Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale winner Clay Guida: "Wrestling wins championships"

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,557-943
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
LAS VEGAS – UFC lightweight contender Clay Guida's grappling-heavy victory over Anthony Pettis (13-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) may have done little to wow some fans, but "The Carpenter" doesn't regret the strategy.

Sure, he would have liked to finish the fight just as much as Spike TV-viewers probably hoped to witness such a result in the co-feature of Saturday night's The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale event, but it simply didn't happen.

Nevertheless, Guida (29-11 MMA, 9-5 UFC) never thought once about straying from his wrestling-based approach. After all, Guida is simply following a blueprint established by countless others – control the position, control the fight.

Article

Post #1   6/5/11 9:45:28AM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Career:8-13
Chips:
Clay the Carpet Guida... loses fantasitcally, wins by LnP

Post #2   6/5/11 11:46:25AM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
It really wasn't lay and pray, Pettis's awesome guard just made the grappling into somewhat of a stalemate, which the man on top almost always wins.

Post #3   6/5/11 12:49:05PM   

SNAPNAPORTAP

Learning to Sprawl

SNAPNAPORTAP Avatar

Career:89-84
Camp: Champions Den
Chips:
......zzzzzzz.....Oh, sorry, I just woke up from watching Guida fight again......

Post #4   6/5/11 1:37:20PM   

hashyandy4

Super MW King S.O.G.

hashyandy4 Avatar

Career:614-326
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Guida is rite, i didnt really think that fight last nite was boring at all

Post #5   6/5/11 1:56:54PM   

casketcoin

Standup Guy

casketcoin Avatar

Career:2,289-1,518
Camp: Fight Ducker
Chips:
its kind of hard to win a fight when youre fighting the captain of the bayside tigers wrestling team

Post #6   6/5/11 2:19:51PM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hashyandy4

it wasn't a fight, it was wrestling...

i love a good ground fight but when you are just there trying not to lose its not fighting

Post #7   6/5/11 2:25:38PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,557-943
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jekyll

Posted by hashyandy4

it wasn't a fight, it was wrestling...

i love a good ground fight but when you are just there trying not to lose its not fighting

This! For what the ground game should be, look at Torres-Johnson. That's a "fight" on the ground. Of course, that was a BS outcome, the guy who worked the most for the finish didn't win. I digress...

Pettis had good wrist control going, and was good at neutralizing Clay from the top. But there needs to be stand ups. There aren't any anymore. And it pisses me off. If the guy on top isn't improving his position or throwing significant strikes, and the guy on the ground isn't sweeping or going for subs, stand it up.

I am all for doing what you need to do to win. But when you use your wrestling to just gain position, and then don't threaten with strikes or subs, you aren't fighting, you're wrestling.

And we know why Guida went with the gameplan he did. He used his wrestling to avoid getting KTFO or subbed. Or, to essentially avoid the fight.

Post #8   6/5/11 2:34:39PM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Chips:
Guida went into the fight to not lose, he did not go in wanting to win.

Fighting to win is much different then fightin to not lose. Guida never tried to win, he spent the whole fight trying to not lose, and that was his plan.

Post #9   6/5/11 2:58:23PM   

SNAPNAPORTAP

Learning to Sprawl

SNAPNAPORTAP Avatar

Career:89-84
Camp: Champions Den
Chips:

Posted by Jekyll

Guida went into the fight to not lose, he did not go in wanting to win.

Fighting to win is much different then fightin to not lose. Guida never tried to win, he spent the whole fight trying to not lose, and that was his plan.

AMEN!!

Post #10   6/5/11 3:08:29PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Did guida take a GSP seminar or something

Post #11   6/5/11 3:55:57PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I find Guida boring as well, but he wasn't COMPLETELY inactive on top. As usual he wasn't throwing anything that would threaten to end the fight, but he was throwing a lot of shoulder strikes, knees to the back of the legs, and light hammerfists. They shouldn't count as much as hard strikes thrown from a postured fighter, but they also shouldn't be completely ignored.

Pettis' guard was very active but it wasn't very threatening IMO. If you compare his guard against Guida to Maldonado's guard against Kingsbury for example, you can see that When Maldonado attacked from the bottom he was really putting Kingsbury in danger and forcing positional advantages, whereas Pettis was mostly just forcing him to stay busy defending.

Personally I would like for BJJ to be scored far more than it is (which is basically not at all. You either submit the guy or you're losing the fight) but I think that neither guy was posing a lot of threat to the other in this fight even when you take the submission attempts into consideration. If the fight were scored in Japan I think it could have been called either way to be honest.

The obvious comparison that most people are going to make on this fight is Torres vs Johnson, but I think this fight was quite a bit different, because Johnson was REALLY inactive while on top. I counted around a half a dozen hammerfists in the second round, and dozens of elbows and heel strikes from Torres from the bottom. I also felt that Miguel's guard was considerably more threatening and forced a lot of sweeps.

I think that Guida vs Pettis would very likely have ended up in a split decision for either guy under Japanese judging rules where they take offensive guards into consideration, whereas I think Torres vs Johnson would've been an easy UD for Torres.

Post #12   6/5/11 6:52:45PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I have no problem with the way Guida fights. He is very limited to what he can do but he makes up for it with movement, wildness and a relentless approach to prevent his opponents from setting up anything.

Guida's hair bobbing and frantic movements are more entertaining than some fights.

Post #13   6/5/11 7:08:00PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Between Aether, Jekkyl, and pmoney I think its all been said.

Guida is boring and fights not to lose. Its the epitome of lay and pray.

Jiu jitsu isn't scored near enough in MMA.

Post #14   6/5/11 7:15:43PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I think a lot of us saw this coming from a mile away. The truth is Pettis was nowhere near ready for a title shot. Although Pettis had a very active guard, all he seemed to have in his arsenal was a triangle and an armbar--and by now most mma vets have defended and drilled those thousands of times...unless you catch them napping they have a very small success rate.

It was a pretty boring bout to be honest. Not taking anything away from Guida, but I'm not even sure he landed a single clean shot in fifteen minutes. They'll probably both walk away looking the same as they did before the bout. I don't think Guida was trying to LnP, but he wasn't exactly trying to finish the bout either.

Last edited 6/6/11 1:50AM server time by Wolfenstein
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   6/6/11 1:48:59AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2