Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Sonnen suspended indefinitely

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
*BREAKING NEWS*

Live from Josh Gross twitter feed who is at the hearing.

"Back to the motion for indefinite suspension, which was seconded by Giza. 4-1 motion passes, the indefinite suspension remains."

Link

EDIT:

Keith Kizer testified regarding conversations he had with Matt Lindland and the phantom conversations he had with Chael Sonnen.
Sonnen testified and said he never intended to make it sound like he had a conversation with Keith Kizer before confirming he never spoke to him nor the other commission director or commissioner regarding testosterone use and exemption. He stands by his testimony back in Dec. 2010, though.
Sonnen confirms that UFC is planning on making him a coach for the upcoming season 14 of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) opposite Michael Bisping. The winner of their fight later this year would receive a title shot.
Sonnen states that if he doesn't get his license today he's "effectively retired and that comes from Dana White." Chael wells up when saying he just wants to go back to work and doesn't want to retire.
Chael claims he needs testosterone for "survival" and he has the testosterone of "a 93 year-old man."
After being asked about his testosterone treatment, Sonnen says he's taking it to this day and is monitored at least twice a month.
Sonnen's camp attempted to allow a declaration from Matt Lindland but California would not allow it.
In the closing arguments, Sonnen gets painted as a liar and a man who cannot be trusted. He is "always looking for someone else to blame," according to Deputy DA Karen Chappelle.
Sonnen's lawyers paint him as a man who is a "fundamentally good person." They also ask the commission to consider Dana White's words that if no license is obtained, Sonnen is effectively done in MMA.
The motion to uphold the indefinite suspension passes by a vote of 4-1. The indefinite suspension remains.

Last edited 5/18/11 3:50PM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   5/18/11 3:39:50PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
From what I've read from twitter and the news sites breaking this it sounds like a witch hunt.

I get Sonnen messed up when it came to the money laundering, but he's paid for that. How can they hold it against him when he's applying for a licence which has nothing to do with his previous crime?

I also don't get how the UFC's Dr knew about Sonnen's treatment.

The athletic commission granted him a licence for it in 2009 (knowing its was an ongoing treatment)

Refuse to hear Lindland's statements.

Hear he naturally has the testosterone of a 96 year old man and is monitored at least twice a month.

Originally suspend him for 1 year.

Reduce it to a 6 month suspension.

Then increase it to an indefinite suspension.

Still refuse him a licence.

And then have the balls to say it was an un-bias hearing when one of the people speaking against him is on the panel voting on the end result!

Last edited 5/18/11 4:07PM server time by SmileR

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   5/18/11 4:01:27PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,636-993
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Wow this is messed up. I feel bad for Sonnen.

The money laundering.... I don't care. Straight up. We are the slaves and money is the master. If you can break the chains by which you are enslaved, do it.

Sonnen is not a rapist like Jeremy Jackson. He is not a woman beater like other former UFC employees. He is not a murderer.

I think he just got caught up in a persona he made to sell his fight with AS. Maybe he is a compulsive liar. I am sure we all know those people who you look at and say "Dude, why'd you lie? If you would've told the truth, it would've been ok". Some people just can't help it. Some people lie for the sake of lying. If that is the case with Sonnen, I don't think it's worth suspending him over.

Athletes are not role models, nor should they be. Sonnen is a fighter, and he should be allowed to fight.

Post #3   5/18/11 5:36:46PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

From what I've read from twitter and the news sites breaking this it sounds like a witch hunt.

I get Sonnen messed up when it came to the money laundering, but he's paid for that. How can they hold it against him when he's applying for a licence which has nothing to do with his previous crime?

I also don't get how the UFC's Dr knew about Sonnen's treatment.

The athletic commission granted him a licence for it in 2009 (knowing its was an ongoing treatment)

Refuse to hear Lindland's statements.

Hear he naturally has the testosterone of a 96 year old man and is monitored at least twice a month.

Originally suspend him for 1 year.

Reduce it to a 6 month suspension.

Then increase it to an indefinite suspension.

Still refuse him a licence.

