Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

TUF 13's Chuck O'Neil Released by the UFC

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,983-1,102
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
More trimming has been done from the UFC roster. Shortly after the news that Kendall Grove has been released, another TUF alum has received his walking papers. Season 13's Chuck O'Neil announced it on his facebook page:

I was officially released by the UFC today. I will continue to work hard to improve myself as a person and a fighter everyday. I WILL make it back there because the UFC is where I belong. Thank you to everyone for your continued support and there will be a fight coming soon with a MUCH improved performance!

LINK

Post #1   6/18/11 1:16:00PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I think with better coaching and training, Chuck can be relevant in the ufc.

I do not know what happened in his last fight during the finale but he did not seem like himself. If he can get himself into a good camp, he can definitely make it back to the ufc.

I do not see championship potentials in Chuck but I do see a good fighter in the making.

Post #2   6/18/11 1:38:25PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,983-1,102
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

I think with better coaching and training, Chuck can be relevant in the ufc.

I do not know what happened in his last fight during the finale but he did not seem like himself. If he can get himself into a good camp, he can definitely make it back to the ufc.

I do not see championship potentials in Chuck but I do see a good fighter in the making.

He was outworked in the finale by a better fighter. haha. Can't say I agree with you. O'Neil seemed too average, and most of his professional wins have been in local promotions. He just doesn't seem to have it in him to be anything more then that. I don't see him ever being the level of other guys in the division. Imagine him against guys like Josh Koscheck, Carlos Condit, Diego Sanchez, Thiago Alves, etc. They'd kill em. I can't see even see him beating guys like Rich Anttonito, James Wilks, Matt Brown, and other guys of that caliber.

Post #3   6/18/11 1:54:14PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I thought that was implied when he lost to Cope. Like with the other TUF fighters, winner gets a job, loser doesnt.

Post #4   6/18/11 1:57:12PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,026-1,730
Chips:
He needs a lot of work. Hopefully we'll see him back one day but not any time soon.

Post #5   6/18/11 2:42:08PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
If the guy would learn to let his hands go he might be decent, but when his opponent musters any kind of offense he shuts down and stops throwing strikes entirely. Just kind of wiggles his arms around to feign and never actually throws.

Post #6   6/18/11 3:00:18PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,622-990
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I didn't know you could be released when you aren't signed.... I find that kind of odd. The guys in the main event are fighting for that prestigious six-figure contract, but every loser they beat was fighting on the same card.

How much value can you put in the title of TUF winner when they sign all of these TUF losers as well? I mean, in certain cases, that can be a good thing. It seems like almost the whole first three or four seasons of guys are still employed. There's been a couple champions in there, and some top contenders. But the crop from this past season, I don't see champion or contender potential.

Hoping the lighter dudes can put on a show next season!

Last edited 6/18/11 4:35PM server time by pmoney
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   6/18/11 4:23:25PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
First off, I think that the UFC knows that the fighters are personalities that the average fan ill want to see them fight, so they put them in events.

Secondly, I think that they keep the fighters who have potential and give those fighters opportunites to develope.. ie, sending them to different trainers and getting them really good camps etc.

Third of all, I think they only give high dollar 6 figure contracts to the winners. There are fighters umployed by UFC that only make 8 - 10 grand a fighter if not lower amounts.

The winner of the show is guaranteed a 6 figure contact... which I assume is 4 fights, meaning 25,000 a fight, but the ufc is able to pick up guys like Nijem for 10 grand a fight. If they gave him a 3 fight contract , that is only 30 grand. It make sense because he is known to the public, they don't have to give him 6 figures, and he is a decent fighter. If they make a few phone calls he's in the Jackson camp. That is talent development at its finest

Last edited 6/19/11 1:49AM server time by jgtribbett
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   6/19/11 1:47:17AM