Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Test your knowledge

Print  
  Page 4 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by KungFuMaster

Select the most correct statement.
1. The table is flat.
2. The table is very flat.
3. The table is sort of flat
4. The table is not flat.

The table is not flat.

Correct. Flat only exists to us through imaginary mathematical concepts such as a plane.

Post #46   5/26/11 8:18:42PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:
Come on, folks, it does not hurt to try. You may be surprised how some of these questions can be answered by simply using logic and common sense.

Good luck...

Post #47   5/27/11 12:38:05AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

The self aware example was a poor example.

Anyway, there is no absolute proof when it comes to questioning our existence and the existence of things around us.

However, if you choose to entertain the thought of absolutism, then many things will not be true. Peter Unger was known for introducing absolutism in knowledge. He proposed every knowledge needs to be absolute in order for it to be true. If something is only 99.9 percent accurate, then it is false and should not be deemed a knowledge.

However, we are only humans and we are not perfect. There will be and has been flaws in our thinking, but as we continue to advance, we will come closer and closer to the truth. Unger sees knowledge as a destination, whereas many philosophers see it as a journey in which the fight to learn all truths will never end.

We live in a society where mistakes will be and has been made but we are continuously trying to better ourselves and our learnings. We accept that which works for us such as the Newtonian Laws even-though Einstein has already proven Newton's equations to be inaccurate by a small margin. We continue to use Newton's Laws to this day because its margin of errors are so minute it makes so very little difference in the final product and or result.

IMO, Descartes' Dubito Ergo Sum - I doubt, therefore I am is the closest thing to proof of our existence.

The original question was prove your existence. Just because Descartes' has came the closest to solving an unanswerable question, IYO, it doesnt mean its the "correct" answer.

the correct answer is that there isnt a correct answer.

Post #48   5/27/11 12:59:02AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Pookie

The original question was prove your existence. Just because Descartes' has came the closest to solving an unanswerable question, IYO, it doesnt mean its the "correct" answer.

the correct answer is that there isnt a correct answer.

Actually, there is a rather lengthy answer in which Descartes explains how we can accept our existence.

Let us assume we are not real and we are only a figment of someone or something's imagination. Day in and day out, we see the same boulder sitting by the same tree. We see the same surroundings each and every day.

Descartes goes on to say if we are indeed controlled by a demon's thought (he calls this being a demon) then if this demon ever has a change in mood, our reality would be affected by it.

So if the demon feels sad, mad, happy, or whatever it is it is feeling, the reality in which we know will change accordingly. However, that is not the case. We continue to see and experience the same surroundings from day to day - from month to month and from year to year.

Say you are the demon and I am your imagination. My reality would constantly change. My surroundings would constantly change. I could be burning in the blazing desert one moment and the next, I could be freezing in the arctics. But since my surroundings do not change sporadically as they tend to remain fixed, I know there is constant and stability in my reality.

Explaining Descartes' philosophies is rather exhausting. To end this, I will simply tell you this. There are too many philosophers with too many philosophies and ideas which have made philosophy, as a whole, a complete mess.

No offense to you or any other philosophers, but this notion whether we exist or not is bordering on pettiness. You and I know we exist because we feel it. There is consistency in our reality. These philosophers who came along thought they can bring something new to the table which they did by questioning our reality, but in the end, they will have only undermined the work of prior philosophers.

It is good we challenge ideas and philosophies to better the community as depicted by the trials of Confucius and Socrates, but when we aim for ideas such as non-existence, that is when philosophy gets bizarre and loses much respect in the academic community.

I have studied music for many years. There was a revolution of new ideas for music which started sprouting in the 1940's and 50's. A man by the name of John Cage became famous for writing a piece entitled 4'33" (4 minutes and 33 seconds) in which no notes were played. Let me ask you. Is this genius or is this bizarre while bordering on stupid? The composer actually performed this piece in front of a live audience during a concert.

This is the kind of bologna I do not appreciate.

I hope you understand what I am getting at.

Last edited 5/27/11 2:26AM server time by KungFuMaster
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #49   5/27/11 2:25:33AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:
Well i mean... how would we know that we would be aware of the changes. Something like Dark City could be happening for all we know, where they erase our memories and fill it in with new information every midnight. We wouldn't know that was happening if it was.

Yeah though i know what you're saying, i just personally feel as though Descartes doesnt assess the variables that could prove him wrong all the while claiming that he found the answer.

Humbug, exhausting. Philosophy. I like eastern philosophies. It never claims to be right, which fits into my personal philosophy that the man who understands that he knows nothing, knows more than most.

*bow* *hug*

Post #50   5/27/11 3:01:33AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:
I like eastern philosophy too. I am an inspiring Dalai Lama.

BTW, I am of Asian decent.

Post #51   5/27/11 3:06:46AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Native American here.

Together we form a being that cares alot about the environment.

The Tao Te Ching is my ****.

