Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Matt Hughes vs. Diego Sanchez expected for UFC 135 in Denver

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,730-1,561
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The bout with no home has finally been pinned to an event.

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported in April, Matt Hughes (45-8 MMA, 18-6 UFC) and Diego Sanchez (23-4 MMA, 12-4 UFC) have agreed to meet on Sept. 24 at the as-yet-unannounced UFC 135 event, which is expected to take place at Pepsi Center in Denver.

LINK

Post #1   6/8/11 9:22:28PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:

Not too excited for this fight. I expect Diego to win though.

Post #2   6/8/11 9:28:46PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I would have been a lot more excited if they made this fight 3 or 4 years ago.

Post #3   6/8/11 9:30:40PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Same here. I like Hughes and it will always be a treat to watch him take the stage but this fight has very little meaning and merit.

I will watch it and I will root for Hughes but this fight will do little for either fighter. A win for Diego may improve his status but win or lose for Hughes does nothing IMO in terms of rankings.

These are simply fights the ufc put together to fulfill its contracts with fighters and nothing more. As long as the big dogs of the welter weight division are still with the ufc, Diego will not receive a legitimate title shot. I guess we can say Diego is a notch above a gate keeper.

I am a Hughes fan but we know Hughes is out of the picture. What he does from here on out is strictly the formalities of a retiring fighter.

If they can bring Carlos Newton back to face Hughes for a retirement match, I would be ecstatic.

Post #4   6/8/11 10:04:42PM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
Total waste of a fight.

Hughes isn't going to get Diego any closer to a title shot, at least it shouldn't.

And Hughes should be used for somebody like Condit or Macdonald maybe to finally build up a new star that GSP hasn't trashed already,

Post #5   6/8/11 10:06:33PM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Career:8-13
Chips:

Posted by 40ouncetpkid

Total waste of a fight.

Hughes isn't going to get Diego any closer to a title shot, at least it shouldn't.

And Hughes should be used for somebody like Condit or Macdonald maybe to finally build up a new star that GSP hasn't trashed already,

i agree... they need to use Hughes as a marketing tool for a new talent... being able to market a guy as having a win over Hughes is marketable... Deigo is a gatekeeper... kinda wastes Hughes last fight

Post #6   6/8/11 10:10:27PM   

quezocrema0032

In Full Mount

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,916-1,025
Chips:
Honestly their is a lot of hate on this post for no reason. 1. People are complaining about fights that don't make sense but also saying they should bring back Carlos Newton for a fight .... really ? 2. If you understand matchmaking you will understand that the ufc put this match together because Deigo is marketable and he is on a 2 fight winning streak but we all know he lost his last fight so they are giving him a name in which he could beat and state his place in the division.

Also Hughes doesn't want to take an easy fight before he calls it quit he wants to fight a name and a tough fight which Diego is. He wouldn't fight a Rory MacDonald cause its a tough fight in which there is no name value.

I just don't like people posting complaining when they should take into account why this is best for all 3 parties. Which are the both fighters and the promotion.

Post #7   6/8/11 11:04:18PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

Honestly their is a lot of hate on this post for no reason. 1. People are complaining about fights that don't make sense but also saying they should bring back Carlos Newton for a fight .... really ? 2. If you understand matchmaking you will understand that the ufc put this match together because Deigo is marketable and he is on a 2 fight winning streak but we all know he lost his last fight so they are giving him a name in which he could beat and state his place in the division.

Also Hughes doesn't want to take an easy fight before he calls it quit he wants to fight a name and a tough fight which Diego is. He wouldn't fight a Rory MacDonald cause its a tough fight in which there is no name value.

I just don't like people posting complaining when they should take into account why this is best for all 3 parties. Which are the both fighters and the promotion.

I don't know if any of this comment was directed towards me but all I said is I would have been more excited if it happened a few years ago, which is true. It's still an interesting fight in my opinion and I suspect Hughes has a decent chance of winning.

Post #8   6/8/11 11:30:28PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

Yes, really. I would love to see Hughes vs Newton one more time if that is ok with you?

If you understand anything about opinions, you will know opinions will vary. I deeply apologize for not sharing your opinion. If I had known the validity of your opinion was more true than scientific facts, I would follow you around and prop you all day long.

Post #9   6/8/11 11:31:10PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

I don't know if any of this comment was directed towards me but all I said is I would have been more excited if it happened a few years ago, which is true. It's still an interesting fight in my opinion and I suspect Hughes has a decent chance of winning.

You do not need to apologize for stating your opinion, Budge. I openly state my opinions all the time but I seldom attack other members for theirs. In-fact, I doubt I have criticized any member's opinions since I have been here.

Debating and stating a case is much different than insulting others of their opinions.

I may not agree with others, but I will not insult their opinions. Instead, I will defend my case with logic and facts.

Last edited 6/8/11 11:56PM server time by KungFuMaster
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   6/8/11 11:42:14PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
not exciting. diago is not what he used to be and neither is hughes.

Post #11   6/9/11 12:02:57AM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Career:8-13
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

not exciting. diago is not what he used to be and neither is hughes.

its a fight that has no bearing on the WW div...

Post #12   6/9/11 12:04:01AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Budgellism

You do not need to apologize for stating your opinion, Budge. I openly state my opinions all the time but I seldom attack other members for theirs. In-fact, I doubt I have criticized any member's opinions since I have been here.

Debating and stating a case is much different than insulting others of their opinions.

I may not agree with others, but I will not insult their opinions. Instead, I will defend my case with logic and facts.

Oh, you'll rarely find me apologizing. I only do that when I think I'm wrong. Which rarely happens, hahaha

Post #13   6/9/11 12:26:46AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Oh, you'll rarely find me apologizing. I only do that when I think I'm wrong. Which rarely happens, hahaha

Anyone who has been here for at least a month knows you are one of the more knowledgeable posters regarding mma. I know because you and some others have demonstrated you know more and follow the sport more closely than I do. Either that or you guys google more than I do.

Props to you, Budge. If it wasn't for you, I may have quit this site a few days after signing up. I swore there were times I thought only you and I were posting. Day after day I would only see my name and yours as being the last to post on a section.

Post #14   6/9/11 1:08:53AM   

quezocrema0032

In Full Mount

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,916-1,025
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by quezocrema0032

It wasn't because your right they were higher ranked contenders a few years back.

Post #15   6/9/11 1:31:52AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2