Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC 130 bonuses: Browne, Tibau, Stann and Santiago get $70K awards

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
LAS VEGAS – Travis Browne, Gleison Tibau, Brian Stann and Jorge Santiago each earned $70,000 "Fight Night" bonuses for their performances at Saturday's "UFC 130: Rampage vs. Hamill" event.

Browne earned the night's "Knockout of the Night" award, Tibau picked up the "Submission of the Night" bonus, and Stann and Santiago took home "Fight of the Night" honors.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) learned of the bonus winners and award amounts while at UFC 130's post-event press conference.

UFC 130 took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The night's main card aired on pay-per-view, two preliminary-card fights aired on Spike TV, and the night's first three bouts streamed on Facebook.

LINK

Post #1   5/29/11 9:56:23AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,449-880
Chips:
Stann and Browne definitely deserve those bonuses! Their performances were the most exciting part of the evening. I was very disappointed with UFC 130. Perhaps I was just so impressed with UFC 129 that anything afterwards would be a let down.

War Story
That was one pick I wasn't too bummed I got wrong.

Post #2   5/29/11 10:35:49AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Good to see Tibau get a finish and bonus.

Post #3   5/29/11 12:57:33PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,352-1,258
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Browne ko may be a candidate for knock out of the year
But overall 10 fights 7 decisions. I was dissapointed

Post #4   5/29/11 1:29:21PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,730-1,561
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I was reading the forum posts on mmajunkie and A LOT of people were pissed that Stann and Santiago go FOTN. A lot of them were saying Dana only gave Stann the bonus because it was memorial day weekend and they want to get the hype train behind this guy.

What do you guys think? The SOTN and KOTN are both obvious but who do you feel won FOTN?

Last edited 5/29/11 3:07PM server time by budgellism
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   5/29/11 3:06:35PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,449-880
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

I was reading the forum posts on mmajunkie and A LOT of people were pissed that Stann and Santiago go FOTN. A lot of them were saying Dana only gave Stann the bonus because it was memorial day weekend and they want to get the hype train behind this guy.

What do you guys think? The SOTN and KOTN are both obvious but who do you feel won FOTN?

Budge, I see it like this: UFC 130 sucked. Hardly any of those fights were worthy of accolades. The Stann-Santiago one sided beatdown was definitely not the normal FOTN candidate. However, there were only three finishes on the card, and they were all awarded a bonus.

If one of those seven fights that went to a decision were entertaining, then perhaps FOTN could have gone differently. I have heard a lot of clamoring for Torres-Johnson as FOTN. I disagree. That fight was entertaining, but I don't think the right person won that fight.

The judging of that fight sends the message that if you just get the takedown, you win the fight. It doesn't matter how many times you get reversed, or the fact that you can't capitalize on the position, or threaten with a submission or strikes. Just take your opponent down. It doesn't matter how many times they get back up

Post #6   5/29/11 4:12:47PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Posted by Budgellism

Budge, I see it like this: UFC 130 sucked. Hardly any of those fights were worthy of accolades. The Stann-Santiago one sided beatdown was definitely not the normal FOTN candidate. However, there were only three finishes on the card, and they were all awarded a bonus.

If one of those seven fights that went to a decision were entertaining, then perhaps FOTN could have gone differently. I have heard a lot of clamoring for Torres-Johnson as FOTN. I disagree. That fight was entertaining, but I don't think the right person won that fight.

The judging of that fight sends the message that if you just get the takedown, you win the fight. It doesn't matter how many times you get reversed, or the fact that you can't capitalize on the position, or threaten with a submission or strikes. Just take your opponent down. It doesn't matter how many times they get back up

You make a good point but I disagree with Torres winning the fight. Torres was always looking to improve his position and sweep Johnson but Johnson at the same time was always looking to pass to side control/half guard. That in my opinion causes the stalemate that we saw. The most offense move in the entire fight was Torres locking in a triangle but Johnson got out relatively quickly. Also whenever Torres reversed the position it's not like he was being active. When he reversed him to mount he literally didn't land a punch. Johnson has to get credit for ending up on top 75% percent of the time. When Torres would sweep him Johnson would just get up and take him down again and then rinse and repeat.

I'll have to watch the fight again but I don't think either guy really did enough to win. Should have been a draw I guess but I know the way judges score a fight and they're going to give it to the guy on top. Torres knows that. If he could capitalize on his sweeps he would have won the fight. But he didn't. He just ended up on his back over and over again.

Post #7   5/29/11 5:18:49PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Chips:
Am I alone in thinking Barao/Escovedo was fun to watch?

I really like this Barao kid.

Post #8   5/29/11 6:13:08PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Am I alone in thinking Barao/Escovedo was fun to watch?

I really like this Barao kid.

I haven't seen it yet but I'm a big Barao fan too. He's so talented.

Post #9   5/29/11 7:18:25PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,500-882
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Posted by Budgellism

I totally agree. Torres won that fight hands down. That is a perfect example of whats wrong with MMA judging.

Post #10   5/29/11 11:40:52PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I also agree that Torres won the fight and that the fight is exactly what is wrong with MMA judges.

It doesn't matter how aggressive you are being off of your back, all that matters to the judges is that you are on your back. Torres was elbowing Johnson in the head, heel kicking him in the back and thighs, constantly throwing up submission attempts, getting sweeps and standing back up, while Johnson was on top of him defending NON-STOP.

If the same scenario plays out on the feet, where one guy is constantly attacking and the other one is blocking and defending strikes very effectively but never getting a chance to answer with strikes of his own, we don't give the guy the round for defending very well, we give it to the aggressor, even if his offense is mostly ineffective, because you don't knock people out by blocking punches, you knock them out by throwing punches.

You shouldn't win a fight just because you're on top of the guy. I seriously saw Johnson throw like 5 punches while he was on top of Torres, and Torres landing dozens of elbows to the head while constantly throwing up submission attempts and sweeps.

That's what happens when every judge in the sport has their background solely in various forms of standup fighting. Virtually every single judge is either a boxing, muay thai, or karate judge/practitioner.

Post #11   5/30/11 10:26:08AM