Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Hector Lombard: I'll Go Up to 205 to Rematch Gegard Mousasi

Print  
Who takes it?
Hector Lombard 2 22%
Gegard Mousasi 7 78%
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:2,006-1,108
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Anyone who watches Bellator knows that their middleweight champion Hector Lombard is a bad, bad man. He's 7-0 in Bellator with 6 finishes, 4 by clean knockout. One took a grand total of six seconds. Another took 36. His most recent highlight reel win was five days ago when he put Falaniko Vitale out cold early in the third round of their matchup. Lombard spoke with Dave Herbert at Buddhasport yesterday, and it seems like he wants to fight everyone.

LINK

Post #1   5/19/11 10:22:44PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Actually it would seem like Lombard would be the LHW and Mousasi looking like a MW. I mean Mousasi looks pretty small for LHW.

Post #2   5/20/11 2:22:31AM   

40ouncetpkid

MMA Sensei

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
I like the idea but I'd much rather have Lombard fight Jacare if he's going to be fighting somebody from strikeforce. At least see who's the best middleweight outside the UFC. That'd be a great fight.

Gegard just doesn't have the killer instinct to be a really great fighter. He'll always be good because he's talented in every area, but he just doesn't pull the trigger enough to make him great. He should have iced Jardine in 1 round IMO.

Post #3   5/20/11 4:07:29AM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,587-973
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by 40ouncetpkid

I like the idea but I'd much rather have Lombard fight Jacare if he's going to be fighting somebody from strikeforce. At least see who's the best middleweight outside the UFC. That'd be a great fight.

Gegard just doesn't have the killer instinct to be a really great fighter. He'll always be good because he's talented in every area, but he just doesn't pull the trigger enough to make him great. He should have iced Jardine in 1 round IMO.

I agree. Gegard is a great fighter, but he should have destroyed Jardine in the first by KO. We've seen lesser strikers KO jardine before. Look at Alexander, sure he has tons of power, but his striking isn't in the same galaxy as Mousasi's when it comes to pure technical striking. Plus, Jardine's got a chin that is probably just a notch above arlovski's. He's been knocked out cold, how many times? What is it, like six or seven times? The fact that Mousasi didn't KO him shows that his killer instinct probably isn't where it used to be. Plus the fact that he stated that he doesn't intend to train wrestling or anything, if I recall my interviews/article's correctly, shows that he probably isn't 100% dedicated to fighting and being the best. That's not to say Jardine is a terrible fighter, I'm just saying that imo, if Jardine had the ability to take a punch, he would still be in the UFC right now, and possibly a top contender.

Jacare on the other hand, is a beast of a man with BJJ, and in my opinion, possibly a future UFC title holder once silva is gone. He is improving his striking constantly, and trains with the best striker in MMA, which always helps, and his BJJ is leaps and bounds above every other middleweight except Maia, imo. That's not to say that his BJJ isn't as good or that their BJJ is on the same level, because I believe Maia's is still a notch below Jacare's, but it would be competitive. Plus Jacare would be a great test for Lombard, who hasn't been tested by a high caliber fighter in ages, because he is incredibly explosive and because of this he is talented in the one area that many BJJ guys are lacking, and that is taking people down so that the fight ends up in his realm. If Lombard can stop Jacare, then he belongs in the UFC right now and would be the undisputed number 1 middleweight not already in the UFC in my opinion.

What does beating Mousasi accomplish for you when Mousasi is coming off a draw with Jardine? Probably just a pat on the back if you ask me. What does beating Jacare get you? A pat on the back and the president of the biggest MMA promotion in the world keeping a close eye on him and his contract with Bellator, wringing his hands and salivating at the mouth just waiting for the day he can snatch you up.

I believe that Lombard could have quite a bit of success in the UFC mw division, he hits like a tank and is pretty well rounded, and a threat to most fighters not named Anderson Silva. It's better for his legacy to try and fight and beat the consensus No. 1 guy at MW outside of the UFC than to try and beat a guy who is probably the No. 4 or 5 guy at LHW outside the UFC, if not lower than that.

All that aside though, I would still get excited about this match up if it were to happen, and I would love to see it. Regardless of my thoughts on how to cement his legacy, fighting Mousasi again is still showcasing his talents against a higher caliber fighter than the guys he has been fighting, and still makes him look good on his fight resume.

Last edited 5/20/11 7:51PM server time by ufc_Fanatic
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   5/20/11 7:47:46PM