Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Tyron Woodley vs Paul Daley for the Vacant SF WW title?

Print  
Posted By Message

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
I think this absolutely positively needs to happen if Zuffa has any brain at all. Woodley is 30 now and is not getting any younger. I think it's now or never, and it's a good style match up for him. I'm sure they don't want a Paul Daley headache so maybe after Woodley beats him they have an excuse to not sign him? And it's the best way to bring Woodley into the UFC I believe, maybe set him up with a fight with a Jon Howard, Kampman, or Condit when he comes in.

Post #1   6/10/11 1:01:13AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I'm just waiting for SF to fold into UFC.

Although I do think that might be the match up they put together if they do anything, even with Daley coming off a loss fighting for the title.

Post #2   6/10/11 2:12:32AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Post #3   6/10/11 2:27:24AM   

modog

Learning to Sprawl

Career:403-254
Chips:
Considering Strikeforce's limited talent pool, this matchup makes sense. I don't know if Woodly's wrestling will be enough to overcome Daley's sprawl and standup, though.

Post #4   6/10/11 9:29:53AM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,448-894
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
I also agree that this is the fight that needs to happen. The unfortunate truth however, is that with the SF WW talent pool, once this fight happens, you've got to ask yourself, where do they go from here? Who can they throw at the new champion that would be an intriguing match up? There is only one match up that I would get super excited about if Daley won, and that would be if they pitted Daley against Cyborg because that fight has fireworks written all over it then. Actually, regardless of the winner, I would say cyborg would be the only intriguing match up for either of them. Maybe scott smith, but once that done, what is there?

I think the UFC should send people from their WW roster that aren't going anywhere in the division any time soon over to strikeforce to add depth to the shallow talent pool and also mold some potential future superstars in the division there by allowing them to progress more naturally fighting competition that is more fitting for where they are at the moment as opposed to the UFC doing what they often do and saying, "Hey you, how would you like to be severely over matched against one of our divisions elites simply so we can help make him look real good for a potential title shot?". That's what makes sense to me. Plus it will allow SF to put together a lot more intriguing match ups.

Post #5   6/10/11 8:57:43PM