Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Clay Guida does NOT LnP

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
First and foremost, so I can cut off disgruntled Pettis fans right now, Pettis is going to be a future champ one day, he is only 24 and a disgusting fighter, BUT, he had one glaring weakness...wrestling, and Guida took full advantage of that weakness.

Now, the main reason I am posting. I haven't read so many sour grapes comments in my years watching MMA. SO many people are complaining that Guida "fitched" his way to victory, and LnP'ed this and that. Newsflash: Clay Guida does NOT lay n pray, and if you accuse him of such, you clearly have no idea what lay n pray is. The man didn't stop once the entire fight, he was on fire. If Pettis was an inferior BJJ practitioner, that would have been a finish (and again, MAJOR props to Pettis for showing his magnificent jits game), but Clay being Clay, nullified Pettis' skillset.

Personally, I was cheering, sitting at my computer watching this bout, and I never do that. This fight was so damn exciting; it really reinforced why I enjoy MMA, so to read all these fickle LnP comments was absolutely unbelievable to me (though it shouldn't be).

Post #1   6/5/11 12:01:02PM   

SNAPNAPORTAP

Learning to Sprawl

SNAPNAPORTAP Avatar

Career:89-84
Camp: Champions Den
Chips:
Guida's victory last night is EXACTLY what Dana White is always preaching about FINISHING FIGHTS. Not once did he look to advance position, attempt to inflict damage through GnP, or finish the fight. He does stay "active", if you consider shoulder thrusts a strike. Guida does have SICK BJJ defense, but that is the only exciting thing about his game. I respect the fact he has a gameplan that he sticks to and works to perfection, but last night is why he is behind Jim MIller for the title shot, instead of Dana proclaiming Guida next in line after Maynard/Edgar. I wouldn't call Guida a "lay and pray" fighter, I have a new term for him. "DUMP n HUMP" Dumps people on their ass, then proceeds to hump it.

**COPYRIGHT ON THE DUMP N HUMP!! U HEARD IT HEAR FIRST!!**

Post #2   6/5/11 12:34:30PM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Career:8-13
Chips:

Posted by warglory

First and foremost, so I can cut off disgruntled Pettis fans right now, Pettis is going to be a future champ one day, he is only 24 and a disgusting fighter, BUT, he had one glaring weakness...wrestling, and Guida took full advantage of that weakness.

Now, the main reason I am posting. I haven't read so many sour grapes comments in my years watching MMA. SO many people are complaining that Guida "fitched" his way to victory, and LnP'ed this and that. Newsflash: Clay Guida does NOT lay n pray, and if you accuse him of such, you clearly have no idea what lay n pray is. The man didn't stop once the entire fight, he was on fire. If Pettis was an inferior BJJ practitioner, that would have been a finish (and again, MAJOR props to Pettis for showing his magnificent jits game), but Clay being Clay, nullified Pettis' skillset.

Personally, I was cheering, sitting at my computer watching this bout, and I never do that. This fight was so damn exciting; it really reinforced why I enjoy MMA, so to read all these fickle LnP comments was absolutely unbelievable to me (though it shouldn't be).

you seem to not know what LnP is... LnP is simply holding your opponent down doing NOTHING to finish the fight... thats what Clay did, he simply controlled the fight with no thought of finishing it and hoping to get the nod at the end.

If you look back at Guidas "exciting" fights they are all fights in which he loses... he is very exciting when hes getting beat up, but when he wins he simply holds on. Look back at the Diaz fight, IMO Diaz won the fight because he was doing everything he could to finish the fight, all Guida was was try not to lose.

A fighter goes out to beat the other guy, a fighter does not go out to not lose. If you do not understand the difference in trying to win and trying not to lose then you can never understand LnP.

Post #3   6/5/11 12:38:58PM   

Aleks_Smash

MMA Regular

Aleks_Smash Avatar

Career:694-497
Chips:
I respect the fact that guida can hold a guy down. he does not have to punch/elbow/knee from the ground ever. He simply moves his opponent around while not allowing them to advance position. But he did not advance his position once last night until the end of the third round when he passed to half guard. What he does is not very pretty but it wins fights for him. People need to learn to stand up from guida on top. For you to deny that he holds people down and does not try to finish is crazy.

Post #4   6/5/11 12:55:06PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jekyll
you seem to not know what LnP is... LnP is simply holding your opponent down doing NOTHING to finish the fight... thats what Clay did, he simply controlled the fight with no thought of finishing it and hoping to get the nod at the end.

If you look back at Guidas "exciting" fights they are all fights in which he loses... he is very exciting when hes getting beat up, but when he wins he simply holds on. Look back at the Diaz fight, IMO Diaz won the fight because he was doing everything he could to finish the fight, all Guida was was try not to lose.

A fighter goes out to beat the other guy, a fighter does not go out to not lose. If you do not understand the difference in trying to win and trying not to lose then you can never understand LnP.

LnP is controlling someone until time runs out, and getting the decision as a result, thus, playing it safe. Clay Guida has NEVER simply laid on someone to allow the time to run out, he grinds you, and consistently tries to do damage, never playing it safe. Just because he happens to fight guys on the ground who are quality ground fighters, like Pettis who has fantastic wrist control, all of a sudden he is a LnP'er? How come it's only wrestlers who get this wrap, why not jits guys who, in an effort to get a submission, constantly work for that one maneuver, and as a result don't land strikes in the process? LnP is old school UFC from guys like Tito Ortiz and Dan Severn who either didn't know how to transition to subs and gnp, or they didn't care to. Strategies to grind out opponents is not the same thing as LnP.

