Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC Quick Quote: Anthony Pettis is overrated

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,404-862
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Streaking UFC lightweight Donald Cerrone (15-3) tells Pro MMA Radio he agrees with Gray Maynard's recent assessment of Anthony Pettis. "The Bully" balked at the idea of "Showtime" getting a UFC lightweight title fight after his five round win (and highlight reel kick) over Ben Henderson under the now-defunct WEC banner. Pettis coughed up his number one contender status when he came off the bench to answer the call of Clay Guida at the Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 13 Finale earlier this month after he was unable to saw his way through "The Carpenter's" wooden top control. Is Cerrone unjustly hating on his fellow WEC import?

Article

Follow link for quote

Post #1   6/21/11 5:08:14PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,381-784
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i believe he is overrated in the sense that some think he deserves a title shot but i do think he is an exciting fighter & an explosive striker & has huge potential to be a champion in the next few years, but i think it's too soon for him right now against the top-tier fighters i.e. maynard, edgar, penn

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #2   6/21/11 5:36:59PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,669-1,526
Chips:
He was overrated in the sense that a lot of people were putting him right up there with Edgar and Maynard and such. He's what, 24? People were pushing his career far too quickly and hopefully now he'll have the chance to grow, get octagon experience and then he'll be ready. He's still a great fighter now and will definitely fit in the ufc but he's not a top guy in there yet.

Post #3   6/21/11 6:03:28PM   

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Career:795-515
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:
Everyone is overrated till they can win in the UFC. (Cro Cop, Fedor, Pettis, ect.)

Post #4   6/21/11 6:23:43PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,291-1,224
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
He is young
Next couple fights will determine if he is overrated

Post #5   6/21/11 6:56:53PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Once his takedown defense catches up with his striking, he will be very hard to defeat....he's young, he'll be fine.

Post #6   6/21/11 7:06:23PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I would not have despised Pettis' talents so much if he had never threw and landed that kick. Once that kick was thrown and landed - and once the uproar began, I felt compelled to put him on my ignored list of fighters.

I felt it was my duty to root against him - and root against him I have and root against him I shall.

Last edited 6/21/11 7:15PM server time by KungFuMaster
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   6/21/11 7:14:44PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,336-780
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Pettis is still as good as he was before the cage kick. He does a lot of things very well, but I think these Roufus fighters need to change their philosophy or at least open their minds- too often they stick with their strengths even when they are losing the fight, and he was fortunate to steal that fight against Henderson.

Post #8   6/21/11 8:21:32PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,404-862
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I just love the irony in this statement by Cerrone. He is saying that Pettis, who beat Henderson, who had the title and beat Cerrone twice..... Is overrated....

For the record, I am a big fan of all three guys. I don't know WTF the Jenks thing is, I didn't see it. I watch MMA not reality TV. Pettis caught my attention when he fought Danny Castillo, and kicked Castillo's head off as payback for a low blow. He kept my attention with rounds 1-5 of his title fight with Henderson, even before the Showtime kick. That was a fantastic display of mixed martial arts. So many sub attempts, reversals, great striking, that fight had it all.

I don't think Pettis is overrated. He is young. Henderson is young. Cerrone is young. And I can see them all being contenders and putting on great shows in the UFC, just like they did in the WEC, for years to come.

Last edited 6/21/11 8:27PM server time by pmoney
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #9   6/21/11 8:25:51PM   

Michael_Corleone

Belt Contender

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:962-517
Chips:

Posted by tn_rebel

Everyone is overrated till they can win in the UFC. (Cro Cop, Fedor, Pettis, ect.)

THIS

Post #10   6/21/11 11:13:36PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Once his takedown defense catches up with his striking, he will be very hard to defeat....he's young, he'll be fine.

like Cro Cop?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #11   6/21/11 11:42:00PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,298-1,373
Chips:
wow..why all the hate?..seriously..Pettis was excitin from the beginnin..he's strikin was good..he was great off his back..always pushin the fight..and u could tell he was improvin in every fight..i seriously thought he beat Bart..but u know what..Cerrone is prolly tryin to get a fight wit Pettis..Pettis does have the bigger name than Cerrone, he think mayb if he take Pettis down, he moves rite up there in the UFC ladder..it would be an interestin match between Cerrone and Pettis..but i would take Pettis ud/tko..i would even av bet that..lol

Post #12   6/22/11 2:13:12AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

wow..why all the hate?..seriously..Pettis was excitin from the beginnin..he's strikin was good..he was great off his back..always pushin the fight..and u could tell he was improvin in every fight..i seriously thought he beat Bart..but u know what..Cerrone is prolly tryin to get a fight wit Pettis..Pettis does have the bigger name than Cerrone, he think mayb if he take Pettis down, he moves rite up there in the UFC ladder..it would be an interestin match between Cerrone and Pettis..but i would take Pettis ud/tko..i would even av bet that..lol

I think you are correct that Cerrone is trying to angle a fight with Pettis. Would be a good one and I too would take Pettis to win.

Post #13   6/22/11 9:02:53AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Chips:
Pot... meet kettle.

Post #14   6/22/11 9:49:58AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

Pettis is still as good as he was before the cage kick. He does a lot of things very well, but I think these Roufus fighters need to change their philosophy or at least open their minds- too often they stick with their strengths even when they are losing the fight, and he was fortunate to steal that fight against Henderson.

I agree the one kick stole the fight...Pettis will never be a contender for the fact hes just to far behind in wrestling and like Guida said wrestling wins championships..

he needs to leave Duke Roufus and find a wrestling camp...Or use the time he works on his fancy kicks should be spent on takedown defense...

Post #15   6/22/11 10:34:23AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2