Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Lawmakers Possibly Cutting Military Sponsorship of MMA Events

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,709-955
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
One of the biggest stories heading into last weekend's Strikeforce: Overeem vs.Werdum event was Zuffa implementing the "sponsorship tax" on companies wishing to sponsor a fighter. This led to some fans being very upset about money coming out of fighter pockets. Now it looks like there may be a move taking place at the political level which may see fighters impacted again.

Via The Hill:

Rep. Betty McCollum (D-Minn.) is readying her next move in a months-long effort to slash Pentagon spending for NASCAR and other sports sponsorships.

McCollum questions whether the U.S. military should be spending hundreds of millions of dollars on sponsorship deals for sports including stock car racing, professional fishing and pro wrestling at a time when the nation is running large deficits. Military officials and congressional supporters say the sponsorships help with recruitment.

The House recently "voted to eliminate funding for homeless veterans, slash community health centers serving low-income families and pass a fiscal year 2011 budget that would force 800,000 Americans to lose their jobs," McCollum said recently. "Yet taxpayer-funded sponsorship of NASCAR racing teams was protected. I find this absurd."

McCollum has failed twice to advance proposals that would have changed the way the military awards contracts and doles out funds for those events, as well as for ultimate-fighting sponsorships.

LINK

Post #1   6/21/11 2:43:00PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,276-1,203
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I can't say I disagree, really.

(and let's be careful not to turn *this* thread into a poo flinging contest, too.)

Post #2   6/21/11 2:44:56PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
yeah. It's no secret that things are a little tight pretty much everywhere right now. Seems pretty logical to me. I don't see how this effects the sport really at all either. I think it may have some limited effects on the military's recruiting initiatives, but they were doing just fine getting kids to sign up long before fighters, drivers, and fishermen were getting paid for competition.

Post #3   6/21/11 3:50:01PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
sponsorship tax lol, and they're not a monopoly lol

Last edited 6/21/11 4:54PM server time by beer
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   6/21/11 4:54:23PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,585-1,609
Camp: country KO
Chips:
I agree in principle with this, but a lot of times these sorts of cuts don't amount to much anyway, but ya it's pretty hard to justify.

Last edited 6/21/11 6:25PM server time by machodog76
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   6/21/11 4:57:07PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
i guess there wont be any more Fight for the Troops events in the forseeable future?

then again there was like a 3 year gap between the two so i guess it has no effect on that

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #6   6/21/11 5:43:27PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I mean, this is somewhat related to my Master's Thesis on the Bowl Championship Series.

The BCS as a 501(c)(3) enjoys a litany of state and federal subsidies. Additionally, all revenue from these games are considered tax-free, but then morons like John Junker (Fmr. CEO of the Fiesta Bowl) rack up $770,865 on the Fiesta Bowl AmEx in 2006 alone that is reimbursed by those subsidies. What did those funds cover? His private birthday party at Pebble Beach, strippers, etc..it's tax payers money going to solid waste.

Now, this is slightly different, but I agree with the principle of cutting off "wasteful" spending. I use that term VERY loosely and it is meant in the strictest sense of an administrator's duties to find areas in the budget that can be cut before anything else.

We can lose the National Guard NASCAR before we can afford to lose the National Guard.

Post #7   6/21/11 5:47:58PM   

TheBlackChip

MMA Regular

TheBlackChip Avatar

Career:775-367
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Out of all those sponsorship deals the connection between the military and MMA seems to make the most sense. I actually started donating on a monthly basis to The Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund after the last Fight for the Troops, so I can definitely buy the fact that the military does benefit from being involved with these sports. However, I can see the rationale behind cutting the spending, and it's definitely nothing against MMA specifically, just against wasteful spending, which I can totally understand. I don't know why everything has to be all-or-nothing though, whats wrong with trimming the budget or even slashing it by 50, 60 or even 70%? Lawmakers never seem to think in terms of actual negotiation, it always seems to be, "my way or the highway".

Post #8   6/21/11 5:52:36PM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
I'm still pissed about the UFC taking money out of a fighters pocket with the sponsorship tax, which is absurd.

Seriously, the UFC doesn't need that money.

The sponsorship tax they are getting off of companies is more than the salries of the fighters they are sponsoring. In essence the fighters are paying the UFC to compete.

Absurd.

Post #9   6/21/11 9:24:51PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,200-1,501
Chips:
I have to agree. Hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars should not be spent on military advertising. It is absolutely ridiculous! America spends way too much money on our military! As a matter of fact, military bands alone cost US taxpayers almost $500 million dollars every year. Bands!!!! You wonder why our economy is whacked? People complain about welfare but the amount of money spent on welfare in the last 40 years is what we spend on our military in less than 2 years.

Post #10   6/21/11 11:09:52PM