Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Will Honor Chael Sonnen’s Suspension; Won’t Let Him Fight Anywhere

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,786-990
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Chael Sonnen is in no man’s land. He’s left to try and fight the California State Athletic Commission at the apex of his career. UFC president Dana White says he “won’t let (Sonnen) fight anywhere” until the matter is resolved.

LINK

Post #1   5/30/11 8:12:56PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
So they basically ruined this man's career...

Post #2   5/30/11 9:29:04PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
I was curious to see how this would all shake out since Strikeforce had been actively commission shopping for Barnett before the buy-out. It's probably the best policy of Zuffa to not interfere with the punishment handed down by a commission. Dana's already spoken out about his feelings regarding CSAC's actions. But Zuffa already walks on egg shells when it comes to anti-trust/monopoly issues. To use their absolute power to have Chael fighting in places where Zuffa runs the sanctioning, or to shop him to a less proactive US commission could only lead to more piling-on regarding their absolute power.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle Barnett going forward should he advance in the Strikeforce HWG since his upcoming match with Grim was already booked when they were bought-out.

Last edited 5/30/11 9:31PM server time by bojangalz
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   5/30/11 9:30:23PM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Career:8-13
Chips:
and testing to have 4 times the amount of testosterone in your system then allowed (ie cheating) shouldn't ruin it???

i'm kind of sick of the poor Sonnen posts, the guy cheated plain and simple, no excuse changes that, own up to it and face ir like a man.

This is getting worse then greasegate

Post #4   5/31/11 3:07:08AM   

zxandu

MMA Regular

zxandu Avatar

Career:258-224
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
The one thing about this, is that if Sonnen wants to hit this thing to the hilt, he does have grounds for major appeal. However, by the time that his appeal is going to finally be heard, we will be able to fight.

His suspension is indef. but at some point, the CSAC will give in a time line. They just can't stop a man from earning a living. But I really don't understand why Chael isn't allowed to compete when other athletes in other sports who have done the same or worse, are allowed to complete.

This seems like the CSAC is also punishing him for the money laundering charges pending against him.

This is all suspect as best in my opinion.

Why does an athletic commission have the ability to stop a man to from earning a living?

The Texas athletic commission didn't stop Antonio Margarito from fighting? Even though the guy had casts on his gloves.

I call BS 1,000 times over.

Post #5   5/31/11 4:35:53AM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:516-343
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
This f'n sucks Sonnen made a mistake but don't we all and now he can't f'n fight it's just annoying cause Sonnen is a hell of a fighter and a hell of a personality and deserves to be out there doing what he does best.

Post #6   5/31/11 5:53:32AM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Lesnar1

This f'n sucks Sonnen made a mistake but don't we all and now he can't f'n fight it's just annoying cause Sonnen is a hell of a fighter and a hell of a personality and deserves to be out there doing what he does best.

so it sucks he gets punished for cheating??? how do you guys keep defending a cheater??

Having 4 times the limit of a substance in your body is cheating no matter how you sugar coat it, i remember when EVERYONE was all over Nick Diaz for smoking a doobie around the time he beat Gomi and everyone said he should of been banned from the sport.

Now someone comes in with a performing ENHANCING substance but because for some reason you like him it should all magically go away. Diaz had a substance that should slow him down and hurt his performance and he beats the snot out of the then best lightweight in the world and he should never fight again.

The hypocrisy of some of you guys is astounding.

Note: this does not point to any one person just at the forums in genreal.

Last edited 5/31/11 10:11AM server time by Jekyll

Post #7   5/31/11 7:27:00AM   

snakeplissken

Standup Guy

snakeplissken Avatar

Career:1,726-1,203
Camp: BAMMA UK
Chips:
I agree with Jekyll it must be said. Just because Sonnen's scripted comments raise a few laughs he's now a pariah of the sport? Give me a break.

Post #8   5/31/11 10:00:33AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Where is the outrage for Thiago Silva? Sonnen was juiced to the gills Lied about it. He then turns around and lies to the CSAC about what he told and was told by the NSAC. Lying to on govenrment agency about talks you had with another government agency is not a good idea and is going to bring you heat. Why would the UFC go behind anyones back for sonnen?

Post #9   5/31/11 10:28:45AM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

Where is the outrage for Thiago Silva? Sonnen was juiced to the gills Lied about it. He then turns around and lies to the CSAC about what he told and was told by the NSAC. Lying to on govenrment agency about talks you had with another government agency is not a good idea and is going to bring you heat. Why would the UFC go behind anyones back for sonnen?

good point where are the excuses for Thiago for using non human urine for his drug test??

i guess you only defend the people that break the rules in a certain way..