Post #52   5/27/11 3:09:28AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by KungFuMaster

Native American here.

Together we form a being that cares alot about the environment.

The Tao Te Ching is my ****.

Nice to meet you, brother. We are also good hunters.

Post #53   5/27/11 3:11:42AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:
Good night, Pookie.

Post #54   5/27/11 3:13:31AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:
Are there not anyone who wishes to try to answer these questions?

I always reward for effort.

Post #55   5/27/11 12:15:58PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,205-723
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Why do you see cracks on boulders? Please explain how they are cracked?

Numerous reasons

The most common is freeze thaw weathering. When a rock has a small amount of water in it and the winter months come. The water freezes and expands by 12%.
Should this continue over periods of years and seasons the water expansion causes the boulder or rock to chip or crack.

There are thousands of types of weathering
My favourite been onion skin weathering, whereby heat of the sun causes the rock to expand and dilate untill the outer shell breaks off.
I wrote a 2 page essay in an exam on weathering and erosion on rocks... How much do I have to write for a prop

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #56   5/27/11 3:09:06PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Posted by KungFuMaster

Why do you see cracks on boulders? Please explain how they are cracked?

Numerous reasons

The most common is freeze thaw weathering. When a rock has a small amount of water in it and the winter months come. The water freezes and expands by 12%.
Should this continue over periods of years and seasons the water expansion causes the boulder or rock to chip or crack.

There are thousands of types of weathering
My favourite been onion skin weathering, whereby heat of the sun causes the rock to expand and dilate untill the outer shell breaks off.
I wrote a 2 page essay in an exam on weathering and erosion on rocks... How much do I have to write for a prop

Excellent. Exactly what I was looking for...

Post #57   5/27/11 3:44:56PM   

The_Metal_Maniac

You Can't Andle My Riddum!

The_Metal_Maniac Avatar

Career:1,961-1,046
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

Posted by KungFuMaster

How does light travel and how far does it travel? Basically, tell me everything you know about light.

Light has properties of both a particle and a wave. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

The Big Bang itself expanded much faster than the speed of light. But this only means that "nothing can go faster than light." Since nothing is just empty space or vacuum, it can expand faster than light speed since no material object is breaking the light barrier. Therefore, empty space can certainly expand faster than light.

Post #58   6/6/11 12:10:41PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by The_Metal_Maniac

Posted by scoozna

Posted by KungFuMaster

How does light travel and how far does it travel? Basically, tell me everything you know about light.

Light has properties of both a particle and a wave. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

The Big Bang itself expanded much faster than the speed of light. But this only means that "nothing can go faster than light." Since nothing is just empty space or vacuum, it can expand faster than light speed since no material object is breaking the light barrier. Therefore, empty space can certainly expand faster than light.

Not quite the answer I was looking for but I will prop you for trying.

Light does not travel forever, it will eventually dissipate. Furthermore, light will bend under extreme gravitational pull as theorized by Einstein and proven by other scientists.

And you are correct - light is not the fastest moving thing. I do not remember what is faster but a professor has confirmed it with me.

Post #59   6/8/11 9:39:40PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,597-974
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster
light is not the fastest moving thing. I do not remember what is faster but a professor has confirmed it with me.

I would be very intrigued to hear what moves faster than light. I have been reading the thread, and a lot of philosophy and physics coming up.

I hate philosophy in the sense that a book on philosophy (in my opinion) is one person explaining how they think the world works. What they think someone's moral motivation for an action is. What they think life is about. I gave up on it years ago. Any person, any philosopher can write whatever they want about life, but in my opinion, their opinions are only valid to themselves.

All philosophy is, in my opinion, is speculation on life. Relativity teaches us that everyone experiences life and events in a different way. You may think life works a certain way, I may think life works differently. We may differ in opinion, but that does not negate either points of view. We are both right and entitled to our perception.

Physics I find fairly interesting. I kind of gave up on it too, though. It's interesting if you want to calculate a satellite's position in orbit with the earth. That we can use physics for. So much other stuff is speculating.

My two favorite books, perhaps ranging all subjects and time, are "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. It came out at least a dozen years ago, and was about string theory. The first chapters explained modern day physics, and really changed my view of life in all aspects, as it explained how life works, as we mathematically understand it.

My second favorite is "The Tao of Physics", by Fritjof Capra. It compares quantum physics and eastern mysticism: Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. I can't even go in to it, but that was another life changer for me. The amount of parallels is mind boggling. The amount of things described by eastern thought that is verified by quantum physics is fascinating.

I love the eastern thought as well, because it emphasizes (as I believe Pookie touched on) not knowing. "He who knows doesn't speak, He who speaks doesn't know", etc. Sure, it's good to have practical knowledge and not be a slackjawed, illiterate yokel, but we can only understand so much to this life.

Post #60   6/10/11 12:50:48PM   

Page 4 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6