Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC's Fabio Maldonado: 'Americans Will Take MMA Over'

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Jekyll

for the most part they do... Well North Americans, got to count GSP....

I think most of it has to do with many american fighters having a wrestling base, and wrestling has shown to neutralize a good chunk of BJJ. Wrestlers, or atleast guys with a wrestling base will be whats dominate in the future, but that being said as soon and the BJJ guys figure out ways to stop the wrestlers it will swing back the other way again.

Look at how it used to be, back when MMA was not called MMA (the early days of Pancrase in Japan) one of the guys touted as the most dangerous guy to fight was Bas Rutten a kickboxer. Things change, right now the wrestlers are winning but someone will come up with a way to make wrestling almost useless and it will shift to something else.

Its called rubber guard. Its just that no one is using it yet.

It bothers me that a lot of guys don't use the rubber guard.

Post #16   6/15/11 12:50:15PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:
Also knees/kicks to the head on the ground would open up a lot more opportunities for wrestlers. In Pride knees to the head from side control were very affective. I really wish we would add those to North American MMA.

Post #17   6/15/11 12:54:13PM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Career:8-13
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Also knees/kicks to the head on the ground would open up a lot more opportunities for wrestlers. In Pride knees to the head from side control were very affective. I really wish we would add those to North American MMA.

i agree knees to the body are cool, but kneed to the head of a downed opponent not so much for the simple fact that if you are in north south position a knee to the crown of the head can kill.

Post #18   6/15/11 1:22:49PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jekyll

Posted by Budgellism

i agree knees to the body are cool, but kneed to the head of a downed opponent not so much for the simple fact that if you are in north south position a knee to the crown of the head can kill.

I said side control. North/South knees to the head were illegal in Pride once it got more developed. A lot of guys put a hand on the ground if they're about to get kneed and that causes a pause in the action or an illegal strike. I don't like that rule at all. Downwards north/south knees should absolutely be illegal but every where else I don't see a problem using them. Gives a guy more tools.

Post #19   6/15/11 1:30:16PM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Jekyll

Posted by Budgellism

I said side control. North/South knees to the head were illegal in Pride once it got more developed. A lot of guys put a hand on the ground if they're about to get kneed and that causes a pause in the action or an illegal strike. I don't like that rule at all. Downwards north/south knees should absolutely be illegal but every where else I don't see a problem using them. Gives a guy more tools.

there is really no need for them TBH it would just cause more injurys... last thing we need is every other fighter gettign a concusion from a knee and being out for a year after every fight.

the rules are for the most part goof on strikes, except for the elbow rule that one is kinda dumb.

Post #20   6/15/11 1:34:41PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by Jekyll

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Jekyll

Posted by Budgellism

there is really no need for them TBH it would just cause more injurys... last thing we need is every other fighter gettign a concusion from a knee and being out for a year after every fight.

the rules are for the most part goof on strikes, except for the elbow rule that one is kinda dumb.

Name one time someone from Pride was out for an extended period of time due to kness on the ground. Knees to the head on the ground would also nutarlize wrestlers abilty to simply shoot in for takedowns so it is a benifit to everyone.

Post #21   6/15/11 1:41:51PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jekyll

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Jekyll

Posted by Budgellism

How are they different from knees in the clinch though? You're still getting hit in the face with a knee, if anything knees from side control are less effective than ones from the muay thai clinch because you're not pulling the head into it. In my opinion it just adds another weapon that shouldn't be illegal in the first place.

Post #22   6/15/11 1:43:19PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by Jekyll

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Jekyll

Posted by Budgellism

Name one time someone from Pride was out for an extended period of time due to kness on the ground. Knees to the head on the ground would also nutarlize wrestlers abilty to simply shoot in for takedowns so it is a benifit to everyone.

Beat me to it.

Post #23   6/15/11 1:45:53PM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Jekyll

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Jekyll

Posted by Budgellism

How are they different from knees in the clinch though? You're still getting hit in the face with a knee, if anything knees from side control are less effective than ones from the muay thai clinch because you're not pulling the head into it. In my opinion it just adds another weapon that shouldn't be illegal in the first place.

because you had has a place to go, if you are against the cage you head cannot move.

Post #24   6/15/11 1:46:05PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,662-1,458
Chips:

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

3 letters... G - S - P

My thoughts exactly

Post #25   6/15/11 1:48:12PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jekyll

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Jekyll

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Jekyll

Posted by Budgellism

because you had has a place to go, if you are against the cage you head cannot move.

Same can be said for punches with your head on the cage. The cage does have some flex to it as well. So what they go to sleep the ref does his job and stops the fight end of story.

Post #26   6/15/11 2:10:53PM   

artofdefense

MMA Regular

Career:129-105
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Jekyll

I think most of it has to do with many american fighters having a wrestling base, and wrestling has shown to neutralize a good chunk of BJJ. Wrestlers, or atleast guys with a wrestling base will be whats dominate in the future, but that being said as soon and the BJJ guys figure out ways to stop the wrestlers it will swing back the other way again.

Look at how it used to be, back when MMA was not called MMA (the early days of Pancrase in Japan) one of the guys touted as the most dangerous guy to fight was Bas Rutten a kickboxer. Things change, right now the wrestlers are winning but someone will come up with a way to make wrestling almost useless and it will shift to something else.

Rubber Guard is a gimmick, and ineffective against any grappler worth their salt.
Eddie Bravo is a marketing genius.

Post #27   6/15/11 5:45:28PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
In regards to the knees to a downed opponent rule... I think they should change it to make stomps and knees illegal when a fighter is "on his back". That way you can use them to stop takedowns or while someone is kneeling/standing up, but not in the most dangerous positions (lying flat on your back.)

In response to the guy who called rubber guard a gimmick.... come to my gym and let me slap it on you. If you're not a grappler "worth your salt" bring one of your buddies who is.

Post #28   6/15/11 11:41:11PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by artofdefense

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Jekyll

Rubber Guard is a gimmick, and ineffective against any grappler worth their salt.

I don't know about that. I think it takes alot of time to get it right and very few people actually know how to properly use it.

Post #29   6/16/11 9:25:05AM   

artofdefense

MMA Regular

Career:129-105
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by artofdefense

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Jekyll

Did you just challenge me to a Gong Sau?

Where is your Gym? It just so happens I have some time off coming up.

I swear, you try that rubber guard crap on me and your foot is going to end up inside your mouth.

(This is just some friendly trash talk, don't take it personal or nuthin')

Post #30   6/16/11 9:56:34AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3