And then have the balls to say it was an un-bias hearing when one of the people speaking against him is on the panel voting on the end result!

totally agree with you, dont see how this is justified. he served his suspensions plus it is a medical condition on way he used testosterone. makes no sense to me

Post #4   5/18/11 5:48:35PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,626-950
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I have no idea whether or not his testosterone treatments are legit or not...I'll avoid speculating though because I have no evidence to say otherwise.

Still, he lied about having a conversation with Keiser in order to make himself sound innocent. He seems to have a problem with lying.

I'd like to see him back in the ring, but he needs to just come clean and be honest.

Post #5   5/18/11 5:59:10PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:2,005-1,109
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
He's done nothing but lie and lie and lie. He's not exactly helping himself, and I could care less about seeing him back. When it comes down to it, Sonnen is just a shitty person, and I'm not even trying to bash him. I haven't seen anything from him to make me feel remotely sorry for the guy.

Post #6   5/18/11 6:17:43PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:

I for one love it!!!!!!!!! Everything that spews from Sonnens mouth is sewage IMO. Have fun in Japan Chael!!!

Post #7   5/18/11 6:20:18PM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,072-1,101
Chips:
This is absolutely ridiculous, I agree this smells like a witch hunt and the commission is letting their dislike for him get in the way here. Chael is a fighter let him fight, especially when he's in his prime right now. He is the best fighter he has ever been right now (and will probly ever be), and because of a few mistakes he can't capitalize. He has a chance to do things in his career that if you look back just 5 years ago, you would never have thought he could do. Win a world championship, Coach Tuf, and possibly be the only man that can beat Anderson at 185. If he really does retire because of this, idc how you feel about Sonnen you can't say he deserved this ending. Shame on the commission, I'm literally very upset about this.

Post #8   5/18/11 6:26:46PM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,072-1,101
Chips:
Also if you say he deserves this and your glad to see him gone then plainly and flat out; You just don't care about seeing the best fighters in the world fight. He is clearly one of the very best 185ers out there, and if you argue that then your being beyond bias. Like someone stated above, his biggest crime is he is a liar, EVERYONE LIES. This shouldn't cost him his career. Disgusting.

Post #9   5/18/11 6:30:37PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
Everyone who says this is a witch hunt needs to realize that Chael Sonnen Created this himself.

The most serious thing he did was lie? He committed PERGURY IN A COURT OF LAW! He LIED TO A JUDGE! Yeah, that's pretty serious, and punishable by incarceration by itself!

Everyone should stop throwing Sonnen a pity-party right now:
-He cheated, elevating his testosterone to FOUR TIMES the legal amount (16.9 to 1 as opposed to 4 to 1)
-He lied during his hearing, which is pergury.
-He tried to cover up his actions by Throwing the Nevada athletic commisioner under this bus, which is just stupid.

and on top of that...

-He's a Felon in the federal Court of Law! People go to PRISON for Money Laundering, and Chael Sonnen got 2 years probation! He's getting a slap on the wrist for this!

And you people feel sorry for him? People say he did his time...NO, He DIDN'T do his time. He served a 6 month suspension that only got reduced to from a year because he committed Purgery and misled a judge. He still got off easy from his money laundering, and he will be suspended indefinetly for throwing Kizer under the Bus and Lying to a judge!

Remember, this is the same guy who denied the Lance armstrong Comments on a 40 minute interview.

The guy is a Liar, a Cheater, and a Felon, . It's Finally come back to bite him. I show no sympathy.

If any of us commmited the same actions Sonnen did, we'd get the same, no, we'd get WORSE punishment because we aren't famous. Probation for money laundering is a joke.

Live by the sword, Die by the Sword: Chael Sonnen just got Decapitated

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 5/18/11 7:36PM server time by ChokeUout
4 total post edits

Post #10   5/18/11 6:53:34PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,247-738
Chips:

Posted by ChokeUout

Everyone who says this is a witch hunt needs to realize that Chael Sonnen Created this himself.

The most serious thing he did was lie? He committed PERGURY IN A COURT OF LAW! Yeah, that's pretty serious, and punishable by incarceration by itself!

-He cheated, elevating his testosterone to FOUR TIMES the legal amount (16.9 to 1 as opposed to 4 to 1)
-He tried to cover up his actions by Throwing the Nevada athletic commisioner under this bus, which is just stupid.

and on top of that...

