Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Bruce Lee matchups

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
another post of supras that i disagree on..

wanderlei silva and bruce lee are not in the same weight class man, not even close. ur talkin about a 50+ pound difference. and the hypothetical question would be if bruce lee trained TODAY, not only fighting with what he knew in the 70's. if you think kenny florian would win bruce lee, you're CRAZY

Post #16   5/7/07 4:37:47PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

another post of supras that i disagree on..

wanderlei silva and bruce lee are not in the same weight class man, not even close. ur talkin about a 50+ pound difference. and the hypothetical question would be if bruce lee trained TODAY, not only fighting with what he knew in the 70's. if you think kenny florian would win bruce lee, you're CRAZY

well i know that, but there arent too many guys in his weight class that i could compare to that are excellent strikers. im just saying if he were at those weights he wouldnt do well.....

and please quit nuthugging bruce lee everyone....he was fast and strong but he was never the best fighter. he was just the first super human fighter to be known by many. so there was a fan frenzy and everyone started telling superman stories of him. obviously he would kill me but in Lee vs Sherk id bet my life on sherk 1st round tko.....

Post #17   5/7/07 4:42:49PM   

Ultimate_fighter

Banned

Career:270-165
Chips:
I think he would kill everyone will his bare hands for sure!!!

Post #18   5/7/07 8:17:28PM   

shinobi

MMA Regular

shinobi Avatar

Career:125-57
Camp: Purebred Fight Team
Chips:
bruce lee could hold his hands that low because he was faster than just about anyone with his hands or on his feet. wanderlei would get hit with 5 punches by the time he got one hand behind bruce's head. plus, Bruce Lee is the father of mma. so he didnt get into a ring or used gloves, big deal.

Post #19   5/7/07 10:21:18PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Well I'm not one to really promote or doubt the 'real' skill of Bruce Lee as far as physical side of martial arts goes. The man was a martial arts genius when it came to the philosophy of martial arts. That coupled with his obsession with fitness would make him a top contender for sure.

As for unorthodox striking? come on. Hermes Franca and Chuck Lidell hav some of the most unorthodox striking in MMA and look how well they do.

Bruce's ground game? Even if his ground game was next to nothing (which it probably wasn't) I think it would only take him about 6 months to get enough to get him up to par. Look at all these guys in MMA that are in the UFC and they only trained in martial arts for like 2-3 years prior. Yes, they're not great fighters, but all in all, if you look at the best fighters in MMA right now, they are experts in one art and have supplemented it with other styles. I don't think there is one fighter today (champion) that started doing MMA from the start.

Problems? I see one major problem with Bruce fighting in MMA. He liked techniques like eye gauging and attacking the neck too much. I don't know if he would be able to cope with the rules. I really think that his movies were a testiment to how he thought fights should be fought (chest stops and such).

Now that I've rambled on, my answer is that I think Bruce Lee would be a top contender in MMA for sure and probably a champion in K1.

BTW, the guy he subbed with an armbar in Enter the Dragon was Sammo Hung (a guy that trained with Jackie Chan)

Last edited 5/8/07 9:44AM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #20   5/8/07 9:42:07AM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Rush
As for unorthodox striking? come on. Hermes Franca and Chuck Lidell hav some of the most unorthodox striking in MMA and look how well they do.

i do see your point. hermes will probly never be champ though. and liddell throws some unorthodox punches often but he isnt an unorthodox fighter. i do agree that he could be a top contender but id be really iffy about his wrestling. subs im positive he could master but a great wrestler with good sub defense could deal with him. we all know he would have a great record but champ material would be really hard to tell.

Last edited 5/8/07 3:30PM server time by MKIV9secsupra
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   5/8/07 3:12:31PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:
How do you define orthodox striking? I define it as classical boxing (stances and arms up, etc), of which Chuck does not use. IMO

Post #22   5/8/07 3:22:32PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Chips:
well pretty much the same...but chuck keeps his hands up........just not when he fights tito, haha... and he does have a stance somewhat. basically mirko, rampage, and shogun are all orthodox. unorthodox to me is someone like henderson, wanderlei, hermes, fedor, etc. They all use very wild combos. And henderson's and hermes' striking keeps them off balance.

this is unorthodox

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #23   5/8/07 3:40:39PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

this is unorthodox

That looks just like Chucks stance to me.

Chucks stance

Hermes has his right hand by his ass all the time, that can't be good for balance. lol

Post #24   5/8/07 4:47:31PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Chips:
he is circling around so he isnt in his right stance yet

Post #25   5/8/07 7:07:20PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

he is circling around so he isnt in his right stance yet

In a traditional boxing sense, Jackson has the crisper, more technically proficient standup.

He keeps his left hand high and fires snapping jabs. He sits down and gets excellent leverage on a right hand that he fires straight down the pipe, making sure the crushing strike travels the shortest possible distance before it reaches the target. He often follows up that strike with clean up left hooks thrown with good hip turn to maximize its power.

It is a very clean approach to boxing – one that appeals to the eye of traditional boxing fans.

Liddell, on the other hand, stands with his shoulders more square than most traditional boxers or kickboxers prefer. As a result, many of his punches travel a bit from the outside giving the perception that he loops his shots, something associated with weakly thrown arm punches because such shots don’t take full advantage of hip and shoulder turn.

Source

LOL

Post #26   5/14/07 10:08:08PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2