see future title contention for Rashad but not really for Jardine.

Post #2   1/26/07 4:22:27AM   

--Hinch--

Probably a terrorist.

--Hinch-- Avatar

Career:73-56
Camp: Platinum Mafia
Chips:

Posted by crimethinc

Wasn't this a similar deal way back when with Tito and Chuck saying they were too good of friends and wouldn't fight. All it took was the title and that changed in an instant. But I really couldn't see Jardine ever beating Evans. I'm not a huge fan of either but it's hard to deny Rashad's ability and everytime I see Jardine he looks super uneasy in the ring. His KO over Griffin is is probably going to gain him some notoriety, I was honestly shocked when I saw it, but I thought Forrest was unprepared for that fight and if they had a rematch with the fire lit under Forrest it wouldn't last long for Keith. I could see future title contention for Rashad but not really for Jardine.

I can see Jardine just as much being a future threat in the division. Saying Forrest was under prepared takes away from Jardine, who was also the much better fighter against Bonner. Anyone with half a brain (i.e. not a NSAC judge) saw Jardine take that fight.

He's not got the raw athleticism and skills of Evans, but he too can be top five in the UFC LHW division after Chuck's leaving.

Post #3   1/26/07 5:10:13AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Chuck said their was never a deal to not fight, and was never quoted anywhere saying their was a deal. Tito made the claim later when the fight was proposed. No matter who's telling the truth in that I beleive Rashad in this. The fact that he contradicted Dana White twice at a press conference shows it's not something he would consider. I can't imagine fighting my brother in a real fight and trying to hurt him. How would they train? Split the entire Jackson camp?Hughes wouldn't fight Lawler or Franklin, same with Wandy -Shogun,and many others. In my opimion it's highly unlikely. Still, I hope his public contradiction of Dana doesn't come back to hurt him. I thinks it's safe to say Dana has a pretty big ego, and nobody likes being shot down in public, even if they are wrong.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #4   1/26/07 6:02:16AM