-He's a Felon in the federal Court of Law! People go to PRISON for Money Laundering, and Chael Sonnen got 2 years probation! He's getting a slap on the wrist for this!

And you people feel sorry for him? People say he did his time...NO, He DIDN'T do his time. He served a 6 month suspension that only got reduced to from a year because he committed Purgery and misled a judge. He still got off easy from his money laundering, and he will be suspended indefinetly for throwing Kizer under the Bus and Lying to a judge!

Remember, this is the same guy who denied the Lance armstrong Comments on a 40 minute iunterview.

The guy is a Liar, a Cheater, a Felon, and a snake. It's Finally come back to bite him. I show no sympathy.

If any of us commmited the same actions Sonnen did, we'd get the same, no, we'd get WORSE punishment because we aren't famous. Probatino for money laundering is a joke.

Please ChokeUout... Your a quality poster, I'd hate for you to be banned as people could see this is as fighter bashing.

All I will say on the subject is fighters are fighters, there legacy will continue. Sonnen was the man to beat Silva for 23 minutes and then got caught in a fight that will never be forgotten. At least Sonnen was beaten by Maia and Silva in his UFC career, so we saw his weaknesses so we can compare him in the future on his strengths and weakness' unlike someone like Jon Jones going through this, a prospect we have no idea of his weakness and his undefeated streak.

If Chael's career really has come to an early end then it's a shame for his fans, Anderson Silva, his haters, Dana and the future of the MIddleweight Division. But one thing won't be forgotten on his career his Fight of the year with Silva.

Last edited 5/18/11 7:13PM server time by jjeans
2 total post edits

Dirty Blue

Post #11   5/18/11 7:07:43PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,684-1,420
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I feel for sonnen
They are just blacklisting him
Now with tuf next year I think winner of cruz/faber vs torres

Or even a fitch vs penn

Post #12   5/18/11 7:20:24PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
Everything I said was factual. Everything I said, Chael did. Go to whatever Law book or statute book you want to and you'll see that everything I said is true. Follow the events leading up to this and you'll see it all qualifies. He's a liar, a cheater, and a felon.

As for the pic, it's a metaphor to go along with the "live by the sword, die by the sword". It's not fighter bashing, in the least. I thought it was funny. And if anyone wants to consider banning me for that, they need to get thicker skin, period.

I could care less about Sonnen's fighting career right now. What bothers me is that people are brushing his actions under the rug like they are no big deal. Not only are they a big deal, he's getting off EASY for what he did! He's been dishonest this whole time, and it's caught up to him. People talking about how it's not fair need to realize that that's how society works! You lie, you cheat, you commit crimes, it catches up to you

Point blank.

Last edited 5/18/11 7:36PM server time by ChokeUout

Post #13   5/18/11 7:35:16PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by ChokeUout

The most serious thing he did was lie? He committed PERGURY IN A COURT OF LAW! He LIED TO A JUDGE! Yeah, that's pretty serious, and punishable by incarceration by itself!

and on top of that...

Remember, this is the same guy who denied the Lance armstrong Comments on a 40 minute interview.

The guy is a Liar, a Cheater, a Felon, and a snake. It's Finally come back to bite him. I show no sympathy.

If any of us commmited the same actions Sonnen did, we'd get the same, no, we'd get WORSE punishment because we aren't famous. Probation for money laundering is a joke.

1. His money laundering was a legit mistake, one that was against the law, but one that only required him to pay a fine and remit his license. Oh, and he's not a felon because he wasn't convicted of the charge. Maybe you should become acquainted with white collar crime and the red tape that sometimes accompanies high end business dealings and the law.

2. Sonnen DOES have a legit medical reason for the testosterone treatment, I can't say he lied for sure, because there is so much he said she said going on that it's hard to keep track, which is a good reason why you should not jump to conclusions about a situation you are not intimately privy to. The issue lies in whether or not he thought he had been allowed to administer the testosterone, that's it, it's not fair to demonize the guy into a "snake" because he wasn't wronging anyone or cheating.

Last edited 5/18/11 7:42PM server time by warglory

Post #14   5/18/11 7:41:20PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
Although I enjoy watching him fight I believe his is a compulsive liar and hopefully this is a wake up call for him to change his ways.

Post #15   5/18/11 7:43:21PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4