Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Debunking Rubber Guard Myths

Print  
Posted By Message

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,500-882
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
There are a lot of myths about rubber guard. I'm going to quote a post I made in another thread that begins to deal with the two most common. I suspect that you all will have more arguments or would like to respond to what I have written.

I'd love to debate rubber guard with anyone here. I'm pretty sure I can convince you that the system works or at least educate those that are unfamiliar with it.

Posted by jgtribbett

Rubber guard by anyone who isn't a phenominal ruber guard practitioner is worthless...

Furthermore I would say that a solid wrestling bacgorund coupled with a decent knowledge of JJ defesne would suffice in most areas of MMA

These are the only important parts of your post.

Response to #1) You kinda of answered that riddle all by yourself huh? Do you think boxing is effective when used by s***y boxers? Do you think you'll get a lot of takedowns using wrestling if you're bad at wrestling? Its sort of an obvious logical contradiction really. Rubber guard doesn't work if you don't do it right.... do we even need to say that? Obviously it doesn't work if you do it wrong. The whole point I'm making is that people in the MMA community HAVE NOT embraced it. It has nothing to do with the fact that it doesn't work. Its because the established jiu jitsu community (including Jeff Curran and the other black belts at my gym) have done everything in their power to discredit it. Rather than accept that a new system of jiu jitsu (developed by someone outside the hardcore community) is effective, they'd rather bad mouth it until no one believes in it and the system dies out. Check out this video Advance Rubber Guard Techniques

Are you telling me that man could not tap 90% of the LW's and FW's in the UFC from his back? If you are I suggest you roll with him. Or even someone who is decent at the rubber guard (like myself.) You have to feel it to believe it. When I first decided to learn it everyone at my gym said it was a worthless gimmick. And yet every day I tap people with it.

Response to #2) Rubber guard is specifically designed to solve that problem. You should not be able to take a guy down and survive his guard for 15mins to win a decision. The old Gracie system took a lot of time and patience, especially when dealing with another talented grappler. It's not that it only works on people who are clueless about jiu jitsu (like people like to say) its just to slow for an MMA fight. The gracies (helio, royce, ect.) are famous for fighting for hours and hours to get a submission. That doesn't work in a 15min fight.

Last edited 6/20/11 12:26AM server time by bjj1605
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   6/20/11 12:25:30AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,523-1,604
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Most people are afraid of change and those who create it. Rubber guard needs to be given time before it is judged, and needs to be displayed properly in an MMA fight by someone who understands its complexities against an established wrestler to get an accurate understanding of its effectiveness. I for one would like to see Werdum, Maia, or Silva try it against someone like Carwin, or Sonnen. That would give us a good idea of the value of the Rubber Guard system.

Post #2   6/20/11 1:54:17AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Most people are afraid of change and those who create it. Rubber guard needs to be given time before it is judged, and needs to be displayed properly in an MMA fight by someone who understands its complexities against an established wrestler to get an accurate understanding of its effectiveness. I for one would like to see Werdum, Maia, or Silva try it against someone like Carwin, or Sonnen. That would give us a good idea of the value of the Rubber Guard system.

Exactly. But its not fair to use people who aren't good at rubber guard as the measure.

Post #3   6/20/11 10:00:08AM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
I'm a huge 10th planet supporter!

Post #4   6/20/11 6:01:23PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
everybody has their style. bottom line is rubber guard isnt for everyone. im a blue belt in BJJ, i know that aint much but in the years i have been training i personally have had a little experience both with the rubber guard and against it. one of my training partners is very flexible so he fell in love with it instantly. i come from a wrestling base and have a hard time getting used to it as well as flexible enough to feel comfortable. there is no denying that the rubber guard has its place in the BJJ/mma world and there are some seriously sick BJJ guys out there that use rubber guard. to each is own

Post #5   6/20/11 6:55:47PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,456-896
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Yeah I agree, as a fan of BJJ, and of the Rubber Guard, it sucks that there aren't a lot of guys in the ufc, or in mma that really know how to utilize it properly. I only know the base concepts of it myself, which is probably why it has never worked well for me, but still, I would love to see it used more in MMA. I would say Jacare could be a good baseline, but that I recall of his bjj matches I've seen, and his mma fights I've seen, he hasn't really used it much, so I don't know how good at it he is. The only fighter I can think of that uses it well, based on his fights the way I remember them, is Aoki I believe. Now that I think about it, isn't Aoki actually a student of Eddie Bravo's?

