Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Would You Rank Gilbert Melendez ahead of Frankie Edgar?

Print  
Who should be ranked as the best Lightweight?
Frankie Edgar 18 75%
Gilbert Melendez 6 25%
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

I think Melendez is a legitimate #2 and would do very well in the UFC.

I will have to disagree. According to statistics and rankings, Melendez may be held in the top 3 slots but as far as being a good fighter, I honestly believe there are many LWs in the ufc who would outclass and outwork him.

Florian would outclass him if he comes back to LW.
Maynard would outwork and out wrestle him.
Edgar would be too fast for him.
Melvin Guillard would out punch him.
Cerrone would own him in the stand up or submit him on the ground.

The list goes no...

I am not saying these guys will definitely beat Melendez but on paper, it looks promising.

Just because one fights in a less competitive organization and manages to string together a handful of wins does not and should not put him at the top of the ladder board.

I am not one of those who thinks the ufc is everything but when it comes to the light weight division, the talent pool is mostly concentrated in the ufc at the moment.

This reminds me of Overeem. Overeem could easily come to the ufc but he chooses to stay where he is because he is making great money doing K-1and MMA in smaller organizations. Why rock the boat?

Melendez, don't rock the boat. The waves may get bigger than you expected and you may drown.

Post #16   6/2/11 1:31:27PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think if you think Melendez would get Subbed by Cowboy, that you haven't watched Melendez fight, or you haven't watched Cowboy fight.

Beating Aoki, Kawajiri, Guida, Thomson is actually very good on paper. All of those are significant, dominant wins over competition that could assimilate into the ufc successfully. Except Guida, he already has.

Just because one fights in a lesser organization, it doesn't mean they are lesser talent.

Post #17   6/2/11 7:59:47PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,631-1,351
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Pookie

I think Melendez is a legitimate #2 and would do very well in the UFC.

I will have to disagree. According to statistics and rankings, Melendez may be held in the top 3 slots but as far as being a good fighter, I honestly believe there are many LWs in the ufc who would outclass and outwork him.

Florian would outclass him if he comes back to LW.
Maynard would outwork and out wrestle him.
Edgar would be too fast for him.
Melvin Guillard would out punch him.
Cerrone would own him in the stand up or submit him on the ground.

The list goes no...

I am not saying these guys will definitely beat Melendez but on paper, it looks promising.

Just because one fights in a less competitive organization and manages to string together a handful of wins does not and should not put him at the top of the ladder board.

I am not one of those who thinks the ufc is everything but when it comes to the light weight division, the talent pool is mostly concentrated in the ufc at the moment.

This reminds me of Overeem. Overeem could easily come to the ufc but he chooses to stay where he is because he is making great money doing K-1and MMA in smaller organizations. Why rock the boat?

Melendez, don't rock the boat. The waves may get bigger than you expected and you may drown.

You've never seen Melendez fight have you? I almost don't know if this was intended to be a comedic post.

Last edited 6/2/11 8:34PM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #18   6/2/11 8:18:53PM   

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:
Melendez is easily #1

Post #19   6/2/11 8:48:35PM   

Aleks_Smash

MMA Regular

Aleks_Smash Avatar

Career:694-497
Chips:

Posted by Jride

Melendez is easily #1

Gilbert will be a GOAT hopefully.

Post #20   6/3/11 10:14:47AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I sense a lot of tension in the air.

What I said may have offended some of you but I am not going to apologize for stating my honest opinion of Melendez.

Opinion based arguments will likely not be resolved and with that being said, I do hope he gets cross over fights....and if and when I am proven wrong, I will apologize for my blatant behavior and award props to my fellow playground members for trying to shed some light onto me despite my stubbornness.

And if and when I am proven correct, I am willing to pretend this never happened.

Post #21   6/3/11 3:54:29PM   

ajp10k

MMA Regular

ajp10k Avatar

Career:154-118
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
I don't know why people have Edgar as number one when he has not beaten Maynard yet ....lol. Im not saying Melendez is p4p then Edgar but I don't think its that crazy of a idea if someone said he was better then Frankie.

Post #22   6/3/11 10:51:24PM   

Coreytron

Learning to Sprawl

Career:32-23
Chips:
Gray Maynard is #1..or at least will be when he takes the rematch. Frankie is #2 for now and then its Melendez a close 3. Those are the cream of the crop..after that is a giant step down imo

Post #23   6/3/11 10:51:49PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Chips:
I think Maynard loses to alot of the LW's out there. There's a reason he split decisioned Huerta & Diaz.

He strikes more than his skill set should dictate. Granted, Good luck taking him down.

Post #24   6/3/11 11:06:39PM   

Coreytron

Learning to Sprawl

Career:32-23
Chips:
With Maynard, he's such a good wrestler and his stand up has gotten so mich better, I can't wait to see his game develop a little more. Frankie is lightning quick but he's basically a featherweight. Hasn't hurt him yet, but he is bound to get out muscled at some point. I think Gray takes the next fight

Post #25   6/4/11 12:55:44PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2