Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Despite losing title shot, TUF 13 Finale's Anthony Pettis finds a silver lining

Print  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,588-965
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Those around him may lament the loss of a promised title shot, but Anthony Pettis refuses to dwell on the what-ifs.

The final WEC lightweight champion and would-be top UFC contender opted to take a fight with Clay Guida rather than wait on the sidelines for a shot at the gold.

Guida derailed Pettis' momentum with a grinder-like performance at The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale on Saturday. But Pettis isn't a regretful guy.

Article

Last edited 6/5/11 11:33AM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   6/5/11 9:41:58AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Pettis has NOTHING to worry about, he looked fantastic off of his back, and of course his stand up was golden. He'll bee a champ one day, no doubt.

Post #2   6/5/11 11:51:40AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Pettis stand up is exciting but he should definitely sit behind a jab with his reach...I understand wanting to be exciting but truth is hes got a ways to go to be a champ and all the talk of he will be a champ one day to me is just talk....There are more and more great wrestlers that are getting into MMA...

Bubba Jenkins is gettting in and I bet is at 155...Pettis needs to drastically work on his TD defense...Guida being a good wrestler isnt the elite...Wrestling is the one base that can take you to a championship...Over striking and BJJ...So all the talk about him being a champ one day...Maybe by a nice KO punch but at this point he will only hold it until a great wrestler fights him...

Pettis needs to change camps his striking is great but he needs to get to a camp that wrestles more...Just cause Ben Askren is there only means Askren wants to work on his striking..Not spend his time teaching guys to wrestle....Pettis should go train with Bader and CB Dollaway..Or head ove to AKA with Fitch and Company...Or he will start racking up the losses cause the LW is wrestler heavy...and like 5 very good ones....so he wont even be top five...

Last edited 6/5/11 12:48PM server time by kingsmasher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   6/5/11 12:19:29PM   

vomitshovel

MMA Regular

vomitshovel Avatar

Career:136-93
Camp: Xtreme Fight Militia
Chips:
I can't wait until guys start using rubber guard properly to eliminate wrestling. Pettis' ground game would have won him that fight if he could have controlled posture.
Bjj is so easily avoidable in MMA until you see someone using rubber guard, or some beast like maia or jacare

Post #4   6/5/11 1:31:57PM