Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

X Men First Class

Print  
Posted By Message

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,503-878
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Just got back from seeing it and I gotta say I thought it was 1000000 percent awesome. The action was relentless,the nods to the previous movies where good,and the character development between Xavier,Magneto, and Mystique was golden.
I wasnt' complete thrilled with the somewhat James Bond vibe to it but it fit well and I felt I was watching a comic book come to life at times.
I think this set a new standard for the superhero genre.

Pros: The action. Good Story.
Cons: Prefered Kelsey Grammer as Beast. The beginning drags out a little but was worth it.

Post #1   6/3/11 6:16:46PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,803-1,002
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Thanks for the heads up. I'm planning on seeing it sometime this weekend.

Post #2   6/3/11 6:49:12PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I haven't liked any of the X men movies or really any of the comic book/super hero movies lately.

But the trailer I saw for this First Class didn't look too bad.

Post #3   6/3/11 8:17:48PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,534-933
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I have not been big on the comic book movies. I loved the X-Men movies (see: X-Men 2 especially). This one looked whack to me from the previews. Good to hear a good review! I ******* loved Thor, but everything else.... meh. I just might use my movie passes on this! Although the Mrs. wants to see Bridesmaids....

Post #4   6/4/11 12:33:51AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by pmoney

I have not been big on the comic book movies. I loved the X-Men movies (see: X-Men 2 especially). This one looked whack to me from the previews. Good to hear a good review! I ******* loved Thor, but everything else.... meh. I just might use my movie passes on this! Although the Mrs. wants to see Bridesmaids....

It's definently a different animal from all the other films. It has a more comic book feel during the action sequences.
My biggest gripe with it is probably the fact that nothing in it feels quiet as authenticly real as the first two films,but while watching it I couldn't help but think this is what an X film should look like.

Post #5   6/4/11 7:57:35AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Call me petty, but I was turned off from seeing this movie, because Mystique I don't think was ever part of the X-Men in such a capacity. I know it's just a movie and not necessarily in line with the comics, but that I thought was going a bit overboard. I'll probably end up seeing it though.

Post #6   6/4/11 8:23:09AM   

rockyf

MMA Regular

Career:38-31
Chips:
Yeah mystique was never a real xman, she joined briefly in a certain storyline but it was short lived and when the xmen were well established...

it sort of puts me off too but everyone is giving it such good reviews..!!

Post #7   6/5/11 3:58:56PM   

FrankTheTank1181

Standup Guy

FrankTheTank1181 Avatar

Career:1,487-880
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I was blown away by the lack of action for a superhero/action movie. The movie is over 2 hours long with maybe 30 minutes of action. I was also disappointed with some of the mutants, Angel, Darwin and Banshee were pretty lame I thought, and the costume/makeup for Beast was so bad it was almost embarrassing. I drove with some friends, but if I had drove myself it would have been hard for me not to walk out.

Post #8   6/5/11 4:15:03PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FrankTheTank1181

I was blown away by the lack of action for a superhero/action movie. The movie is over 2 hours long with maybe 30 minutes of action. I was also disappointed with some of the mutants, Angel, Darwin and Banshee were pretty lame I thought, and the costume/makeup for Beast was so bad it was almost embarrassing. I drove with some friends, but if I had drove myself it would have been hard for me not to walk out.

Strange how big the difference in opinion is isn't it?

Me,my brother,and his friend actually thought the action scenes in first class where better than Thor,but overall we thought chosing a better movie was a tossup. I felt at times the CG on Beast looked well and at other times was off.

Last edited 6/5/11 7:52PM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   6/5/11 7:35:15PM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Career:8-13
Chips:
it was ok, but it would of been better if it actually followed the comics... not to mention they compeltely fried the timeline with it and the other x-man movied that were recently made, yet they tried to tie them together with the Logan cameo.

It just seem torn with them trying to make this as a prequel to the others but yet it also wanted to be it own thing and ignore what happened in the other movies...

Big big screw ups being Havok and Cyclops are brothers not father and son, Mystique did not grow up with Xavier, Darwin cannot be killed the way they "killed" him. Pretty much the only thing they did right was Magneto as far as his anger, but her and Xavier built Cerebro and the blackbird, not beast with the MiB.

It was a continuity screw up in every way possible. It might appeal to people who know nothing of the X-men and pretty much forgot everything they herd in the first 3 movies. The feel of the movie to me feels like it was not made for current X-Men fans but to make a movie to get people into X-men

Post #10   6/14/11 6:13:04PM