Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 130 medical suspensions: Jackson, Mir, Stann, Santiago face six-month layoffs

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
UFC 130's list of walking wounded was lengthy, and five fighters from this past weekend's card face medical suspensions of up to six months.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today requested and received the list of suspensions from the Nevada State Athletic Commissions.

The potential half-year suspensions went to main-event winner Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, co-main-event winner Frank Mir, main-card fighters Brian Stann and Jorge Santiago, and preliminary-card competitor Michael McDonald.

Link

Post #1   5/31/11 3:58:27PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Well that sucks Jackson, Mir and Stann. God damn...

Post #2   5/31/11 4:20:27PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Chips:
I'm afraid Rampage might not have six months to spare. He wasn't very excited before the fight, and after the win he was just kind of apathetic about it. I just feel like we're watching stumble around on the last leg of his career.

The layoff won't help Mir, either. It will only hurt his cardio.

Post #3   5/31/11 4:41:12PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:
Unforunately Rampage is just about done. I think if he ends up fighting Jones and loses he'll probably call it quits. He's been one of my favourites since I started watching mma. It'd be sad to see him go.

Post #4   5/31/11 4:52:08PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I missed the event altogether but I did manage to find a few links to the fights and from what I saw, Rampage did not suffer anything worthy of a medical suspension.

Rampage probably got hurt more in practice than what he received from Hamill.

Post #5   5/31/11 4:55:38PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

I missed the event altogether but I did manage to find a few links to the fights and from what I saw, Rampage did not suffer anything worthy of a medical suspension.

Rampage probably got hurt more in practice than what he received from Hamill.

He injured his hand before the fight and still took it. Probably made the injury much worse.

Post #6   5/31/11 4:57:53PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,468-851
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
It's just a precaution, I would imagine that all of them end up fighting in 3-4 months.

Post #7   5/31/11 6:55:10PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
I wonder what the UFC would have done if Rampage said he was injured and couldnt fight....That is why we will see a merger as soon as the contracts are up...UFC needs the fighters from Bellator too....

Post #8   6/1/11 1:43:57AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
I don't think Rampage looked that bad considering the damaged hand. He had a gameplan of stuffing takedowns and winning the stand up and it worked. He will need to tap up Tony Stark for a suit rental to have a chance of beating Jones though.

Post #9   6/1/11 3:57:33AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

I wonder what the UFC would have done if Rampage said he was injured and couldnt fight....That is why we will see a merger as soon as the contracts are up...UFC needs the fighters from Bellator too....

What fighters? There are very few who could hang with UFC talent.

Post #10   6/1/11 12:08:53PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by kingsmasher

Bobby Southworth FTW!!!

Post #11   6/1/11 12:14:01PM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,323-880
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by kingsmasher

I might be wrong, but I reckon the poster is referring to the fact Bellator fighters put a fair amount more effort into their competition that a fair chunk of those currently under the UFC - there's been a lot of tame UFC events recently.

Post #12   6/1/11 2:47:51PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by kingsmasher

That doesnt matter to me at all....About hanging...I am so sure most on here werent watching the WEC before it merged and most of there fights were way more entertaining....I am not all that big on big names as I am to great fights that both guys act like its there last...Like now the best fights I been seeing really are in Bellator...Not that theyre the best but theres plenty of action and they want to fight....In the UFC too many guys are trying not to lose....My guess which is obvious is better marketing just to be in the UFC...For endorsements...

I dont know whens the last time I didnt enjoy Bellator...but I love MMA..

Post #13   6/1/11 5:35:52PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I laugh at times when people claim the reason we see exciting fights in bellator is due to the fighters willingness to fight and make it. I will give you that they can be very hungry but the truth is Bellator has a small crop of fighters on many different levels. So when you match up two mid level guys on opposite ends of that Mid level chances are the better guy is going to lamp the other dude. When people see GSP fight he is fighting the best guys in the world everytime. Its not all that shocking that he dosn't finish.

Post #14   6/3/11 9:58:47AM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,323-880
Chips:

Posted by postman

I laugh at times when people claim the reason we see exciting fights in bellator is due to the fighters willingness to fight and make it. I will give you that they can be very hungry but the truth is Bellator has a small crop of fighters on many different levels. So when you match up two mid level guys on opposite ends of that Mid level chances are the better guy is going to lamp the other dude. When people see GSP fight he is fighting the best guys in the world everytime. Its not all that shocking that he dosn't finish.

I feel quite a few of the Bellator fights are decent match-ups - there are plenty of bad match-ups happening in all organisations - so they're not alone in that respect.

Strikeforce also had a more consistent programme of events that were exciting.

There is more desire displayed in my opinion - I feel that all too often these days, when guys make it to the UFC there is always the excuse of them being nervous or cautious when poor fight(s) happen.

No one was actually mentioned GSP - until you did.

I'm not gettin on at the UFC, at the end of the day they are responsible for bringing MMA to the mainstream and fans like me - and I don't know what they have to do to change it either.

Post #15   6/3/11 12:51:20PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2