Post #10   5/31/11 10:44:40AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,556-1,465
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The guys that say he cheated and should be punished have a point, and I won't defend him by saying he shouldn't be punished. What I will say is that they should punish him the same way they punish other fighter. Give him a year, let him sit it out, then let him get back to work. My problem with the whole thing is the indefinite suspension. Yeah it's going to get a timeline at some point, but just how long are they willing to let it drag out. The CSAC sure seems to have it in for the guy, maybe because of the real estate thing, maybe because they want to just prove a point to other fighters about juicing and Sonnen has a big enough name at this point to get everyone's attention, maybe they really didn't appreciate his dishonesty and he's getting the child treatment for lying. Whatever their reason, it just seems wrong to me to not punish the guy the same as you do anyone else.

Post #11   5/31/11 10:45:48AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

The guys that say he cheated and should be punished have a point, and I won't defend him by saying he shouldn't be punished. What I will say is that they should punish him the same way they punish other fighter. Give him a year, let him sit it out, then let him get back to work. My problem with the whole thing is the indefinite suspension. Yeah it's going to get a timeline at some point, but just how long are they willing to let it drag out. The CSAC sure seems to have it in for the guy, maybe because of the real estate thing, maybe because they want to just prove a point to other fighters about juicing and Sonnen has a big enough name at this point to get everyone's attention, maybe they really didn't appreciate his dishonesty and he's getting the child treatment for lying. Whatever their reason, it just seems wrong to me to not punish the guy the same as you do anyone else.

I can apperciate your stance. The thing I would say is I feel like they are really angry about him trying to use one commission against another and none of it being true. Can you imagine the beating you would get if you told the CIA that the FBI told you it was ok to do ___________ and they found out you never even talked to the FBI not to mention if you were told by the FBI it was ok you did it on a scale 4 times larger then they ever would have allowed you to.

Post #12   5/31/11 11:55:48AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Although I petitioned Sonnen's suspension, I must agree with Dana on this one. Sonnen needs to serve his time and take the proper steps and make the proper adjustments in his intakes(hehe) and then reapply for his license.

It is a shame Sonnen's fight career has boiled down to this. I am only upset because now I know, Sonnen vs Silva II will probably not happen.

Post #13   5/31/11 12:17:44PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher
it just seems wrong to me to not punish the guy the same as you do anyone else.

Here's the bottom line. Chael did his best to deceive CSAC by informing them that NSAC said it was ok for him to use TRT. This CLEARLY wasn't the case. Like Postman said, you can't run to the FBI and say the CIA says it's ok. It doesn't work like that. Not to mention the fact that even if he was allowed to use TRT in Nevada, he still did not disclose the treatment to California, let alone get it approved. And beyond that, even if he had gotten the TRT approved he still would have FAILED the test because his T:E ratio was 16:1 which is above and beyond the already lenient levels that California allows.

Lied about NSAC. Didn't disclose treatment. And would have failed on top of it. That's three strikes right there. If they want to pile on with the Felony charges, I guess they could since it's in their bylaws, but that's neither here not there if you ask me.

I'm guessing if CSAC had another athlete come before their disciplinary board under these same auspices they would in fact be treated no differently than Chael. Fact of the matter is, they've never had to punish another athlete for such offenses.

Look, I get it. Everyone likes hearing Chael speak, and since the Silva fight everyone also magically likes watching him fight. I include myself in that mix, on both accounts. But I'm not going to let my personal desire to watch Sonnen in the cage cloud my judgement of what he's done to his career outside of the cage. I don't believe that CSAC is being vindictive or overstepping their bounds at all here. And I think that Dana and the Zuffa brass are playing this one the right way as well. Does it suck for MR. Sonnen? You bet. Does he have ANYONE, anyone to blame but himself? Absolutely not.

End of story.

*EDIT* Tried to throw some props your way postman, but I was shot down by the man.

Last edited 5/31/11 1:07PM server time by bojangalz

Post #14   5/31/11 1:06:02PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Although I petitioned Sonnen's suspension, I must agree with Dana on this one. Sonnen needs to serve his time and take the proper steps and make the proper adjustments in his intakes(hehe) and then reapply for his license.

It is a shame Sonnen's fight career has boiled down to this. I am only upset because now I know, Sonnen vs Silva II will probably not happen.

this could be an underlying factor as they may be Silva nuthuggers and dont want him to get his ass kicked again

just throwing it out there

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #15   5/31/11 2:34:01PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2