Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fixed Fights

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

teamquestnorth

Standup Guy

teamquestnorth Avatar

Career:899-614
Camp: The Underground
Chips:
read "no holds barred" by clyde gentry or watch ufc 6 clash of the titans and jim brown and the other commentators were openly calling it out and they had the same manager.

Post #16   5/2/07 11:59:50PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:

Posted by greshamfighter

read "no holds barred" by clyde gentry or watch ufc 6 clash of the titans and jim brown and the other commentators were openly calling it out and they had the same manager.

Thanks I'll get the book.... and rewatch the event, I just recently watched UFC 7 and read beyond the lions den and there seem to be no underones of any works with Oleg... but again, I'll look into it... thanks...

Post #17   5/3/07 12:09:54AM   

BadSanta

Banned

Career:45-27
Chips:
There are varying level of degrees of "corruption" in contact sports. It ranges from outright fixes to uneven matchups. I think that the UFC is guilty of the latter but there is absolutely no evidence to prove that any fighters are taking deliberate dives.

Post #18   5/3/07 12:51:44AM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:
How far is standing up a fighter to achieve a certain situation that benefits your advertising purposes from actually fixing a fight?

I mean, they arent telling people to take dives, but there are obvious injunctions in place to affect the outcome of some fights... Even if it is a subtile (lol) stand up to get Mirko the highlight KO... Wow, that backfired.

Post #19   5/3/07 2:18:10AM   

johny_rotten

Standup Guy

johny_rotten Avatar

Career:125-71
Camp: 518 Death Squad
Chips:

Posted by greshamfighter

there been some fixed fights in the ufc like don frye mark hall and anthony macias vs oleg taktarov but those were ten second ankle locks. the upsets that are happening this year are full blown ko's. The fighters who arent making much, "undercard fighters" lets say make 3000 a fight. How much do you think the ufc or certain sharks would be willing to pay them to take a fall? 5 or 10 grand? I dont know about you guys but i wouldnt want to get ktfo on tv in front of 15000 people unless i was getting ATLEAST 50-100,000 dollars.

Say they only get 10k to throw a fight, depending on the bout that could be high or really low. Then you have the guy being a major favorite, so he is probably making at least 10k. You take 20k, and place it on the other guy to win at lets say 6-1 as was the case with Yves, and you just cleared 120k. That is some serious dough for a guy that usually needs 4 fights in the UFC just to make middle class on the social ladder.

Post #20   5/3/07 2:53:57AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I personally don't believe most of the fixed claims in ni holds barred. Good read though. In the old pancrase and a lot of early Japanese orgs. their were a lot of rumors. However, now that the major orgs. aren't connected with Pro wrestling I think it's not happening. Add the major regulations that have been added, and I say no. I think that kind of thing has not happened in a long time , in any major show. Sure, almost anything is possible, but it's so big now that if anything looked really fishy people( especially gamblers) would be screaming to high heaven about it. Also Frye denied it, and when a guy gets beaq real quick it's possible he's trying to save face. To the thread starter could please post a link to this story. I would like to read it. I admit I'm not a big fan of MMAweekly's so called journalism, but I'm kind of surprised I don't remember such an inflammatory article. I check about 10 MMA sites a day multiple times, and I'm bummed I missed the boat on this one.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #21   5/3/07 5:33:59AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I personally don't believe most of the fixed claims in ni holds barred. Good read though. In the old pancrase and a lot of early Japanese orgs. their were a lot of rumors. However, now that the major orgs. aren't connected with Pro wrestling I think it's not happening. Add the major regulations that have been added, and I say no. I think that kind of thing has not happened in a long time , in any major show. Sure, almost anything is possible, but it's so big now that if anything looked really fishy people( especially gamblers) would be screaming to high heaven about it. Also Frye denied it, and when a guy gets beaq real quick it's possible he's trying to save face.

i completely agree, MMA is not boxing, there arent nearly as many hands in the major orgs cookie jars

Post #22   5/3/07 5:41:29AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by richieb19

I call source on Oleg/MadDog

Look at Oleg's face after the fight. The fight was not fixed, but I think Macias intentionally lost. They trained together and I think Macias felt that Oleg had a better chance of winning.

