Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Nevada to Increase Out-of-Competition Drug Testing

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The state of Nevada will ramp up random, out-of-competition drug testing for combat sports athletes after Gov. Brian Sandoval on Wednesday signed a bill into law that will increase the amount of money available for screenings.

Senate Bill No. 498 amended the current Nevada state athletic commission regulations, which used promoter taxes from professional events to award grants to amateur organizations. Now, some of the money will be placed into a fund for drug testing fighters.

The language of the bill states that testing will be for "amateur and professional unarmed combatants at any time, including, without limitation, during any period of training."

LINK

Post #1   6/17/11 11:17:10AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
I like this. I think this will help cut down on some nonsense. They should set a standard for suspensions as well.

Post #2   6/17/11 1:15:34PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,521
Chips:
I'm a supporter of this. I do have one question though. Where is the line drawn for failure/punishment? Will this be treated a little differently than in-competition testing? An example scenario would be when fighters have surgery and are prescribed pain killers that are on the commissions list of unapproved drugs. Is it compliant to use them? I don't believe I've ever seen it clarified. It's obvious they want to prevent people from cycling PEDs. I just hope they've given thought to all possible scenarios.

Post #3   6/17/11 1:34:25PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

I'm a supporter of this. I do have one question though. Where is the line drawn for failure/punishment? Will this be treated a little differently than in-competition testing? An example scenario would be when fighters have surgery and are prescribed pain killers that are on the commissions list of unapproved drugs. Is it compliant to use them? I don't believe I've ever seen it clarified. It's obvious they want to prevent people from cycling PEDs. I just hope they've given thought to all possible scenarios.

I'd assume it's the same as the process they have now. For instance, Chael Sonnen had previously been cleared to use the drugs he was using when he got into his situation. Problem was that he had failed to get it cleared on each individual occasion. If he would have ran it through the commision, as he had previously, there would have probably never been an issue. So yea, i'm thinking as long as they get it cleared through the commission and they know the circumstances, there would be no problem.

Post #4   6/17/11 6:14:05PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

i would def say in no way is a fighter allowed pain killers if he has a fight coming up...i am curious if nay fighters have prescriptions for marijuana...i was just wondering that..

Post #5   6/17/11 6:36:46PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,521
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

i would def say in no way is a fighter allowed pain killers if he has a fight coming up...i am curious if nay fighters have prescriptions for marijuana...i was just wondering that..

Obviously if he has a fight coming up...but the question is if he doesn't, do the rules change?

Posted by Posted by

I'd assume it's the same as the process they have now. For instance, Chael Sonnen had previously been cleared to use the drugs he was using when he got into his situation. Problem was that he had failed to get it cleared on each individual occasion. If he would have ran it through the commision, as he had previously, there would have probably never been an issue. So yea, i'm thinking as long as they get it cleared through the commission and they know the circumstances, there would be no problem.

But those are special circumstances that have always been in place prior to this sort of testing. Even with pain killers, fighters are to go to the commission to see what there options are. Usually they come up with an alternative that not on the list. This is all precautionary, because they have to use the drugs coming into a fight and want to be sure it's not in their system come test time. I guarantee in the past, fighters have treated the situation differently if they didn't plan on fighting for 8 months...for example. So, this sort of changes things. My question is, do the same rules apply? And if they do, I hope all fighters are aware that they have to clear all of their prescriptions with the AC...and I'm sure that will be quite a pain in the ass in some circumstances. Not to mention, aside from recreational drugs, the reason for testing for drugs is to prevent performance enhancement. That's not really an issue in this case. So, if there's no performance to enhance, should the same rules apply?

And, what about medical marijuana? Do they care if you're using when you're not prepping to fight? California took the Federal approach to things and said that it doesn't matter whether you have a card or not...they declared use to be illegal. In fact, they slapped Nick Diaz just for merely declaring the fact that he has a card. I'm curious what Nevada's stance is on that one, considering it's legal there...but it's legal in California too and we saw what happened.

Last edited 6/17/11 7:55PM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   6/17/11 7:55:10PM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
hahaha I love it. Even if Barnett wins tomorrow you know he ain't lasting much longer

Post #7   6/17/11 10:07:27PM   

MriIlluminati

Learning to Sprawl

MriIlluminati Avatar

Career:49-30
Chips:
Sooo how will they test athletes who live internationally?

Post #8   6/18/11 12:39:37AM