Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Hector Lombard vs. Jesse Taylor targeted for August AFC event in Australia

Print  
Posted By Message

40ouncetpkid

MMA Sensei

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
Link

Hector Lombard (29-2-1) is headed back to his second home.

Sources close to negotiations today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the Bellator middleweight champion has received permission to take a fight against "The Ultimate Fighter 7" veteran Jesse Taylor (19-6) late this summer.

The bout is targeted for an Australian Fighting Championship event expected for Aug. 27, likely in Melbourne, Australia. The promotion's broadcast plans are unknown at this time.

Lombard most recently was seen in the cage this past month at Bellator 44, where he knocked out Falaniko Vitale in a non-title bout. The two got off to a very slow start while circling each other for two rounds without much offense. Lombard, though, eventually landed a crushing right hand.

The Cuban native has defended his Bellator belt once with a decision victory over Alexander Shlemenko at Bellator 34. He also holds the middleweight title in the Australia-based Cage Fighting Championship and has defended it seven times during an unbeaten streak that's stretched nearly four years.

An emigrant to Australia from his native country, Lombard, a former Olympian in Judo, spends the bulk of his time in Coconut Creek, Fla., where he moved several years ago to train with American Top Team.

Taylor, meanwhile, enjoys a five-fight win streak that includes a win under the AFC banner. He most recently dispatched UFC and PRIDE vet Denis Kang at "Battlefield Fight League 8: Island Beatdown" this past month and defeated former UFC middleweight champ Murilo Bustamante 11 months before at "Impact FC 2: The Uprising 2."

Since his release from the UFC in 2008, Taylor has gone 13-3 while shuffling between welterweight, middleweight and even light heavyweight.

Post #1   6/24/11 8:19:44PM   

40ouncetpkid

MMA Sensei

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
Pretty crazy this is probably his biggest test since his PRIDE days, how is Bellator not jumping all over this to co-promote or something? I like this fight, definitely get to see what Hector's all about.

Post #2   6/24/11 8:22:00PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I don't think Jesse Taylor is a great test but I am impressed with Taylor starting to revive his career, I wish him the best as a fighter and a person.

Post #3   6/24/11 9:08:21PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
I'm just curious as to when Lombard is going to jump up to the big leagues and test himself. I think he's fought enough of the lower level fighters. Time to see how he can do against some top ranked competition.

Post #4   6/24/11 9:18:28PM   

hashyandy4

Super MW King S.O.G.

hashyandy4 Avatar

Career:614-326
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by gspfan

I'm just curious as to when Lombard is going to jump up to the big leagues and test himself. I think he's fought enough of the lower level fighters. Time to see how he can do against some top ranked competition.

Couldnt agree more

Post #5   6/24/11 9:54:10PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by gspfan

True dat.....time for Hector to step it up and challenge himself....enough of padding his record already.

Post #6   6/25/11 12:07:39AM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,041-1,091
Chips:
People shouldn't be so quick to write off Taylor. I deff think this will be one of Lombards tougher fights. While we know Kang isn't what he once was submitting him is still not an easy thing to do and Taylor did it in the first round his last fight. The way I see it is Hector should win, but don't count Jesse out. Judo <wrestling and Taylor has proven he can take a punch. (submissions are another story lol). I'm excited for this fight, Jesse can really give his career a shot in the arm and maybe a second chance with Zuffa

Post #7   6/25/11 10:08:51AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Chips:
Oh definately.....in fact Blue and I have been wondering what it would take to get Hector there for quite some time now. He's old enough to know that he really only has time for one good run at this sport before it's too late. The winner of this fight should have done enough in the B Leagues to rate a run in the UFC for sure.

Post #8   6/25/11 12:47:43PM