Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Rampage Jackson Says Matt Hamill 'Lit a Fire' Under Him for UFC 130 Fight

Print  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 38-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,656-1,459
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
If you take Quinton "Rampage" Jackson at his word, time is running short on his mixed martial arts career. The former UFC light-heavyweight champion reasserted on Thursday that he plans to call it quits at age 35, and he turns 33 next month. Until then, he still has a few big fights ahead of him. Up until recently, however, he didn't view UFC 130's main event bout with Matt Hamill as one of them.

Link

Post #1   5/19/11 6:21:37PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Seems like Rampage keeps saying different things at this point.

Post #2   5/19/11 6:26:13PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

For sure. Makes me wonder where he's at mentally. Hamill might pull it off if Rampage doesn't keep his head in the game.

Post #3   5/19/11 6:29:15PM   

hashyandy4

Super MW King S.O.G.

hashyandy4 Avatar

Career:604-324
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

For sure. Makes me wonder where he's at mentally. Hamill might pull it off if Rampage doesn't keep his head in the game.

Im getting more and more worried about pickin Page in this fight

Post #4   5/19/11 7:07:11PM   

baylee

Learning to Sprawl

Career:901-599
Camp: Team B
Chips:
I am not sure which Rampage is going to show up, Rampage the actor or Rampage the fighter.

Post #5   5/19/11 8:38:33PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by baylee

I am not sure which Rampage is going to show up, Rampage the actor or Rampage the fighter.

Rampage the "actor" still almost beat Rashad on a huge layoff.

You guys are looking into this too much. Pookie said it best the other day when he was mentioning the mental game of fighting. Why not tell the public you arnt intertested anymore so they dont take you seriously. Besides he signed a 5 or 7 fight contract last year, that doesnt sound like a fighter who is uninterested. I've heard the argument that he only fights now because its all he's good at but if you guys honestly dont think he's taking Hamill seriously then by all means pick Hamill. I like Hamill but this whole "disinterested card" just sounds like a promotion tool to help sell a fight that seems one sided.

Post #6   5/19/11 8:51:29PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Chips:

Posted by Cooler

Posted by baylee

You guys are looking into this too much. Pookie said it best the other day when he was mentioning the mental game of fighting. Why not tell the public you arnt intertested anymore so they dont take you seriously. Besides he signed a 5 or 7 fight contract last year, that doesnt sound like a fighter who is uninterested. I've heard the argument that he only fights now because its all he's good at but if you guys honestly dont think he's taking Hamill seriously then by all means pick Hamill. I like Hamill but this whole "disinterested card" just sounds like a promotion tool to help sell a fight that seems one sided.

When Rampage almost beat Evans, he landed a flurry that almost put Evans out, but aside from those few moments where he was going off on Evans, he was losing the fight. I'm not saying Rampage won't win, because I personally think he will, but if he takes Hamill likely then he lowers his chances. Remember his fight with Forrest Griffin? Rampage took Griffin lightly, and showed it in all of his interviews. He didn't train for the fight like he should have, and he didn't fight like he should have, all because he wasn't prepared. If he isn't well prepared for Hamill, he could end up on his back starring at a decision loss.

What was it Tim Sylvia once said? Something like "90% of the fight game is half mental."

Post #7   5/19/11 9:08:05PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Cooler

Posted by baylee

When Rampage almost beat Evans, he landed a flurry that almost put Evans out, but aside from those few moments where he was going off on Evans, he was losing the fight. I'm not saying Rampage won't win, because I personally think he will, but if he takes Hamill likely then he lowers his chances. Remember his fight with Forrest Griffin? Rampage took Griffin lightly, and showed it in all of his interviews. He didn't train for the fight like he should have, and he didn't fight like he should have, all because he wasn't prepared. If he isn't well prepared for Hamill, he could end up on his back starring at a decision loss.

What was it Tim Sylvia once said? Something like "90% of the fight game is half mental."

I seriously doubt that had anything to do with it, if you look at this losses in the UFC they are after huge layoffs that resulted from TUF. The ring rust more than anything effected him imho. But we'll see come fight night.

Post #8   5/19/11 9:38:05PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Cooler

I seriously doubt that had anything to do with it, if you look at this losses in the UFC they are after huge layoffs that resulted from TUF. The ring rust more than anything effected him imho. But we'll see come fight night.

I would say that both are probably a factor. When he has those long layoffs, he packs on a bunch of weight by playing video games instead of training.

Post #9   5/19/11 9:45:27PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
It would help me if I knew what Hamill was going to do, b/c he has growing confidence in his stand up and tends to stand and trade when he is a strong wrestler.

Post #10   5/19/11 10:36:09PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,200-1,190
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I really don't see how Hamill is going to win this fight. Page has some nice td defense and Hamill has been willing to stand and trade with people. Not a good idea with the skill set Quinton brings. Rampage would really have to be out of shape and not serious about fighting to lose this fight. The layoff does concern me a bit, but only enough to maybe take Jackson via decision, rather than ko.

Personally, the only way I see Hamill winning is by clinching and grappling with Page, wearing him down, and maybe getting a takedown towards the end of the rounds to steal a decision.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #11   5/19/11 11:48:56PM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
So it took a week for Hamill's comment to sink in and light dat fire under your ass page?? obviously you knew about the comment before your last two interviews, but now out of the blue the comment gets you all hot and bothered? How about you got a stern talking to from the Bigs and they had to explain (maybe even draw a picture or two i like to think they were done in water colors) that "not being interested" in an opponant sure da hell aint goin to sell or hype a fight. Especialy when the injury bug has been molesting upcoming fight cards and not being nice about it. Seems like page has been put on damage control, but it's a little late, aside from hamill stealing page's double qaurter pounder, there isn't anything thats going to give this fight some life. It's a shame too, I liked the fight and I will still be pulling for Hamill, only feeling a little more confident about it now.

Post #12   5/20/11 2:57:05AM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:281-172
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
Rampage has always been on of my favorite fighters to watch. I'm glad he's more motivated and to be honest, since he got the nod against Machida, if he knocks out Hamil impressively who's to say Rampage can't fight Jon Jones in September since Rashad is tied up with Phil in October?

I think Rampage still has one last run in him. Once he loses though I think that A-Team sequel is whats going to happen.

Post #13   5/20/11 4:05:31AM