Furthermore, Clay Guida has finished his last 3 fights, where are you getting this idea that Clay doesn't finish fights? Guida ALWAYS tries to finish his fights. Beyond that, the fights he lost are still HIS fights, so to say that just because he lost them, they don't count is absurd. Clay fights the same fight every time he goes in with varying degrees of success, but he still fights the same way. If he is out-matched on the feet, he'll take your ass down, which is what he did to Pettis.

Last edited 6/5/11 1:01PM server time by warglory
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   6/5/11 1:00:09PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:

Posted by SNAPNAPORTAP

Guida's victory last night is EXACTLY what Dana White is always preaching about FINISHING FIGHTS. Not once did he look to advance position, attempt to inflict damage through GnP, or finish the fight. He does stay "active", if you consider shoulder thrusts a strike. Guida does have SICK BJJ defense, but that is the only exciting thing about his game. I respect the fact he has a gameplan that he sticks to and works to perfection, but last night is why he is behind Jim MIller for the title shot, instead of Dana proclaiming Guida next in line after Maynard/Edgar. I wouldn't call Guida a "lay and pray" fighter, I have a new term for him. "DUMP n HUMP" Dumps people on their ass, then proceeds to hump it.

**COPYRIGHT ON THE DUMP N HUMP!! U HEARD IT HEAR FIRST!!**

Right, because diving into triangles and armbars with reckless abandon is LnP, or as you say, dump n hump. Ridiculous.

Post #6   6/5/11 1:03:03PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Aleks_Smash

I respect the fact that guida can hold a guy down. he does not have to punch/elbow/knee from the ground ever. He simply moves his opponent around while not allowing them to advance position. But he did not advance his position once last night until the end of the third round when he passed to half guard. What he does is not very pretty but it wins fights for him. People need to learn to stand up from guida on top. For you to deny that he holds people down and does not try to finish is crazy.

Guida always threw more signifcant strikes than Pettis did, how do you account for that? Guida was CONSTANTLY looking to move into a superior position, just because he doesn't toss his opponents around like rag dolls is more due to the superior ground opponents he fights, than his lack of aggression. Did you notice how many sub attempts he simply shrugged off from Pettis? Besides that, Guida stood w/ Roger Huerta, Kenny Florian, Takanori Gomi, Diego Sanchez, etc, yet all his detractors point out is his seemingly inability to finish guys on the mat.

Last edited 6/5/11 1:11PM server time by warglory
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #7   6/5/11 1:08:35PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
If Guida is LnP then Pettis is HnP means hold opponents wrist and hope he falls into a sub....he is just as much at fault as Guida....he should have looked to scramble back to the feet....When you dont get a sub like in the first round after all the attempts I dont know why a fighter thinks he will get one later when more sweat is a factor...YOu have to adapt in fights and game plan also as you go...

He shoudla abandoned the thoguht of submitting Clay...

Post #8   6/5/11 1:14:02PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,876-1,035
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Guida didn't lay and pray. It's just that when he wasn't trying to improve position, he was busy guarding himself from submissions and couldn't put up much of an offense. I thought it was a fun fight to watch from both fighters, though. I have no complaints.

Post #9   6/5/11 1:40:57PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Guida didn't lay and pray. It's just that when he wasn't trying to improve position, he was busy guarding himself from submissions and couldn't put up much of an offense. I thought it was a fun fight to watch from both fighters, though. I have no complaints.

Clay LNP's about as much as Bisping knocks people out.

Post #10   6/5/11 1:54:27PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
It was an entertaining fight. I have told you guys Pettis is over-rated. ....and I still do believe he is over-rated.

Anyway, the fight went almost exactly as I have imagined it would but I'll admit, I was cringing during the whole fight.

Post #11   6/5/11 2:04:22PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,876-1,035
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

It was an entertaining fight. I have told you guys Pettis is over-rated. ....and I still do believe he is over-rated.

Anyway, the fight went almost exactly as I have imagined it would but I'll admit, I was cringing during the whole fight.

How is he overrated?

Post #12   6/5/11 2:10:51PM   

Passive_Jay

Learning to Sprawl

Passive_Jay Avatar

Career:837-557
Camp: View Askew M.M.A.
Chips:
I loved this fight, as I did the Torres/Johnson fight, as long as its active I enjoy a good ground fight.

Post #13   6/5/11 2:11:13PM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:
he didn't do much last night... except avoid submission

Post #14   6/5/11 2:20:33PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,636-1,440
Chips:
Honestly, I think people are just bitter because they either picked Pettis or are sad to see him lose his title shot, which is understandable. He's an exciting, likeable guy, and a fight with Edgar/Maynard would have been awesome.

But face facts, wrestling isnt going anywhere in mma. Guida came in with a perfect gameplan and did we he needed to win. If Pettis doesnt like it, step up your game bro! Edgar, Maynard, Melendez, or Miller would all have done the same thing.

Post #15   6/5/11 2:42:44PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4