Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 131's Mark Munoz: "I proved I am in that top echelon" at middleweight

Print  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,597-974
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva goes for his 10th consecutive title defense when he meets Yushin Okami at UFC 134 in August.

After that? Well, your guess is as good as anyone else's.

But following an impressive victory over Demian Maia (14-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC) at Saturday's UFC 131 event, Mark Munoz (11-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) believes he proved he should be in the title discussion.

Article

Post #1   6/12/11 10:11:06AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Munoz has the background and tools to do a number on Anderson Silva but he needs to utilize his wrestling to the fullest. He needs to put Anderson on his back and stay in the guard and deliver some ground and pound.

Yes, Anderson can submit Munoz from the bottom but that is what training is for and if Munoz can learn to effectively defend submissions, he will be a threat to Anderson.

Against Maia, Munoz showed he was afraid to go to the ground with Maia which only means Munoz is not confident with his submission defense. If Munoz is to withstand a legitimate chance against Silva, he needs to study up and be willing to take Silva down and be willing to stay in the guard.

Post #2   6/12/11 1:03:03PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
The current competition in the MW Division, Mark stating those particular comments isn't really saying much.

Last edited 6/12/11 2:21PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   6/12/11 2:20:18PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Munoz essentially won that fight by not fighting. I think that Maia won most of the grappling and striking exchanges. Munoz just scored points by moving forward and controlling position. I wouldn't say it was a bad decision, maybe just a bad outcome. I'm not convinced that the better guy won.

Still, I've been saying for a very long time that Munoz would be stylistically very tough for Anderson. His ground and pound is probably the best in MMA. He showed he can avoid submissions against Maia, who has better jits than Anderson. If he could get Silva down, he could win via GNP.

Post #4   6/12/11 6:14:33PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Munoz has the background and tools to do a number on Anderson Silva but he needs to utilize his wrestling to the fullest. He needs to put Anderson on his back and stay in the guard and deliver some ground and pound.

Yes, Anderson can submit Munoz from the bottom but that is what training is for and if Munoz can learn to effectively defend submissions, he will be a threat to Anderson.

Against Maia, Munoz showed he was afraid to go to the ground with Maia which only means Munoz is not confident with his submission defense. If Munoz is to withstand a legitimate chance against Silva, he needs to study up and be willing to take Silva down and be willing to stay in the guard.

you cant seriously be comparing Silva's guard to Maia's? Silva has no BJJ credentials outside his black belt and his guard is overrated. Maia's BJJ is world class. imo Munoz has more viscous gnp than Sonnen and look what Sonnen did to Anderson.

only problem, doesnt Munoz train at black house?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #5   6/12/11 7:17:43PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,631-1,351
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

you cant seriously be comparing Silva's guard to Maia's? Silva has no BJJ credentials outside his black belt and his guard is overrated. Maia's BJJ is world class. imo Munoz has more viscous gnp than Sonnen and look what Sonnen did to Anderson.

only problem, doesnt Munoz train at black house?

Yeah but Munoz trains at Blackhouse Los Angeles and Maia trained at Blackhouse San Diego for this fight and they still fought.

Anderson probably rotates between their Brazil location(s?), 3 US locations + affiliate locations as he sees fit, plus always seems to spend time at AMC Pankration as well. It's possible he may not even ever train at the Black House LA where Munoz trains.

Last edited 6/12/11 7:33PM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #6   6/12/11 7:29:50PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,937-1,077
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Munoz wouldn't touch Silva, honestly. Maia was lighting his up for a while, just think of what Silva would do.

I'd like to see him against Vitor Belfort, Michael Bisping, Wanderlei Silva, Brian Stann, etc before I even think about him fighting Silva.

Post #7   6/12/11 7:40:40PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Chips:
I'd just like to add that (by the numbers) according to Fightmetric this fight was a draw. I think it easily could have gone to Maia and its definitely not a win worth boasting about like Munoz is doing here.

Post #8   6/12/11 10:04:13PM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Career:8-13
Chips:
That fight should of been a draw at best.. Munoz did not do anything to really win the fight... For the ight 2 rounds he was trying to not lose more then trying to win...

As much as draws suck some fights should be draws.

Post #9   6/13/11 3:36:34AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Chips:
Maia tagged him hard, Anderson would stop him in the first. Like Hammill did, but prettier.

Post #10   6/13/11 6:49:36AM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Career:8-13
Chips:
Munoz is a gatekeeper, its sad to say but that is his level. he was gifted the win from Maia hes got no room to talk.

Post #11   6/13/11 6:52:42AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I am not comparing the level of JJ between Anderson and Maia. What I am saying is Munoz does have the tools to take Anderson to the mat and deliver ground and pound - but he needs to do this with confidence while knowing he can defend submissions within the guard.

And I am not saying Munoz is ready for a title shot anytime soon, but when it happens, I think he will have a legitimate chance to prevail over Silva if he strictly focuses on the wrestling aspect for this fight.

It is obvious Munoz will be heavily disadvantaged on the feet against Silva but that can be nullified by keeping a safe distance and shooting in for the take down when the opportunity presents itself.

Anderson Silva is not superhuman and Sonnen has proven that much of it.

Post #12   6/13/11 12:55:57PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Chips:
Munoz vs stann for next title shot
I like that!!

Post #13   6/13/11 4:03:08PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,090-1,176
Chips:
I'm a huge fan of munoz' ... he'll need at least another fight before getting a title shot though imo. He had alot of trouble with Maia's striking in the first 4 mins of the 1st round and well let's be honnest that Silva's striking would be light years away from Maia's. Munoz is gonna need to stick to his bread and butter that is wrestling and then think about opening up on the feet.

I do see him as a possible future champ though, never know!

Post #14   6/13/11 4:21:28PM