Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jon Jones Expects to Fight Lyoto Machida or Rampage Jackson, Not Rashad Evans

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,937-1,077
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
If you're like me, you expected Rashad Evans to receive the first crack against Jon Jones should he defeat Jones' injury-replacement Phil Davis. It's a grudge fight. It's a money fight. It makes sense. Now, strange news from Jones during an interview with 1260 The Score in Syracuse (transcript by Sports Radio Interviews):

I had to postpone my first title defense against Rashad Evans due to some torn tissues in my thumb. My last doctor's appointment they told me I should be able to get back to full out training within the next month. I'm excited about that. I'm expected to compete against Lyoto Machida or Rampage Jackson in maybe October, mid-October.

LINK

Post #1   5/25/11 12:39:11AM   

hashyandy4

Super MW King S.O.G.

hashyandy4 Avatar

Career:614-326
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

If you're like me, you expected Rashad Evans to receive the first crack against Jon Jones should he defeat Jones' injury-replacement Phil Davis. It's a grudge fight. It's a money fight. It makes sense. Now, strange news from Jones during an interview with 1260 The Score in Syracuse (transcript by Sports Radio Interviews):

I had to postpone my first title defense against Rashad Evans due to some torn tissues in my thumb. My last doctor's appointment they told me I should be able to get back to full out training within the next month. I'm excited about that. I'm expected to compete against Lyoto Machida or Rampage Jackson in maybe October, mid-October.

LINK

I agree that rashad should get the first crack at jonny bones. But that being said i would luv 2 c bones fight all those guys

Post #2   5/25/11 12:43:42AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
It would be unfair if Evans never gets to face Bones for the title and it would be a travesty if Machida and Bones never fought.

Evans deserves the title shot.

Machida may have the style to frustrate and outscore against bones.

Post #3   5/25/11 1:24:17AM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
Seriously though how would getting a win over Couture, get you a title shot? Machida was coming off of 2 losses, I don't care what anyone scored the dang fight with Rampage while you were sitting at home, Plain and simple he got the L.

Rampage would be more deserving then Machida, if he can get past Hamill, but if Page's head isn't in it, he wont get past Hamill. Hell if Hamill was to beat Page he would be more deserving of a shot then Machida.

When it comes to the title I'm not into the whole "what a fighter has done in the past" I'm in the category of "What has a fighter done for me lately to earn that shot" category. So Machida getting a shot on his past merits is crap to me. The top two deserving fighters are set to face each other now Rashad Evans and Phil Davis. This is a good thing and a bad thing, First it's great to actualy have the top 2 fighters, fighting a #1 contendership fight, it's how it should be, but secondly that is rarely done in the UFC and now it puts you back to guys only having to string two wins together to be in the title talk.

They should pull Evans from the Davis fight and have him Fight Jones (i like Evans having the fight with Davis to shake off the ring rust and yes I think Evans will beat Davis soundly) He is the most deserving (for what that is worth in the UFC) Then they should have Davis fight Machida (seeing on how they are into letting him leap frog back into the picture.) Then the winners fight.

Post #4   5/25/11 3:10:57AM   

Bythar

MMA Regular

Bythar Avatar

Career:1,824-954
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by supatolacyl

Seriously though how would getting a win over Couture, get you a title shot? Machida was coming off of 2 losses, I don't care what anyone scored the dang fight with Rampage while you were sitting at home, Plain and simple he got the L.

Plain and simple Jon Jones got the L against Matt Hamill - does that tell the whole story?

Post #5   5/25/11 6:29:38AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,090-1,176
Chips:
I can tell you one thing for sure is he wont be fighting rampage

Post #6   5/25/11 8:44:50AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by Bythar

Posted by supatolacyl

Plain and simple Jon Jones got the L against Matt Hamill - does that tell the whole story?

A dq and a decision that some people thought was questionable is a totally different ball game

Post #7   5/25/11 9:36:24AM   

thepitbull00

MMA Regular

thepitbull00 Avatar

Career:2,426-1,699
Camp: country KO
Chips:

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by Bythar

Posted by supatolacyl

A dq and a decision that some people thought was questionable is a totally different ball game

They're different but at the end of the day a loss is a loss regardless of the method.

Post #8   5/25/11 10:47:58AM   

Jiu_Boxu

Learning to Sprawl

Jiu_Boxu Avatar

Career:202-144
Camp: Lux MMA
Chips:
However the circus plays out, Machida is the one to beat Jones... as & when it happens.

Post #9   5/25/11 11:32:49AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jiu_Boxu

However the circus plays out, Machida is the one to beat Jones... as & when it happens.

Disagree. Jones' reach advantage (10+ inches) will negate (IMO) any kind of counter attack that Machida has to offer. I personally believe it would be just as lopsided as Jones' victory over Shogun. That being said...I'd love to be proven wrong as I'm not a fan of Jones at all.

Last edited 5/25/11 11:53AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #10   5/25/11 11:53:04AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by Jiu_Boxu

I do not know if Machida will beat Jones but he does have the style which may frustrate Jones.

Machida fights from the outside and with his stance he has an added reach to counter Jones long tentacles. Furthermore, Machida has an excellent take down defense which will be vital to this fight against Jones if and when it takes place.

But you are correct in thinking Machida is the best prospect to dethrone Jones. If only you had put in more finesse into your post, I would have given you a prop.

Post #11   5/25/11 11:58:10AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
If Machidas next so be it. coming off a loss to a top 5, that was very close, shouldnt hold him back, and ko'ing Randy was nice to,

Rampage lost to Rashad, so Rashad should get it, butit doenst matter, I just wanna see JJ fight any of those 3, evans, lyoto or Rampage, they all seserve it more than Phil Davis bader or Forrest.

Post #12   5/25/11 1:17:27PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
I'm starting to think that Jones is doing this to Evans on purpose. He has timed the pull out and pull back in perfectly to make sure Evans has a fight in between and does not get his title shot due to Jones having to defend his title to soon after Jones v Davies. I am not saying that Jones is ducking Evans, just that he is making sure Evans does not get his shot for a while.

Then again, I may just be reading to much into this.

Post #13   5/25/11 1:33:22PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by supatolacyl

Machida > Rashad > Rampage > Machida > Etc...

Out of the whole chain, Machida had the most emphatic victory, and Machida also had the closest Loss.

Logically speaking, Rashad is only in the head of the pack because he had his victory most recently, but all of them are 1-1 against each other.

Add into the mix the fact that Rashad hurt the company with his choice to stay out and wait for Shogun, and you have Karma biting Rashad in the ass.

So.. in my opinion its not the couture win that gets machida the title shot, its his performances against Rashad and Rampage that put him over the edge, because relatively speaking... he did better than either of them in their fights against the other 2.

Post #14   5/25/11 2:35:04PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Bythar

Posted by supatolacyl

I couldn't have said it better myself Bythar.

People complain sometimes that the UFC's title shot/ranking system is too informal. In this case its actually a good thing. This wouldn't be the first time an L was overlooked because the L didn't tell the whole story. Jones-Hamill is just one of many examples of that.

Machida deserves the shot because he was undefeated before losing the title. After losing it he won a fight against Rampage (but was robbed of the W he deserved) and then knocked out a legend who was still fighting competitively in the sport.

So your comment "Plain and simple he got the L." Might work in boxing, but not in the UFC. When a guy didn't deserve and L but go it anyway, we can overlook it and treat it like the W it should have been.

Post #15   5/25/11 3:03:25PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2