Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC's Fabio Maldonado: 'Americans Will Take MMA Over'

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

3 letters... G - S - P

Not to nit pick but technicly GSP is a.................... "North American"

Post #31   6/16/11 6:35:20PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by BustedKnuckle

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

3 letters... G - S - P

Not to nit pick but technicly GSP is a.................... "North American"

Making him an American but on the same note Brazil is in south America and you could call them American as well. So for all we know he could simply be speaking of "Westerners" Saying we will no longer see great fighters from Japan

Last edited 6/16/11 7:46PM server time by postman
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #32   6/16/11 7:45:45PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
That's no surprise...American's have been dominating MMA for years now.

A lot of it has to do with wrestling, but also the sheer amount of superior training facilities.

One thing that always seems apparent is the lack of good corner-men. Why is it all the corner-men from Brazil seem to have no strategic advice? It's always something like "don't get hit so much".

Post #33   6/16/11 9:49:06PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,533-897
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by artofdefense

Did you just challenge me to a Gong Sau?

Where is your Gym? It just so happens I have some time off coming up.

I swear, you try that rubber guard crap on me and your foot is going to end up inside your mouth.

(This is just some friendly trash talk, don't take it personal or nuthin')

Team Curran Martial Arts in Crystal Lake Illinois.

Usually, my foot ends up in front of your neck for an omoplata or a gogoplata. I've made many a good man regret the day he doubted rubber guard.

Post #34   6/16/11 11:30:45PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by artofdefense
Rubber Guard is a gimmick, and ineffective against any grappler worth their salt.
Eddie Bravo is a marketing genius.

Gimmick? Hardly. I would love to try to prove you wrong.

Post #35   6/17/11 7:53:32PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by artofdefense

Did you just challenge me to a Gong Sau?

Where is your Gym? It just so happens I have some time off coming up.

I swear, you try that rubber guard crap on me and your foot is going to end up inside your mouth.

(This is just some friendly trash talk, don't take it personal or nuthin')

Team Curran Martial Arts in Crystal Lake Illinois.

Usually, my foot ends up in front of your neck for an omoplata or a gogoplata. I've made many a good man regret the day he doubted rubber guard.

I just hit my first gogo from rubber guard a couple weeks ago.

Post #36   6/17/11 7:55:38PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Jekyll

for the most part they do... Well North Americans, got to count GSP....

I think most of it has to do with many american fighters having a wrestling base, and wrestling has shown to neutralize a good chunk of BJJ. Wrestlers, or atleast guys with a wrestling base will be whats dominate in the future, but that being said as soon and the BJJ guys figure out ways to stop the wrestlers it will swing back the other way again.

Look at how it used to be, back when MMA was not called MMA (the early days of Pancrase in Japan) one of the guys touted as the most dangerous guy to fight was Bas Rutten a kickboxer. Things change, right now the wrestlers are winning but someone will come up with a way to make wrestling almost useless and it will shift to something else.

Its called rubber guard. Its just that no one is using it yet.

Rubber guard by anyone who isn't a phenominal ruber guard practitioner is worthless... at any level. Most people don't control the hip or body of the oponent well enough in that position. Honestly.. if you keep your chin on your oponents belly and push the leg down on the side that isn't doing ruber guard.. you are a out of it. people shoudl use it in my opinion, with proper technique of course... and most poeple dont.

Furthermore I would say that a solid wrestling bacgorund coupled with a decent knowledge of JJ defesne would suffice in most areas of MMA for a good ground game. I am a BJJ Blue Belt and love it... but it's true.

Last edited 6/19/11 2:03AM server time by jgtribbett
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #37   6/19/11 1:58:35AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,533-897
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by jgtribbett

Rubber guard by anyone who isn't a phenominal ruber guard practitioner is worthless...

Furthermore I would say that a solid wrestling bacgorund coupled with a decent knowledge of JJ defesne would suffice in most areas of MMA

These are the only important parts of your post.

Response to #1) You kinda of answered that riddle all by yourself huh? Do you think boxing is effective when used by s***y boxers? Do you think you'll get a lot of takedowns using wrestling if you're bad at wrestling? Its sort of an obvious logical contradiction really. Rubber guard doesn't work if you don't do it right.... do we even need to say that? Obviously it doesn't work if you do it wrong.

The whole point I'm making is that people in the MMA community HAVE NOT embraced it. It has nothing to do with the fact that it doesn't work. Its because the established jiu jitsu community (including Jeff Curran and the other black belts at my gym) have done everything in their power to discredit it. Rather than accept that a new system of jiu jitsu (developed by someone outside the hardcore community) is effective, they'd rather bad mouth it until no one believes in it and the system dies out. Check out this video Advance Rubber Guard Techniques

Are you telling me that man could not tap 90% of the LW's and FW's in the UFC from his back? If you are I suggest you roll with him. Or even someone who is decent at the rubber guard (like myself.) You have to feel it to believe it. When I first decided to learn it everyone at my gym said it was a worthless gimmick. And yet every day I tap people with it.

Response to #2) Rubber guard is specifically designed to solve that problem. You should not be able to take a guy down and survive his guard for 15mins to win a decision. The old Gracie system took a lot of time and patience, especially when dealing with another talented grappler. It's not that it only works on people who are clueless about jiu jitsu (like people like to say) its just to slow for an MMA fight. The gracies (helio, royce, ect.) are famous for fighting for hours and hours to get a submission. That doesn't work in a 15min fight.

Post #38   6/20/11 12:21:42AM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3