Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Strikeforce Enacts Sponsor Tax Right Before 'Overeem vs. Werdum' Card

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,803-1,002
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
In 2009, the UFC enacted a sponsorship tax for companies to sponsor fighters. Now, that tax is coming to Strikeforce.

Now word has come out via The Underground and Fighters Only Magazine that the UFC is charging $35,000 to sponsor a Strikeforce fighter with the tax going into effect for this Saturday's "Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum" show at American Airlines Center in Dallas.

American Top Team's Alex Davis responded on The Underground:

The same policy that is used in the UFC is now in place at Strike Force. Sponsors must pay a fee in order to endorse athletes fighting in Strikeforce.

Strikeforce heavyweight Chad Griggs, who fights Valentijn Overeem on Saturday, spoke to us on Thursday's edition of Bloody Elbow Radio about this:

Q: Chad, there's a story that came out today talking about a new sponsorship tax coming in on Strikeforce fighters that kind of happened recently. Have you been effected by this at all?

CG: I have. Most definitely. I don't want to get in trouble with anybody so I won't say a whole lot other than it's, yeah, we're having a little issue with it right now and it's definitely costing, hopefully, we're trying to work it out, but yeah, it's snuck up on us pretty unexpectedly, and we're looking to lose a lot of money, potentially lose a lot of money in sponsorships. I hope that doesn't happen, but it's not looking good.

LINK

Post #1   6/17/11 2:31:29PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,310-1,223
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Though I don't necessarily agree with the timing, I don't have an issue with Zuffa doing this. Nothing's free...especially advertising.

Post #2   6/17/11 2:42:42PM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
^ Agreed, and hopefully althought doubtfully the extra money goes towards these fighters or at least some of it...

Post #3   6/17/11 3:07:12PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Though I don't necessarily agree with the timing, I don't have an issue with Zuffa doing this. Nothing's free...especially advertising.

Your right it just really sucks there are alot of "Mom and Pop" sponsers that get behind a fighter help them as much as they can one their road to the big time. Then as they are about to step in the door it gets smahed in their face and the fighter is gone. hopefully these fighters remember who was there for them along the way and support them as much as they can when the big time comes knocking.

Post #4   6/17/11 4:13:14PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,310-1,223
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by postman

Your right it just really sucks there are alot of "Mom and Pop" sponsers that get behind a fighter help them as much as they can one their road to the big time. Then as they are about to step in the door it gets smahed in their face and the fighter is gone. hopefully these fighters remember who was there for them along the way and support them as much as they can when the big time comes knocking.

Agreed. It's a harsh reality, though.

Post #5   6/17/11 4:19:16PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
The timing of this was really poor on Zuffa's part but hey its their company they can do what they want

Post #6   6/18/11 4:24:55AM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by emfleek

Agreed... if i owned the company that had contracts with people who were advertixing other businesses I'd do this too..

Post #7   6/19/11 2:07:19AM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
I disagree, I think its aweful.

Fighter don't get paid enough as it is.

The UFC is charging 35,000 dollars to sponsor a fighter...I'm sorry but that is more than what most fighters make in their salary.

Serious Zuffa has guys fighting on the strikeforece undercard that get paid 2500 to show 2500 to win. Thats 5 grand total. These guys make a living off their sponsorship money. If these guys have to pay 35 grand just to compete in the organization? That is 7 times their salary.

Essentially what this does is ensure the the UFC doesn't actually pay the fighters at all, but that the fighters pay themselves, and the UFC for the oppertunity to fight.

That is disgusting, simply disgusting!

I have to pay you in order to fight in your promotion? I pay you more than my salary. I actually pay my own salary, and then also give you thirty thousand dollars on top of that.

Disgusting!

Last edited 6/21/11 9:31PM server time by MMA-San
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   6/21/11 9:30:55PM