Post #23   5/3/07 9:44:00AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I personally don't believe most of the fixed claims in ni holds barred. Good read though. In the old pancrase and a lot of early Japanese orgs. their were a lot of rumors. However, now that the major orgs. aren't connected with Pro wrestling I think it's not happening. Add the major regulations that have been added, and I say no. I think that kind of thing has not happened in a long time , in any major show. Sure, almost anything is possible, but it's so big now that if anything looked really fishy people( especially gamblers) would be screaming to high heaven about it. Also Frye denied it, and when a guy gets beaq real quick it's possible he's trying to save face. To the thread starter could please post a link to this story. I would like to read it. I admit I'm not a big fan of MMAweekly's so called journalism, but I'm kind of surprised I don't remember such an inflammatory article. I check about 10 MMA sites a day multiple times, and I'm bummed I missed the boat on this one.

A lot of the Japanese venues had alleged ties to the yakuza, so it wouldn't shock me if there were some fixes. However, it is Japan and they play by the rules a lot more than they do in North America.

I am a cynical person, and it wouldn't shock me if there are instances (in the UFC or other orgs) of, well lets call them favoured fights, where a certain fighter gets a little more slack from judges and refs.

On one hand, the fans of MMA make it clear that they want certain people to win and by a certain means. MMA is a business like any other and the ultimate goal is to make money.

On the other hand, MMA is so new right now, I can't see the companies taking risks at this point. It would only add more controversy and that is undesired.

Last edited 5/3/07 4:03PM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #24   5/3/07 9:49:23AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:

Posted by Zvonimir

Fixed fights: See any fight with Nobuhiko Takada.

Correction, see any WIN by Takada. HIs losses weren't worked.

Post #25   5/3/07 10:50:09AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
I am 99.9 % sure that Hominick/ Edwards was not a fixed fight. Why would a bottom tiered paylevel fighter like Yves making only 10k to show risk throwing a fight. If the UFC ever found out he would never be brought back. Not only that his whole image would be destroyed and any value along with it.

Post #26   5/3/07 3:09:02PM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Career:152-97
Chips:
Yeah I have thoughts sometimes that a fight maybe fixed... As someone else here said the randy/tim fight seemed a little fishy to me too.

But I try not to think about these things much. I think it's very rare if it does happen. UFC sure didn't want cro cop getting KO'd seeing how much they are paying him. As for the randy/tim fight they trained together maybe randy knew something we didn't I guess. (he was talking how leg sweeps always worked on tim)

I think the sport over all is pretty legit the worst I see happening is judges calling fights wrong. bonnar vs jarden had to be the worst call i've seen. Fighters can avoid the judges though.

Last edited 5/3/07 3:16PM server time by shackle

Post #27   5/3/07 3:15:29PM   

teamquestnorth

Standup Guy

teamquestnorth Avatar

Career:899-614
Camp: The Underground
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

alright when I first read that I was skeptical too but after watching tapes and looking around on fightfinder mark hall and don frye fought three times. two of the fights nearly went the distance with mark halls "never say die attitude"Frye was never in any real danger but hall just wouldnt go away. Now all of a sudden its 1996 at the ultimate ultimate and mark hall and don frye have the same manager. tank abbot had already made it to the finals. frye had been in an exhausting war with gary goodrige earlier that night. he still needed to get past mark hall to get to tank. So when the fight starts frye gets a ten second ankle submission something he never does in real fights. I dont doubt at all that he denies it. ps im not taking anything away from don frye hes a terific fighter and ive never heard or suspect that theres ever been any other fixes in his career(mma wise).

Post #28   5/4/07 8:01:41PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:

Posted by Manfred

Posted by Zvonimir

Fixed fights: See any fight with Nobuhiko Takada.

Correction, see any WIN by Takada. HIs losses weren't worked.

specifcally: mark coleman vs takada

Post #29   5/5/07 12:27:01PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
If I was Yves and was about to throw a fight. Why the hell would I go get submitted by a guy with barely NO ground experience and by a terrible triangle. Wouldn't the guy throwing the fight want it to look legit?? If I was Yves and I was about to threw that fight I would go down to one of Marks body shots a´la Ruediger.

Last edited 5/5/07 1:26PM server time by Stickan

Post #30   5/5/07 1:25:38PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3