Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Brendan Schaub Believes a Win Over Nogueira Will Make Him Number One Contender

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,681-939
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC heavyweight Brendan Schaub spent a while campaigning for a fight with former Pride and UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 134, and Nogueira accepted. While a win over Big Nog would certainly be huge for his career, Schaub might be a little bit off with what he thinks he'll get out of a win - namely, the number one contender's spot at heavyweight. In a video interview with MMA30.tv, he discusses the fight:

It's the toughest test of my career. Nogueira's as tough as they come, I think he's the toughest heavyweight in the division. A win over him puts me right in the number one contender's spot and I'm looking forward to the challenge.

LINK

Post #1   6/14/11 12:03:16AM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,681-939
Chips:
Schaub is a joke. I can't take him seriously. Hope Big Nog rips one of his limbs off.

Post #2   6/14/11 12:04:55AM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Career:8-13
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Schaub is a joke. I can't take him seriously. Hope Big Nog rips one of his limbs off.

ok Big Nog as great as he was in Pride has not been a force in the UFC... how does beating someone that is not near the title get you a title shot?

Post #3   6/14/11 12:27:09AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,730-1,561
Chips:

Posted by Jekyll

Posted by FastKnockout

ok Big Nog as great as he was in Pride has not been a force in the UFC... how does beating someone that is not near the title get you a title shot?

It shouldn't

Post #4   6/14/11 12:29:05AM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,456-896
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
To quote the one and only Mr. Mackey "Schaub, don't do drugs, drugs are bad mmmkay." Seriously, while wins over legends will look good on his record now, and even better in twenty or thirty years when most of our children are watching the sport and aren't aware of what point in their careers these legends were in when he beat them, it still doesn't mean much s**t. Maybe if he were machida or someone like that, wins over fighters who are way passed their primes might earn him a title shot based off his body of work, but seeing as how his body of work is slightly better to what we flush down the toilet, then he still has to string together another two or three wins against guys who mean something right now. If he really wants to be a title contender his next fight assuming he beats big nog, has to be against either Frank Mir or Shane Carwin imo.

Post #5   6/14/11 1:07:26AM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

To quote the one and only Mr. Mackey "Schaub, don't do drugs, drugs are bad mmmkay." Seriously, while wins over legends will look good on his record now, and even better in twenty or thirty years when most of our children are watching the sport and aren't aware of what point in their careers these legends were in when he beat them, it still doesn't mean much s**t. Maybe if he were machida or someone like that, wins over fighters who are way passed their primes might earn him a title shot based off his body of work, but seeing as how his body of work is slightly better to what we flush down the toilet, then he still has to string together another two or three wins against guys who mean something right now. If he really wants to be a title contender his next fight assuming he beats big nog, has to be against either Frank Mir or Shane Carwin imo.

i agree and he as as much chance at beating one of them as Bsping has being an american hero

Post #6   6/14/11 1:17:09AM   

godofdixie

MMA Regular

godofdixie Avatar

Career:1,165-628
Camp: THE NATION OF DOMINATION
Chips:
brendan schaub a number one contender b/c he beats a washed up big nog? lmao, get in line hybrid. you should at least have to avenge your loss to big country in order to "be in the mix" as dana likes to put it, brendan will make a fine gatekeeper, but he's just not championship material imo

Post #7   6/14/11 2:44:03AM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
lol!

So were just going to pretend that Frank Mir and Shane Carwin don't exist and forget the Roy Nelson brutal KO never happened? LMAO

No...just no Brendan. Crack Cocaine is a helluva drug! You need to beat Mir, Carwin, or Nelson before your even considered...

I really hope Big Nog got one last good show in his system.

Post #8   6/14/11 3:22:55AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
man, I just tooled Cain in undisputed last night, IM the #1 contender.

Post #9   6/14/11 6:00:20AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
At the moment Nog is not a number 1 contender, and i dont get fights where one winner will become # 1 cont, if they win, and the other will need 2 more fights.
these fights are better i think

Mir vs Schaubb
CC vs Nog
Carwin vs Big Country

Post #10   6/14/11 9:48:37AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Brendan's been listening to those Trevor Wittman Motivational CDs a bit too much.

Post #11   6/14/11 9:54:12AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
I think he is higher up than people give him credit for. He has won 4 in a row, yeah against some bums, but still 4 in a row is 4 in a row. However I would absolutley say if (IF) he beats big nog he should not get a title shot, he is still 2 or 3 away. He needs to beat a Carwin or Mir to get there.

Post #12   6/14/11 10:16:17AM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I think he is higher up than people give him credit for. He has won 4 in a row, yeah against some bums, but still 4 in a row is 4 in a row. However I would absolutley say if (IF) he beats big nog he should not get a title shot, he is still 2 or 3 away. He needs to beat a Carwin or Mir to get there.

but does beating crap magically make you something other then that?

If you want to fight for the belt you have to beat good fighters, not fighters that were never anyone or are past their prime.

Last edited 6/14/11 10:37AM server time by Jekyll
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   6/14/11 10:27:52AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Sure, give Schaub a title shot so he gets absolutely tooled by Cain or JDS. Kid's made progress since TUF but I'm still not impressed. Maybe a severe beating will show him just how far behind he still is.

Post #14   6/14/11 10:37:03AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:

Posted by Jekyll

Posted by Theoutlaw08

but does beating crap magically make you something other then that?

If you want to fight for the belt you have to beat good fighters, not fighters that were never anyone or are past their prime.

I agree. Thats why i said he needs to fight some tougher competition.

Post #15   6/14/11 10:46:11AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2