Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Would You Rank Gilbert Melendez ahead of Frankie Edgar?

Print  
Who should be ranked as the best Lightweight?
Frankie Edgar 18 75%
Gilbert Melendez 6 25%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
According to the MMAWeekly Lightweight rankings, Gilbert Melendez should be considered the best Lightweight in the world, and Frankie Edgar should be slotted as number two. What does The Playground think?

MMAWeekly Rankings

Post #1   6/1/11 5:13:39PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
I think Melendez is good but let him fight Ben Henderson as a warm up...Ben Henderson could beat everyone of the guys Melendez beat....So could Clay Guida...

Post #2   6/1/11 5:26:24PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
I still think Frankie is number and Maynard is number 2. Until that dumb fights done we won't know

Post #3   6/1/11 5:27:50PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

According to the MMAWeekly Lightweight rankings, Gilbert Melendez should be considered the best Lightweight in the world, and Frankie Edgar should be slotted as number two. What does The Playground think?

MMAWeekly Rankings

That's ridiculous, that's what I think. Melendez's biggest win is an Aoki (in shorts and in a cage) and Edgar has beaten arguably the best LW of all time twice. It's a no brainer for me. With that being said though I want to see that fight very badly.

Post #4   6/1/11 5:29:18PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
Melendez is good, but a little overrated. I think that Alvarez and any of the ufc's top 5 would handle him.

Post #5   6/1/11 5:35:13PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by FastKnockout

MMAWeekly Rankings

That's ridiculous, that's what I think. Melendez's biggest win is an Aoki (in shorts and in a cage) and Edgar has beaten arguably the best LW of all time twice. It's a no brainer for me. With that being said though I want to see that fight very badly.

Couldn't agree more.

Post #6   6/1/11 5:59:47PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Melendez is over-rated. I feel like I have been saying over-rated too many times lately.

As Budge already stated, Melendez's only high profile win was over Aoki. Edgar has beaten Penn and a whole string of top fighters as well.

Although this has nothing to do with the rankings, I have so many fighters on my list who would outclass and out-work Melendez.

Post #7   6/1/11 6:29:24PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,762-939
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
uhh Melendez isn't even better than Jimbo Miller lol

FAR FROM no 1

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #8   6/1/11 8:31:58PM   

hashyandy4

Super MW King S.O.G.

hashyandy4 Avatar

Career:614-326
Chips:
Heres my top 5

1 Frankie Edgar
2 Gray Maynard
3 Gilbert Melendez
4 Eddie Alvarez
5 Shinya Aoki

Post #9   6/1/11 9:29:26PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Hard pick
But edar beating sherk penn twice and draw with maynard gets my nod

Post #10   6/1/11 11:32:56PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Chips:
I know its not a popular opinion but personally I feel if you're not fighting in the UFC you're not worthy of the #1 ranking.

Its like someone claiming a Japanese Baseball team is the best in the world because they obliterated the Nippon League.

With the exception of possibly the Strikeforce HW division, I don't think any organization has a single division that can compare to the level of talent in the UFC.

He may well be the best LW in the world but until he proves it on the sports biggest stage he'll always be on the outside looking in.

Post #11   6/1/11 11:35:10PM   

ajp10k

MMA Regular

ajp10k Avatar

Career:154-118
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
Honestly Frankie beat a out of prime BJ Penn twice. I don't think its that crazy they put Gilbert ahead of him. Can't wait to see him fight in the ufc. Hopfully alaverez can jump in there too.

Post #12   6/1/11 11:53:59PM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,516-928
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

I think Melendez is good but let him fight Ben Henderson as a warm up...Ben Henderson could beat everyone of the guys Melendez beat....So could Clay Guida...

In a general sense, I might kinda agree that Ben Henderson could beat most of the people that Melendez beat, but I don't know that he would have done so quite as decisively, and imo, Aoki and his slick work off his back and ben henderson's somewhat reckless style of fighting on top would have given Ben fits. Aoki would probably be a nightmare for him if he decided to fight him on the ground.

Post #13   6/2/11 2:14:27AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Chips:

Posted by ajp10k

Honestly Frankie beat a out of prime BJ Penn twice. I don't think its that crazy they put Gilbert ahead of him. Can't wait to see him fight in the ufc. Hopfully alaverez can jump in there too.

Can't agree with this in the slightest. Are you kidding me? Those two fights are sandwiched between the destruction of Sanchez and a very quick knockout of Matt Hughes, who had beaten Penn the last time they fought. I hate how a lot of people love to take things away from Edgar's wins. And even if the wins are over an "Out of prime" Penn they are still more impressive than any win Melendez has secured.

Post #14   6/2/11 2:42:36AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Frankie beat BJ twice. Right now he has the most impressive resume a LW could have and his skill level matches it. He's #1.

I think Melendez is good. Really good. He beat Guida before in one-sided fashion and has developed more as a fighter than Guida since then. I think he mollywhops him in a re-match.

Maynard has the wrong style altogether to stop what melendez is good at.

Jim Miller is more reasonable, but IMO Melendez's length becomes a big issue as they both are good in essentially the same areas with marginal difference in between.

Henderson? Not in the same League.

Sanchez & Florian - I dont think they showed nearly as much Merit in their Tenures at LW either.

I think Melendez is a legitimate #2 and would do very well in the UFC.

Post #15   6/2/11 3:04:44AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2