Last edited 6/20/11 11:55PM server time by ufc_Fanatic
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   6/20/11 11:54:35PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:
Damn... there is a lot less rubber guard bashing on this forum than in the MMA community as a whole....

I have no one to argue with. You all already agree with me.

Post #7   6/21/11 12:40:10AM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
I'm pretty sure Aoki has trained with Eddie quite a bit. I'm not sure what their relationship/affiliation is at this point, but I know they spent time working together at some point. There is a picture of Eddie demonstrating the rubber guard on him in one of his books. G-Sots would probably be the other high profile student of Eddie's. He had a black belt before he ever trained with Eddie, but from what I know his rubber guard is nasty, and he's very good with the 10th Planet system.

There are so many 10th Planet haters I don't even waste my time trying to argue with most of them. Most people that bash on Eddie and his style have never trained it, and many have probably never gone up against it. Many in the BJJ community don't take him seriously because of his outlandish persona, and his controversial opinions. He's a super cool dude (only met him once) and he loves jiu jitsu. I trained at a Rickson affiliate for almost 2 years before switching to 10th Planet and I love it at 10th Planet Saint Paul. The system fits me perfectly, and my game has improved by leaps and bounds since switching. His style does require flexibility, but anyone can become flexible if they work at it. I think over time he will be taken much more seriously. His style and school are in their infancy compared with many of the other prominent schools. Only time will really tell the effect the rubber guard will have on jiu jitsu and MMA.

Post #8   6/23/11 6:21:37PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,462-848
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

I'm pretty sure Aoki has trained with Eddie quite a bit. I'm not sure what their relationship/affiliation is at this point, but I know they spent time working together at some point. There is a picture of Eddie demonstrating the rubber guard on him in one of his books. G-Sots would probably be the other high profile student of Eddie's. He had a black belt before he ever trained with Eddie, but from what I know his rubber guard is nasty, and he's very good with the 10th Planet system.

There are so many 10th Planet haters I don't even waste my time trying to argue with most of them. Most people that bash on Eddie and his style have never trained it, and many have probably never gone up against it. Many in the BJJ community don't take him seriously because of his outlandish persona, and his controversial opinions. He's a super cool dude (only met him once) and he loves jiu jitsu. I trained at a Rickson affiliate for almost 2 years before switching to 10th Planet and I love it at 10th Planet Saint Paul. The system fits me perfectly, and my game has improved by leaps and bounds since switching. His style does require flexibility, but anyone can become flexible if they work at it. I think over time he will be taken much more seriously. His style and school are in their infancy compared with many of the other prominent schools. Only time will really tell the effect the rubber guard will have on jiu jitsu and MMA.

Wow I must be living under a rock. I really thought the consensus was for 10 planet...........
Anyhow I always go crazy when I see someone trying to attempt it.

Post #9   7/10/11 2:33:17PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by RyanC

Wow I must be living under a rock. I really thought the consensus was for 10 planet...........
Anyhow I always go crazy when I see someone trying to attempt it.

I'd say the majority of the BJJ community dislikes Eddie, and dismisses his style. Almost anyone you talk to coming off the Gracie tree will dismiss him immediately. Personally I find it somewhat funny since his black belt comes from a Rickson black belt (JJ Machcado) so Eddie is party of the Gracie lineage. I think all the political BS is silly personally, but a lot of people take it very seriously.

Post #10   7/11/11 7:05:02PM   

stevemeade420

Learning to Sprawl

Career:407-304
Chips:
i love the rubber guard and eddie bravo in general. i think eddies system is awsome and just getting better and better as his technique's develop. im currently reading his books and there pretty good in my opinion.they are vary easy to understand and hes got great story's and opinions on marijuana and other cool stuff like his music career.

Post #11   8/1/11 2:33:39AM