Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Ben Askren on Entering The UFC: 'It's Just A Matter of Time'

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Bellator welterweight champion Ben Askren has spent more than half of his young MMA career in the Bellator organization. With five wins in 13 months that includes a tournament win along with a title win and defense, Askren hasn't taken long to ascend into the mix among the elite prospects in the 170 pound division. Ben understands the climate of MMA right now though. Zuffa is king, and all roads to the top lead through their doors. When asked on MMAWeekly radio about a possible move to the UFC one day, Askren was very frank with his response:

LINK

Post #1   5/22/11 12:50:13AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
He is a good prospect. I refuse to jump on the hype train just yet.

I am sure he will fair well with the majority but against the very top competitions, I have my doubts.

Regarding the ufc, I definitely believe he will have an offer very soon.

Post #2   5/22/11 4:00:27AM   

tattflash

In Full Mount

tattflash Avatar

Career:2,435-1,753
Chips:
Does he really offer anything different to the likes of GSP, Jake Shield, Josh Koscheck, John Fitch ? in an already stacked lay and pray division,Its not something im excited about in all honesty.

Post #3   5/22/11 7:49:34AM   

hashyandy4

Super MW King S.O.G.

hashyandy4 Avatar

Career:614-326
Chips:
i think askren could do very well in the UFC. It just seems no one is that excited because he's tagged as a "Boring" fighter. i personally dont really care 4 funky ben but i do respect his skill set. Every welterweight in the ufc is gonna have 2 watch 4 another dominate wrestler.

Post #4   5/22/11 1:52:35PM   

CoachRDS

Learning to Sprawl

CoachRDS Avatar

Career:20-9
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
Askren is the real deal. His wrestling and jiu jitsu are top notch, and his striking should get better after some time training with Duke Roufus. I personally can't wait to see him fight for the UFC.

Post #5   5/22/11 3:05:51PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,448-894
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
I too believe his striking should improve quite a bit since he is training with Duke Roufus, and unlike a lot of people, I actually find him fun to watch. I believe he offers more than just lay and pray decisions. He is very active on top, constantly passing guard and transitioning seamlessly from position to position and peppering them with hammer fists and what not, then moving again. I believe that what he needs to do is go through strikeforce or something like that before going directly to the UFC. Strikeforce offers up better WW competition that way he can steadily progress and adjust to facing better and better competition for a year or so, then go into the UFC. I don't want to see him take the chance of being thrown to the wolves too quickly. As an Askren fan, I'd like to see him raised up properly to allow him to reach his full potential, which I believe could very well be becoming a future UFC WW champ. I just think he needs more time to develop his game, specifically striking, and get a little more cage experience against tougher competition, then he'll be ready to take his spot amongst the best of the best that the UFC has to offer.

Post #6   5/22/11 9:06:41PM   

TheCooler212

Learning to Sprawl

Career:46-30
Chips:
Askren far from being ready to fight in the ufc. He has no wins over top level aponents. In my oppinion the best fighter he has fought is Dan Hornbuckle and alls he could is lay on top of him. No matter how many fights he wins that way he will never see a ufc fight.

Post #7   5/22/11 10:47:36PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by TheCooler212

Askren far from being ready to fight in the ufc. He has no wins over top level aponents. In my oppinion the best fighter he has fought is Dan Hornbuckle and alls he could is lay on top of him. No matter how many fights he wins that way he will never see a ufc fight.

Well he wouldn't challenge for any titles right away, we are just talking about a discussion for entrance into the organization, which doesn't require high level opponents to gain admission.

Post #8   5/28/11 8:48:40AM