Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

"The Ultimate Fighter 13" ratings again hit season low for episode No. 9

Print  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,557-943
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Despite a solid two-fight episode and some of the season's best drama, ratings for the ninth episode of "The Ultimate Fighter 13: Team Lesnar vs. Team Dos Santos" matched a season-low 1.0 million viewers.

Spike TV officials today emailed the ratings information to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Wednesday's episode scored an overall household rating of 0.9, as well as 1.0 among men 18-49 and a 0.9 among men 18-34.

Article

Post #1   5/26/11 7:23:20PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Chips:
My thoughts: Spike TV sucks. It seems to me that they are totally screwing with the UFC. Which makes absolutely no sense to me. TUF and the UFC literally made Spike. If the UFC leaves that network, I believe (and pray) that they will fail, and fast.

The UFC has been blowing up for years, and Spike seemed like they were hyped to come along for the ride. But if they are trying to skew ratings over the last year or so just to gain leverage for contract negotiations, the UFC needs to dump them. Get with a new channel, stat. I can only imagine what the numbers would be for a Fight Night on ESPN!

I love the direction that the UFC is going in as a company right now, and the quality of their product is getting better every day. Even with all the injuries plaguing UFC 130, the card that is going to be put on this weekend is still pretty much stacked, top to bottom. Zuffa needs a channel, or group of channels, that will look to grow the UFC brand.

Last edited 5/26/11 7:32PM server time by pmoney
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   5/26/11 7:32:03PM   

danr83

Learning to Sprawl

danr83 Avatar

Career:1,035-787
Camp: GTi Champions
Chips:
I thought it was the best episode of the season so far

Post #3   5/26/11 8:03:24PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I don't think it's Spike's fault. They know how far the UFC has come, and it's only going more mainstream each passing week. I doubt they would sabotage their money maker. It's just that TUF has now been going on for over ten seasons, and the current platform has become stale, and there seems to be less and less quality fighters.

Post #4   5/26/11 8:12:14PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Chips:
I definitely agree with you both. That was the best episode of the season. The fights were great. Although, I will say I got very depressed by the drama of the house. It was the only time in the history of TUF that I felt legitimately bad for anyone on the show. I will refrain from going in to detail for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

The show is incredibly stale for sure. The amount of prospects left out there for the UFC to build up on national TV is dwindling. I would be willing to wager they are going to do at least two more seasons though. I just wonder if TUF 14 will be Bantamweights and Featherweights together, or if they will split them up for two different seasons, or whether they had another weight class in mind.

I don't think that Spike TV would intentionally sabotage their cash cow though.... Well, maybe I do. They put MANswers on the air, I wouldn't put anything past those execs.... They just don't seem to be pushing any UFC content hard anymore, just their lame, "original" shows. I think Spike served Zuffa well, and vice versa, but I truly believe a move is needed to take the UFC, and Mixed Martial Arts in general, to the next level.

Post #5   5/26/11 9:26:24PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,297-1,230
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This was the type of show I was waiting for. It showcased some nice fights and a little drama mixed in. Next weeks episode should hopefully draw some bigger numbers with it being the semi's and the incident that happened at the end of the show. TUF will have to somehow spice things up in the next season or two to keep the casual fans interested.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #6   5/26/11 11:15:58PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Chips:

Posted by kopower
TUF will have to somehow spice things up in the next season or two to keep the casual fans interested.

I wonder if there are any casual fans that even watch the show anymore.... My question is this.... Roy Nelson vs. Kimbo drew three million plus viewers. Where did those other 2 million people? The only answer I can come up with is that they left. Those 2 million extra are the casual fans, and they are not watching. The hardcore fans (I definitely consider the playground constituency the hardest of core) don't even watch, judging by everything I've heard.

I don't even "watch" the show anymore. I DVR it and skip to the fight every week. I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of their ratings were people who did the same.

Post #7   5/26/11 11:35:13PM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Career:8-13
Chips:
the UFC is EVERY bit as much to blame with this season... seriously putting lesnar as a coach was a poor choice. The guy has a handful of fights, to be a coach for TUF you first need to be a fighter and Lesnar has not done enough fighting to learn anything.

The best seasons of TUF have always had good fighters on them. Look what happened every time they put a name before the fighter, Shamrock - terrible coach, Bisping - cared more about being on TV then he did about his fighters, Lesnar - Worst raiting ever.

I am not trying to bash anyone or anything just look at the facts. When you have 2 top level fighters you get a top flight show, but you also need good fighters to be fighting, and without an elimination round they seem to have MUCH worse seasons. The fighters seems to take it more seriously when they have to fight to get on the show.

I blame the UFC for it more then spike, its not Spikes fault for having a boring show, its the UFCs.

Post #8   5/26/11 11:36:22PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Yeah, prolly the best episode so far, two pretty good fights and a bonus third one at the end there

Post #9   5/26/11 11:45:15PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Posted by kopower
TUF will have to somehow spice things up in the next season or two to keep the casual fans interested.

I wonder if there are any casual fans that even watch the show anymore.... My question is this.... Roy Nelson vs. Kimbo drew three million plus viewers. Where did those other 2 million people? The only answer I can come up with is that they left. Those 2 million extra are the casual fans, and they are not watching. The hardcore fans (I definitely consider the playground constituency the hardest of core) don't even watch, judging by everything I've heard.

I don't even "watch" the show anymore. I DVR it and skip to the fight every week. I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of their ratings were people who did the same.

Thank god for DVR

Post #10   5/27/11 12:40:03AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Pretty disgusted with the end of that episode. The fights were great though. Chuck isn't a great fighter by any means but he's fun to watch. I'd love to see him sub Tony but unforunately I doubt that will happen.

Post #11   5/27/11 1:36:32AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
This season isnt that good. The UFC should get some good fighters, who have a chance of lasting one real UFC fight, never mind gaining a UFC belt. The fights and the fighters have been lacking imo.

They should have another comeback season, how about a season of MW's like Rosholt, Leites, Lutter, Cote, The Crow, Villasenor...etc

and all of the other fighters who came up short in the big leaugues.

Post #12   5/27/11 11:49:15AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
As long as Chris Cope doesnt make it to the finals or win the finale, I think I'll be okay.

Post #13   5/27/11 3:19:13PM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:575-373
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Dana's plan 4 Brock's mantits and outlandish character 2 bring in viewers seems 2 have failed it's been a good season but who knows

Post #14   5/28/11 7:49:30AM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Career:8-13
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

This season isnt that good. The UFC should get some good fighters, who have a chance of lasting one real UFC fight, never mind gaining a UFC belt. The fights and the fighters have been lacking imo.

They should have another comeback season, how about a season of MW's like Rosholt, Leites, Lutter, Cote, The Crow, Villasenor...etc

and all of the other fighters who came up short in the big leaugues.

Larenzo said after the first comeback Season they would never do it again.

To me i find it kinda odd because the "Win the comeback Tuf and get a title shot" was a semi gimmick it causes Serra to go from less then gate keeper status to world champ beating the best pound for pound fighter in the world handing his such a beating eh tapped sue to strikes. What better twist can you hope for, however Lutter failed at making weight and simply embarassed himself in the Silva fight.

I have a feeling the next season might not be any better, Miller will be finny, and i have a feeling he might be a good coach, but Bisping has proven to be a bad coach that cares only about being on TV. He can talk trash but throws temp tantrums when someone talks trash to him, and he is still the ONLY coach to fail to show up for one of his fighters fights.

Post #15   6/1/11 4:21:31AM