Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

BAMMA 6: Frank Trigg Returns To 185, Says Welterweight Was A Big Mistake

Print  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,557-943
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Frank Trigg heads into his BAMMA 6 match-up with John Phillips looking to answer a question: Can he still compete at middleweight?

“I think one of the biggest mistakes that I made was trying to convince myself that I can still be viable at 170,” Trigg told MMAWeekly.com. “It wasn’t the fact that I didn’t have the athletic ability or the talent to be viable at 170. What had happened was that I am inefficient at 170. I’m too big now to make the weight class.”

Article

Post #1   5/22/11 3:29:20PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,173-700
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Frank Trigg should stay with BAMMA, i was telling my mate when I was there. He took out the white tyson with ease. In British MMA his wrestling is a force for any new guy or up and coming contender.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #2   5/22/11 5:47:11PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Frank Trigg should stay with BAMMA, i was telling my mate when I was there. He took out the white tyson with ease. In British MMA his wrestling is a force for any new guy or up and coming contender.

I honestly thought he was going to get ktfo in his last fight. Very good win though. He could do very well in Bamma and retire there succesfully. I don't ever want to see him back in the ufc though. Waste of a spot on the roster to be honest (not trying to fighter bash, he's just not had a good ufc career and doesn't belong there).

Post #3   5/22/11 9:27:20PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I thought Trigg was a good welter weight. Despite his failure to capture the ufc welter weight title, he was at the top tier at one point in time. It was his inability to capture the title which probably hindered his self esteem and training altogether, otherwise he would still be relevant in the ufc.

But anyway, 185 is a good weight class for him. Trigg was one of the biggest fighters as a welter weight.

BAMMA should be a good place for him.

Post #4   5/23/11 2:10:05AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

I honestly thought he was going to get ktfo in his last fight. Very good win though. He could do very well in Bamma and retire there succesfully. I don't ever want to see him back in the ufc though. Waste of a spot on the roster to be honest (not trying to fighter bash, he's just not had a good ufc career and doesn't belong there).

Trigg was at the top of the welter weight at one point in time. Twice, he almost captured the welter weight title from Hughes which speaks volume. You have to admit, Hughes got lucky - twice in a row.

Now, I personally do not like the guy and his attitude but he was very relevant in the ufc. It was his shortcomings which probably hindered his confidence and training altogether. Had things gone his way, Trigg may have remained in the top 5 slots of the welter weight division.

Post #5   5/23/11 2:18:26AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Budgellism

Trigg was at the top of the welter weight at one point in time. Twice, he almost captured the welter weight title from Hughes which speaks volume. You have to admit, Hughes got lucky - twice in a row.

Now, I personally do not like the guy and his attitude but he was very relevant in the ufc. It was his shortcomings which probably hindered his confidence and training altogether. Had things gone his way, Trigg may have remained in the top 5 slots of the welter weight division.

I disagree with that. How on earth did Hughes get lucky? If anything he was unlucky. He got kneed in the balls and came back and choked him and then in the first fight he caught him with a standing rear naked choke. Both in the 1st round. Luck had nothing to do with that. Hughes is and was a much better fighter than Trigg.

Also his ufc record is 2-5. All 5 losses were in the first round. And his two wins were over Dennis Hallman and Renato Verissimo. Seems to me like he was a tad bit overrated at that time.

Post #6   5/23/11 6:33:31AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

I disagree with that. How on earth did Hughes get lucky? If anything he was unlucky. He got kneed in the balls and came back and choked him and then in the first fight he caught him with a standing rear naked choke. Both in the 1st round. Luck had nothing to do with that. Hughes is and was a much better fighter than Trigg.

Also his ufc record is 2-5. All 5 losses were in the first round. And his two wins were over Dennis Hallman and Renato Verissimo. Seems to me like he was a tad bit overrated at that time.

Yes, I agree Hughes was the better wrestler and fighter.

As far as Trigg being over-rated, I do not know if that was the case. I do know he was not a likable character and fighter. When he was in the ufc, Hughes and GSP overshadowed him and furthermore, his character and personality did not help his case.

Like I said, I do not like the guy but he did came close to capturing the ufc welter weight title. Trigg's two fights with Hughes proved Hughes has a heart of a champion and it also proved Trigg was capable of defeating Hughes as well at the time.

Last edited 5/23/11 12:16PM server time by KungFuMaster
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   5/23/11 12:02:45PM   

crazedfan

MMA Regular

crazedfan Avatar

Career:2,641-1,455
Camp: BE Civil War
Chips:
I'm glad he's back at Middleweight and fighting again. He was doing amazing before going back to UFC. He was 6-1 at 185 after his first run with UFC, beating guys like Mayhem, Kazuo Misaki and Falaniko Vitale and losing only to Robbie Lawler.

Post #8   5/23/11 12:11:43PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
Trigg may be a decent fighter, but hes a pure dick in person. me and my buddies went to a sportsbar in Toronto where Dan Henderson was and Trigg was there too but didnt get near the attention Hendo did. so me and my buddies went over and tried talking to him, but he just gave us like 2 word answers essentially saying "yeah yeah heres my autograph now gtfo of my face."

i hope he gets KTFO in his next fight

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #9   5/23/11 1:46:16PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,468-851
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I think of Trigg like Tito, he just never evolved like everybody else.

Post #10   5/23/11 9:30:25PM