Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Strikeforce's Overeem and Werdum hope grand-prix title leads to UFC title shot

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,475-898
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
With one crossover fight between a UFC champ and Strikeforce champ now in the books, it's not unreasonable to wonder what's in store for the champions of other weight divisions.

And with the second round of the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix around the corner – a tournament that several of its participants have previously said will crown the No. 1 heavyweight in the world – it's not a stretch to imagine the winner presenting a good case for another crossover.

Although Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem (34-11 MMA, 3-0 SF) and Fabricio Werdum (14-4-1 MMA, 3-0 SF) are focused on fighting each other in the quarterfinals of the tournament, they share the hope that winning the competition will open the door to a bout with current UFC heavyweight kingpin Cain Velasquez.

Article

Post #1   6/7/11 8:08:00PM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Career:8-13
Chips:
Werdum washed out of the UFC once already... who knows if the SF HWs can hang with the UFC ones... their HWs have almost always been the UFC flunkies and the guys the UFC never wanted

Post #2   6/7/11 8:15:23PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,754-1,581
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Jekyll

Werdum washed out of the UFC once already... who knows if the SF HWs can hang with the UFC ones... their HWs have almost always been the UFC flunkies and the guys the UFC never wanted

I wouldn't call him a flunky. He wanted more money even after losing to JDS so the ufc said **** that and let him go. That's how I remember it at least. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Post #3   6/7/11 8:32:41PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,709-955
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Jekyll

I wouldn't call him a flunky. He wanted more money even after losing to JDS so the ufc said **** that and let him go. That's how I remember it at least. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

From what I've heard they terminated his contract. He denied rumors of being released for a full week, thinking he was still in the UFC until they finally contacted him.

To be honest, though, Werdum shouldn't have been released. His UFC record sits at 2-2, with losses to Arlovski and Dos Santos, and wins against Vera and Gonzaga. Can't really blame him on the losses. Arlovski was still in his prime when he beat Werdum, and no one knew how dangerous JDS was before he beat Werdum.

Last edited 6/7/11 8:50PM server time by FastKnockout
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   6/7/11 8:49:53PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Overeem vs Cain my god would that be fun to watch.

Post #5   6/7/11 9:04:12PM   

hashyandy4

Super MW King S.O.G.

hashyandy4 Avatar

Career:614-326
Chips:
i'm cool with the winner getting a shot, sounds like it would sale well 2

Post #6   6/7/11 10:08:52PM   

quezocrema0032

In Full Mount

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,938-1,034
Chips:
I feel like the only 2 heavyweights from this tourney I would want to see fight Cain would be Overeem and Big foot. To be honest the winner of this tourney does deserve a title shot, but no Strikeforce champ deserves a title shot more then Gilbert. I'm upset Diaz got the first crack at UFC gold.

Post #7   6/7/11 10:14:17PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

I feel like the only 2 heavyweights from this tourney I would want to see fight Cain would be Overeem and Big foot. To be honest the winner of this tourney does deserve a title shot, but no Strikeforce champ deserves a title shot more then Gilbert. I'm upset Diaz got the first crack at UFC gold.

Your right but you understand why?

Post #8   6/7/11 10:23:22PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Yeah....if we could get going on this grand-prix again and stop waiting.

Post #9   6/7/11 11:08:47PM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:

Posted by Jekyll

I wouldn't go that far man. If you didn't know, Werdum was pretty much the #1 contender before he got KO'd by Dos Santos who damn well could be champion very soon. He would have gotten a title shot if not for Lesnar's popularity. Not to mention he chose not to sign back with the UFC.

I think it'd be an absolutely crime if the winner of this grand prix didn't get a UFC title shot, especially since the finals will probably be strikeforce PPV. And the winner of this tournament would have done way more then anybody else in the UFC heavyweight division not named Dos Santos who will get his shot before this tourny ends.

Post #10   6/8/11 1:08:45AM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:494-331
Chips:
Barnett v Overeem is what i think will be the final of the HW grand prix and i think Overeem is gonna walk through Wedrum and Barnett but if he goes up against Velasquez then thats a hell of a fight which could go either way.

Post #11   6/8/11 1:24:45AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,547-1,624
Chips:
The only thing I think could go wrong is if Barnett did win....the UFC will never take him back.....When SF is absorbed the UFC will be nearly complete....they have a solid LW Div, and even a couple of LHWs to add to the mix....not to mention the HWs (Overeem, Werdum, Fedor, Bigfoot, etc). The last step would be to gain some of the FWs and BWs from Asia. 5 years or more for that.

Post #12   6/8/11 1:44:30AM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
Hate making guarentees, but if the GP winner is Overeem or Werdum, either one will get a title shot, especially Overeem and Im pretty damn confident in that. If Kharitonov, Bigfoot or Barnett wins I just dont see it happening unless they beat a contender in zuffa or two.

Last edited 6/8/11 1:46AM server time by cooler

Post #13   6/8/11 1:45:40AM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

The only thing I think could go wrong is if Barnett did win....the UFC will never take him back.....When SF is absorbed the UFC will be nearly complete....they have a solid LW Div, and even a couple of LHWs to add to the mix....not to mention the HWs (Overeem, Werdum, Fedor, Bigfoot, etc). The last step would be to gain some of the FWs and BWs from Asia. 5 years or more for that.

Barnett technically fights for the UFC right now. And theres a recent pic of Dana and Barnett being buddy buddy with each other. On top of that Dana is the only one who had a beef with Barnett, according to Lorenzo he was in talks with Barnett after Pride folded and Ive heard theyre okay with each other.

I think we'll see Barnett in the UFC again.

Post #14   6/8/11 1:48:14AM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jekyll

Overeem, Werdum and Bigfoot are all top 10 and Barnett could easily be in there and i find your post to be fighter bashing on many levels.

And Werdum isnt a "washout" if you were a fan back then you'd know they were going to give Werdum a title shot then Brock leapfrogged him with a whopping 2-1 record, of corse they gave Brock the fight, Werdum would have tapped Randy easily then they have a champ they cant market.

So Werdum took the fight with JDS, obviously lost and when they tried to short change Werdum on his next contract, he left. Arlovski left of his own accord too, he knew the best HW wasnt in the UFC at that moment so he left.

Now im not saying Cain isnt the best as a fact.. but imo he isnt.

Last edited 6/8/11 1:54AM server time by cooler
2 total post edits

Post #15   6/8/11 1:52:37AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2