Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Need advice on building power..

Print  
Posted By Message

HonestlyIDontCareLol

Learning to Sprawl

Career:6-5
Chips:
I'm 15 years old, I've been doing MMA for about 6 months now. I was in boxing for about 2 years before I quit and switched to MMA. I've been doing very well, a lot better than I thought. I competed in a few submission grappling tournaments and actually did very well. However, I'm 5'6" and fairly big for my age and height. When I punch, I can hit pretty damn hard and pretty quick. However, I don't feel as if I have knockout power. Some people I spar with tell me I have heavy hands, but I've hit plenty of people with some really nice, hard shots. And they normally just back up for a second or shake it off. I want that Fedor Emelianenko punching power. And I know I won't be able to get THAT much power at age 15, but still I'd like to know what all I can do to enhance my punching power. Anyone who knows of any ways to do this, please comment and let me know.

Post #1   6/9/11 1:57:16PM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Chips:
I personally do explosive press exercises and it seems to work for me. (I'm 19, 6', 175lbs)
Explosive meaning lowering the weight down slowly then exploding up with it.
this method can be used with bench press, dumbbell press, push ups. Also you can practice your technique in the mirror to make sure you are turning your hips properly which can greatly improve your power with no added weight lifting needed.

Post #2   6/9/11 7:48:17PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:535-379
Chips:
a great way to build power is olympic style lifting like squats, cleans, snatches, etc. this builds core strenghth, which we all know is where your power comes from. it sounds like youve got a good boxing back ground, just make sure your sitting down on your punches and not throwing just arm punches, not trying to insult your intelligence but i have seen alot of people that think they have good experience with their punches but they are lacking power still. and remember with speed comes power. if you got heavy hands already but your punches are more pushing than snapping then youll have a hard time hurting guys.

Post #3   6/9/11 11:32:31PM   

HonestlyIDontCareLol

Learning to Sprawl

Career:6-5
Chips:
Thank you all very much. I've been doing a lot of the exercises you told me about. It's improving my punching power, and just my overall standup and striking abilities big time. I appreciate the advice.

Post #4   6/16/11 8:37:12PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Im 5'8 150 69" for reference.

Im going under the assumption that you don't have long arms for your height. 5'6"(65"-67" reach).

Fedor's mechanics: rolls forward on his feet before he punches(balance), deriving his power through the explosion forward(calves), torquing his body(hips,ass) and finally ripping through at the end of his punch(Back).
The "Crash" on his punches come from his back muscles, and the #1 exercise for your back is Pull-ups.
The "Crush" on his punches come from his legs and the burst, doing anything to make your calves bigger will help here. Also the movement in question(the "roll" forward) should be drilled extensively.

To pick up this style, watch videos on youtube of him training or shadowboxing. Emulate the movements and be attentive to the small details of motion. Then practice. You're going to need to dedicate dozens of hours before you feel effective.

Post #5   6/17/11 8:18:40AM   

BradleyCooper

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
I learned it in a mixed martial arts training school .With power you should the correct time and technique to knockout the opponent.

Post #6   3/13/12 2:14:37AM