Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fixed Fights

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

johny_rotten

Standup Guy

johny_rotten Avatar

Career:125-71
Camp: 518 Death Squad
Chips:
A while back when Mark Hominick defeated Yves Edwards as an 6-1 underdog MMA weekly brought up the question "are MMA fights fixed?" If I recall Yves was only making 10k for his fight, but if he put that on Mark to win he would have made 60k. With the current state of "upsets" going down in MMA does anyone suspect foul play? With no real governing body, and the fact that 95% of these events happen in Vegas it is really hard to dismiss this question. MMA weekly also brought up the point that there are lines on all fights on any given UFC card. In boxing there is only usually lines on the top 1-2 fights. The theory there would be the guys in the main event are making enough money to trust they won't throw a fight. While they prelim fighters are making so little it would be very hard to overlook throwing the fight, and cashing in.

Post #1   5/2/07 4:51:49PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
If this were the case I would probably stop watching MMA.

Post #2   5/2/07 4:54:47PM   

hook_tothe_body

Standup Guy

hook_tothe_body Avatar

Career:415-290
Camp: 368
Chips:
You never know. You bring up a good point. Fighters that would make more money by throwing a fight, I can see the temptation.

But I don't think fighters throw fights. In the end, the better record you have, the better preformences you have, the more big time fights you get, the more money you make.

Post #3   5/2/07 4:56:53PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,400-1,329
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by nubby

I second that...but I'm going to choose to believe that it is untrue.

Post #4   5/2/07 5:01:31PM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
I would also stop watching, but I would say that doesnt happen.

All disciplines in MMA teach respect, honor, and tradition...all that good stuff. So I think these guys being some of the best in these disciplines would have more self-respect then to stoop that low.

I would say this doesnt happen in the UFC, Pride, or any other 'major' company

Post #5   5/2/07 5:23:11PM   

Kisame

MMA Regular

Kisame Avatar

Career:212-160
Chips:
nah I cant see anyone doing that.

First you have to work your ass off to get to that 10k and if you win you will soon be making way more than throwing a fight and risking your whole career for a few extra bucks

Keep winning and sponsors will pay you that 50k extra plus more not including ur fight salary and win bonuses.

Post #6   5/2/07 6:37:52PM   

Fanboy 1988

Standup Guy

Fanboy 1988  Avatar

Career:68-49
Chips:
I saw the payouts for UFC 70 and I was shocked how much Elvis made, according to what I read they paid him 8,000 plus an extra 30,000 for fight of the night bonus... Not saying it was fixed but they paid him a good chunck even though he lost.

Post #7   5/2/07 6:51:01PM   

Kisame

MMA Regular

Kisame Avatar

Career:212-160
Chips:

I saw the payouts for UFC 70 and I was shocked how much Elvis made, according to what I read they paid him 8,000 plus an extra 30,000 for fight of the night bonus... Not saying it was fixed but they paid him a good chunck even though he lost.

both fighters get the fight of the night bonus.

and it was fight of the night....

Unless u going werdum -arvolski aka diego vs kos II the non-attacking continues

kongo vs silva the body surfer

The only real nominee was napao vs CC but it was one way domination even more than Bisping-Elvis.

Post #8   5/2/07 7:01:32PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
I wonder if Yves thought getting fractured ribs was worth it. Those body shots were thrown with bad intentions.

Last edited 5/2/07 7:10PM server time by Stickan
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   5/2/07 7:10:21PM   

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Career:397-201
Chips:
All you people are sayin shit like "Fighters dont throw fights".... but are you forgetting about how that would happen in boxing. Its what killed boxing. Im not saying that its happening in MMA but dont be shocked if you find out otherwise. That Tim Sylvia/Couture fight was alittle fishy.

Post #10   5/2/07 7:58:35PM   

johny_rotten

Standup Guy

johny_rotten Avatar

Career:125-71
Camp: 518 Death Squad
Chips:
There are a lot of fights that are very fishy. I am not saying any of these fighters threw the fight, but take a close look at the upsets. Jens Pulver got KOed to 9-1 dog. Jens has been competing in combative sports for years, and never has been KOed by one shot. Mirko Cro Cop has been a pro kickboxer/mma fighter for what 5-8 years, and has only been KOed twice in his life both against huge underdogs. Yves Edwards has been in there with multiple Abu Dhabi champs, and never tapped, but Mark Hominick, a pro kick boxer, taps him out.

Like I said I am not saying any of these guys did this, but if you look at them you have to wonder. Throw in the fact that the majority of them get less than 10k to fight, and have to live and support their family on that money. You can teach anyone integrity all you want, but if his kid is starving a man will put food on the table. On the other end the top payed guys make what 250k a fight. How do you think that stands up to what De La Hoya is going to make in his next fight, and UFC gets more PPV buys then boxing. It is basically the formula that created the Black Sox scandal. An owner, who was very spiteful, was raking in the dough while he was paying the players fractions of what was being brought in. That doesn't sound like anyone who has made a name for him self in mma does it?

Last edited 5/2/07 8:17PM server time by johny_rotten
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   5/2/07 8:16:32PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:

Posted by nubby

I'm sorry to break it to you but theres been plenty of fixed fights and payed-off judges and it's never gonna change no matter the sport... I understand what you mean and where youre coming from, all I can say is remember what the sport is about, and remain a fan because of that alone...

Post #12   5/2/07 9:21:34PM   

Zvonimir

MMA Regular

Zvonimir Avatar

Career:279-164
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Fixed fights: See any fight with Nobuhiko Takada.

Post #13   5/2/07 9:37:33PM   

teamquestnorth

Standup Guy

teamquestnorth Avatar

Career:962-651
Camp: The Underground
Chips:
there been some fixed fights in the ufc like don frye mark hall and anthony macias vs oleg taktarov but those were ten second ankle locks. the upsets that are happening this year are full blown ko's. The fighters who arent making much, "undercard fighters" lets say make 3000 a fight. How much do you think the ufc or certain sharks would be willing to pay them to take a fall? 5 or 10 grand? I dont know about you guys but i wouldnt want to get ktfo on tv in front of 15000 people unless i was getting ATLEAST 50-100,000 dollars.

Post #14   5/2/07 11:52:10PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:

Posted by greshamfighter

there been some fixed fights in the ufc like don frye mark hall and anthony macias vs oleg taktarov but those were ten second ankle locks. the upsets that are happening this year are full blown ko's. The fighters who arent making much, "undercard fighters" lets say make 3000 a fight. How much do you think the ufc or certain sharks would be willing to pay them to take a fall? 5 or 10 grand? I dont know about you guys but i wouldnt want to get ktfo on tv in front of 15000 people unless i was getting ATLEAST 50-100,000 dollars.

I call source on Oleg/MadDog

Post #15   5/2/07 11:56:40PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3